Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving while on a mobile phone!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I admit that I hate people breaking the law especially when it puts lived at risk. If you kill someone tomorrow while using a mobile phone it will certainly be a jail term

Like I keep saying, if I kill anyone as a result of being careless then I'll thoroughly deserve to go inside. I'm not even really disagreeing with what you're saying. I just can't accept everyone acting so morally superior over something that is nowhere near as dangerous as some of the other behaviour I witness every day on the motorway.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My point is why is it illegal to use your phone and drive but not to Eat, Drink (non alcohol) and drive?

What was/is the stats for people killed by drivers using phones before it was illegal?

I think its got more to do with making money, millions drive, millions use phones lets make a law the combines the two and make loads of dosh.

Look what's happening to diesel drivers. They got to pay more tax and pay double to go into the centre of London (2020). Is it fair that because you use a different fuel u get punished?

It is all a cash cow when it comes to driving.

And there in lies the problem, Anything aimed at improving road safety is seen as just a money grabbing exercise rather than for what it actually is, to try to prevent serious injury or even deaths on the roads.

Also surely things like eating whilst driving are covered (or should be covered) by dangerous or careless driving laws, especially if the driver is unable to keep the vehicle in the centre of the lane and is weaving about.

I'd love to see those who think its all about making money speaking to the families of other who died as a result of a road accident where something like mobile phone use was a contributing factor and for them to say that the Police shouldn't try to crack down on this sort of behaviour because its all about raising money through fines rather than saving someone's life, like their lost relative.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is it OK to use a CB radio mike or for the Police/Ambulance to use radio comms if it's not OK to use a mobile ???

Legally? In terms of police/ambulance, it's because what you're referring to is a two way radio that doesn't require any numbers to be located or dialled or even a screen looked at, simply a talk button. Doesn't fall within the remit of the legislation.

Also, many emergency vehicles have a microphone button located on a stalk as part of the steering set up, enabling the driver to press it and talk on the radio with no more movement or dexterity that would be required to click your indicators or windscreen wipers on.

The alternative of course would be to have your police or ambulance driver racing to your 999 call pull over every time somebody called him or her on the radio during the journey to your location. That could be ten or fifteen times, depending on the call and your ability to find the exact location whilst driving, unaccompanied, in the dark, and with no sat-nav to guide you (apart from your own mobile phone, which you wouldn't be using at that point owing to the fact that you were driving).

Does that help?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And there in lies the problem, Anything aimed at improving road safety is seen as just a money grabbing exercise rather than for what it actually is, to try to prevent serious injury or even deaths on the roads.

Also surely things like eating whilst driving are covered (or should be covered) by dangerous or careless driving laws, especially if the driver is unable to keep the vehicle in the centre of the lane and is weaving about.

I'd love to see those who think its all about making money speaking to the families of other who died as a result of a raod accident where something like mobile phone use was a contributing factor and for them to say that the Police shouldn't try to crack down on this sort of behaviour because its all about raising money through fines rather than saving someone live, like their lost relative.

Quite.

www.roadpeace.org

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Like I keep saying, if I kill anyone as a result of being careless then I'll thoroughly deserve to go inside. I'm not even really disagreeing with what you're saying. I just can't accept everyone acting so morally superior over something that is nowhere near as dangerous as some of the other behaviour I witness every day on the motorway.

I concede it is possible to use a mobile phone whilst driving and not be "careless". However, I'm sure it will be deemed negligent should an accident occur even if that accident was not caused by you.

Example; you are stationary at a red light and another vehicle ploughs into the back of you. Whether you are drunk or on a mobile phone [captured on CCTV] your gonna get a ticket.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I'd love to see those who think its all about making money speaking to the families of other who died as a result of a road accident where something like mobile phone use was a contributing factor and for them to say that the Police shouldn't try to crack down on this sort of behaviour because its all about raising money through fines rather than saving someone's life, like their lost relative.

