Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was your worst day at work?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Oh Jeez, I wish I hadn't found this thread. I'm starting my first job in 10 days time and really don't want to have to worry about these nightmares that you lot have put up with. Curses.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was going to post a tale of First-World woe about the pathetic newspaper business, but reading these posts from people who have bad days in jobs that matter, I don't think I'll bore you with it. Much respect to Edna and the rest.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
When I did a paper round I gave someone a paper and as i walked away they threw it in the recycling :( , also someone had a go at me for leaving a newspaper on their garden wall because it blew all over their front garden :moo:

Last edited:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
A child we could not resuscitate three days before last Xmas whilst the parents looked on.
Worst day of my entire life so far .:(:nono::down::shit:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
For all those that work in child care, ambulance, nurse, doctor, police....

Thank you you do incredible jobs.

It makes bad days in the flooring world look like nothing, although you would think it was the end of the world the way some people complain about having a wrong coloured biscuit shade of beige carpet as opposed to a oatmeal shade of beige delivered by mistake.....

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
When I did a paper round I gave someone a paper and as i walked away they threw it in the recycling :( , also someone had a go at me for leaving a newspaper on their garden wall because it blew all over their front garden :moo:

so basically pathetic compared to others on here, nobody likes free newspapers.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
2 spring to mind for me.
The first I recall hauntingly was in an old job where it was our task to get rid of sexual snaps on MSN personal files. Most of what was illicitly found was tame enough stuff, or so it seemed after worse items were uncovered, of proud woodies with stolen undies dangling from them and a man in an over-personal and excited state with a glum Dalmatian, but for the end of my time there the company sought to keep MSN's contract by hunting down paedophile sites they unknowingly hosted. I remember one of the sites and the images from it, only glanced at, feel like permanent ghastly etchings on my psyche. Horrid and evil.

The second was in my current job when I returned too soon to it from the whole bike accident coma thing. I wasn't ready at all. I attempted to talk on the phones for a couple of days and answer queries, but I barely even knew the names of colleagues so couldn't at all compute what a stranger needed through the black hole my left temporal lobe had become and the deafness on one side. On such a call all of a sudden words couldn't come into my mouth and instead an ungodly babble erupted, as if I was possessed by some Neanderthal. The minutes themselves were shocking and off I disappeared in an incurable panic. I was off work for another few months then, in fear and pain really. Whilst it wasn't deathly, it was like a rebirth of sadness in me and I struggled for such a time after with its chill seemingly unquellable.
I'm alright now though. :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Got attacked by a member of the Irish travelling community. He used a screwdriver and managed to stab me in the chest, shoulder and kneecap before I got him under control. Police bailed him and he disappeared.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Two school related incidents.
One a 15 year old boy "dying" during a PE lesson.......we managed to bring him back before the ambulance arrived. His parents told us AFTERWARDS about a condition that he had which had caused this at a previous school.
A 13/14 year old girl in agony with stomach pains.It was an ectopic pregnancy caused by her being raped by her father.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I've got two, for different reasons.

Firstly when I worked at McDonald's i used to deliver the apprenticeship but the manager in charge never believed me when I said they are disenchanted with the entire programme and thought their lack of progress was down to me being awful at my job. After one of my apprentices didn't make enough progress and the entire role I had with their personal development was taken away from me. It was the first real bit of failure I had to deal with, especially as it wasn't down to me which was proven by the fact one has only just finished and one left after i left. It hurt to have something I cared about taken.

The other was a day I couldn't find my keys and came in late. The train I was supposed to be on hit some one at Hassocks with my colleague who I should have been working with on there. And it was quite nasty too. I felt so guilty. Just as the day finishes up a 14 year old boy dies drunk after stepping on the third rail up at Horely or Purley (i can't remember which). That day really really sucked.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Since changing to working in radio, I've had to deal (as the physically nearest bloke) with someone come in threatening to kill someone who wasn't even in the building at the time; and another day getting involved with the panic of someone phoning in threatening to jump off a bridge - and on checking with the police, he was on one. Neither were particularly great days but the various emergency services workers on here have me well beat though.

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
Mine will live with me forever. I volunteered for a few extra hours at work a few years back and didn't finish until 11:30. Normally I get home to everyone asleep but my mum was still up (odd). She told me my grandad had suffered a heart attack and died shortly after. The worse bit was I turned down the chance to see him that day for the few extra quid.

Everyone who works in the NHS, Police or any emergency service gets all my respect and I will never moan if there is ever a que at A&E because they are working their very best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here