Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Noah Blockbuster Film "massive spoiler alert "

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Normally I'd agree with you 100% on this one, but have to confess to thoroughly enjoying Gravity despite the presence of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock and any kind of believable element whatsoever. Maybe that was a one-off? Would still have preferred if she'd had to do battle with a shark at the end tho.

I still can't tell what I thought of Gravity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The constant movement made me feel a bit sick.

Yup got definite motion sickness in the cinema from that bit early on where the camera is seeing through Sandy Bollocks' eyes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Worst film I've seen for years, by a country mile.

Definitely in some respects. As a spectacle it was fairly good, but plot/dialogue/having any attachment for the characters at all = absolutely ZERO.

By the SIXTH time Sandy Bollocks survives by her fingernails, you stop caring because it's obvious she's going to survive.

Oh didn't realise it was Darren Aronofsky.. that might make it worth a go..

Do it - Noah doesn't deserve the kicking it's got, Aronofsky is one hell of a talent. I thought the film was wonderful, yes totally absurd in parts but it's completely unlike any film I've seen before, utterly loopy.

It's meant to portray Noah as some kind of eco-activist but I didnt see much of that, he's just a boiler-plate religious fundamentalist nutter - amazed it didn't get the Life of Brian treatment from US religious types but maybe this shows a good thing that they've calmed down a bit over the years. The stone fallen angels are brilliant. Kermode called it 'a preposterous but endearingly unhinged epic' but Robbie Collin in the Telegraph had the best review of it below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...9/Noah-review-astonishing-and-miraculous.html

Was American Hustle this year?

UK film bible Sight and Sound threw a big wobbly because it was released third week of December - making it too late to appear in its poll of best films of 2013 but obviously by definition ineligible for its 2014 poll. The cinephile canon compilers worry about such stuff

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Definitely in some respects. As a spectacle it was fairly good, but plot/dialogue/having any attachment for the characters at all = absolutely ZERO.

By the SIXTH time Sandy Bollocks survives by her fingernails, you stop caring because it's obvious she's going to survive.

I was 100% expecting a shark to appear at the end. Felt cheated. Tho she would have doubtless stabbed it to death with her remaining fingernail.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was 100% expecting a shark to appear at the end. Felt cheated. Tho she would have doubtless stabbed it to death with her remaining fingernail.

I was chuckling to myself for that brief moment she stood on the beach, hoping something ridiculous (a cow etc) would fall out of the sky and flatten her.

Her
Grand Budapest Hotel
American Hustle

?

Her probably my number one too - but Calvary brilliant and apart from the soppy Will Ferrell bits at end, you gotta love the Lego Movie

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
UK film bible Sight and Sound threw a big wobbly because it was released third week of December - making it too late to appear in its poll of best films of 2013 but obviously by definition ineligible for its 2014 poll. The cinephile canon compilers worry about such stuff

True

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do it - Noah doesn't deserve the kicking it's got, Aronofsky is one hell of a talent. I thought the film was wonderful, yes totally absurd in parts but it's completely unlike any film I've seen before, utterly loopy.

It's meant to portray Noah as some kind of eco-activist but I didnt see much of that, he's just a boiler-plate religious fundamentalist nutter - amazed it didn't get the Life of Brian treatment from US religious types but maybe this shows a good thing that they've calmed down a bit over the years. The stone fallen angels are brilliant. Kermode called it 'a preposterous but endearingly unhinged epic' but Robbie Collin in the Telegraph had the best review of it below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...9/Noah-review-astonishing-and-miraculous.html

Could not agree more LI. I thought it was barkingly brilliant. I loved it. The acting is very good and the storyline always interesting. Loved the rock monster, fallen angels

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's all about what different people want from a film, isn't it?

For me, a film needs to tick a few of the following boxes:

Well acted
Interesting plot
Engaging characters
Well written dialogue

Meanwhile, I couldn't give LESS of a shit about:

Special FX
Big bangs and booms
3D

Thus, I'm going to hate a film like Avatar, and love a film like Withnail & I.

Meanwhile, though who like fizzbangs and seeing what computers can do (why not just watch a tech demo rather than sit through 2 hours with rubbish dialogue and plot to get to the tech demo bits?) will like Transformers etc.

What if the film was

Well acted
Interesting plot
Engaging characters
Well written dialogue

AND had

Special FX
Big bangs and booms

Would it be dismissed out of hand because of the latter ? or would it be enjoyed because of the former

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What if the film was

Well acted
Interesting plot
Engaging characters
Well written dialogue

AND had

Special FX
Big bangs and booms

Would it be dismissed out of hand because of the latter ? or would it be enjoyed because of the former

It would be enjoyed. I like most Christopher Nolan films.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Anyone seen it?

I remember a few months back when it was in the cinemas,Religious groups moaning how inaccurate it was.
I did think at the time crikey these people moan about everything.The Noah story is the Noah story,its impossible to mess up.

Having seen it last night,i couldnt have been more wrong.
This may possibly the worst inaccurate interpretation of a story by hollywood scriptwriters in the history of film........EVER!

By the end i was half expecting Lassie to appear barking "land ahoy"

If you sat through the end credits, she did!

Worst film of 2014 so far and I've seen a few. Never seen so many people leave a cinema showing since some duff Adam Sandler shit I sat through a few years back. When I saw it in Crawley only 20 odd people were left at the end and there must have been 100+ to start with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here