A family member could easily be killed by a driver whos tyre as blown out on the motor way. We all risk our life's every single time we get behind the wheel. It is a known fact that drivers are targeted when it comes to making money.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Legally? In terms of police/ambulance, it's because what you're referring to is a two way radio that doesn't require any numbers to be located or dialled or even a screen looked at, simply a talk button. Doesn't fall within the remit of the legislation.

Also, many emergency vehicles have a microphone button located on a stalk as part of the steering set up, enabling the driver to press it and talk on the radio with no more movement or dexterity that would be required to click your indicators or windscreen wipers on.

The alternative of course would be to have your police or ambulance driver racing to your 999 call pull over every time somebody called him or her on the radio during the journey to your location. That could be ten or fifteen times, depending on the call and your ability to find the exact location whilst driving, unaccompanied, in the dark, and with no sat-nav to guide you (apart from your own mobile phone, which you wouldn't be using at that point owing to the fact that you were driving).

Does that help?

Don't police cars or ambulances have sat navs? That's a bit odd.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I concede it is possible to use a mobile phone whilst driving and not be "careless". However, I'm sure it will be deemed negligent should an accident occur even if that accident was not caused by you.

Example; you are stationary at a red light and another vehicle ploughs into the back of you. Whether you are drunk or on a mobile phone [captured on CCTV] your gonna get a ticket.

That's a risk you have to accept if you're going to break the law. Having thought about what I typed last night I probably shouldn't have slipped into wind-up mode if I was also going to try and be honest and make a point :facepalm:

I fully believe this law needs to be in place, most drivers can't be trusted to change lanes at the right time so recognising the dangers of being on a mobile and fully concentrating will be beyond most. As an experienced driver who spends dozens of hours every week on the motorway I know I'm more than capable of holding a phone to my ear and keeping myself aware and safe. I have to be really careful not to rack up points on my license because losing it would be a life changer so I take the precautions that I said before - drop the speed a bit, get in the inside lane and most importantly have a mental picture of every car around you so you see the fuzz before they see you. The blackberry is easy to make a call on, you don't need to take you're eyes off the road for any longer than you would looking at a speedo or in the mirror.
If I'm in a place that requires lots of gear changes then it's easy to pull over anyway.

With all that in mind I refuse to believe that I'm somehow selfish or morally bankrupt, I just don't think it's as black and white as people think and as such they shouldn't get so worked up about it. I accept that attitude is arrogant in the extreme, but I'd rather be like that than comply with something I genuinely believe shouldn't apply to me.
The people who start beeping and waving their arms around because they've spotted the phone are definitely more dangerous at that point in time than I am! In any case I shall be joining the ranks of the non law breakers next month as the the new car has bluetooth.

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
have you considered that by using a mobile phone (and what you have been saying here), you may actually be encouraging others that havent your/skill experience to also do so? and that driver may then go on and cause an accident which changes an innocent persons life?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
That's a risk you have to accept if you're going to break the law. Having thought about what I typed last night I probably shouldn't have slipped into wind-up mode if I was also going to try and be honest and make a point :facepalm:

I fully believe this law needs to be in place, most drivers can't be trusted to change lanes at the right time so recognising the dangers of being on a mobile and fully concentrating will be beyond most. As an experienced driver who spends dozens of hours every week on the motorway I know I'm more than capable of holding a phone to my ear and keeping myself aware and safe. I have to be really careful not to rack up points on my license because losing it would be a life changer so I take the precautions that I said before - drop the speed a bit, get in the inside lane and most importantly have a mental picture of every car around you so you see the fuzz before they see you. The blackberry is easy to make a call on, you don't need to take you're eyes off the road for any longer than you would looking at a speedo or in the mirror.
If I'm in a place that requires lots of gear changes then it's easy to pull over anyway.

With all that in mind I refuse to believe that I'm somehow selfish or morally bankrupt, I just don't think it's as black and white as people think and as such they shouldn't get so worked up about it. I accept that attitude is arrogant in the extreme, but I'd rather be like that than comply with something I genuinely believe shouldn't apply to me.
The people who start beeping and waving their arms around because they've spotted the phone are definitely more dangerous at that point in time than I am! In any case I shall be joining the ranks of the non law breakers next month as the the new car has bluetooth.

Taking away the extreme life changing events, like crippling injuries, major organ injury and even death. The only real concern you have with using a mobile phone while driving is that it is an unfair law and you could possibly incur a life changing event by getting too many point on your license. The points as you see it are the only real risk to you as you are such a competent driver with or without a phone stuck to your ear.

Therefore, in order for you to eliminate the risk of loss of earnings why don’t you simply take the precaution of not using your mobile phone along with as you say “dropping the speed a bit, get in the inside lane and most importantly have a mental picture of every car around you so you see the fuzz before they see you”. I am certain that if you were 3 points from a ban you would stop, but until you get to that point you endanger those around you.

Even the most formidable of drivers are not above the law and this includes you, F1 Drivers etc. I would say that even if you are so fantastic behind the wheel that your reaction speed is 0.001% slower while using a mobile phone you would regret everything you have said when your car plows into the back of a car that is carrying a young family. Your activity is selfish no matter which way you look at it.

I am talking about mobile phones specifically and other activities are also bad but this thread was opened as this is the one area that I personally see being flaunted each and everyday.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

I totally agree with all what you have said on this thread. Watch out for [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] tho he is going through my post and given them the thumbs done because he don't agree but not touched your post.. Hmmm think he might have a thing for me. :love:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So you think the law should be that anyone who thinks they are a good driver (like yourself), should be allowed to use their phone ??? A sort of self-assessment. I find having a few drinks doesn't effect my driving as much as some of these bad, inexperienced drivers, so i should be allowed to drink more. Maybe we should campaign together

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I do this all the time, I find it quite amusing when people get pissed off about it!

The stupid thing is that I can eat a maccys or KFC burger at the wheel and nobody bats an eyelid. I stand by my record though, approx 100,000 miles since it was made illegal and never had one near miss and never been busted.

It's perfectly safe as long as you bear in mind it's illegal and take extra care to get the basics right - Slow down a bit to account for an extra bit of reaction time, keep an acceptable distance from the car in front and keep an eye in your mirror for colourful blue and yellow stripes.

If you crash when you're on the phone it's because you're a **** and a crap driver who couldn't pay attention or change their driving according to the conditions. Every driver risks killing someone the second they get on the road, doing it because you were on the phone is no better or worse than for any other reason - there's tons of things that can take your attention if you don't recognise tham and deal with them.

New car is being delivered next month though and it's got built in bluetooth so it's with great sadness that I won't be able to wind up the busybodies anymore :down:

This just reinforces my view that we have some absolute morons on here.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Clive, I totally accept what you're saying but the conditions to cause fluctuating reactions happen every day, it's human nature. The only accident I've ever caused was in a Tesco car park - I was working long hours and I'd just split with my partner so had a lot on my mind. I looked the wrong way at a junction because I wasn't concentrating and hit a car, it can happen at any point if you let your guard down behind the wheel, most likely I let mine down because of the low speed. Who's to say I'm concentrating less on the phone than a really fat person who is thinking about dinner or a nurse driving home after a long shift. Being a good driver is about recognising the dangers and driving accordingly, you could cut my reaction time by 10% and I still wouldn't plough into the back of anyone because my speed and distance from the car in front is appropriate.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I totally agree with all what you have said on this thread. Watch out for [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] tho he is going through my post and given them the thumbs done because he don't agree but not touched your post.. Hmmm think he might have a thing for me. :love:

To be fair I can understand why people would think I'm an ar5ehole for saying this. I do however believe what I'm saying, perhaps I'm wrong on some levels, on others I know I'm right. That's life, you don't have to play by the rules all the time, I'm happy to make my decisions and fall o my sword if I need to.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Clive, I totally accept what you're saying but the conditions to cause fluctuating reactions happen every day, it's human nature. The only accident I've ever caused was in a Tesco car park - I was working long hours and I'd just split with my partner so had a lot on my mind. I looked the wrong way at a junction because I wasn't concentrating and hit a car, it can happen at any point if you let your guard down behind the wheel, most likely I let mine down because of the low speed. Who's to say I'm concentrating less on the phone than a really fat person who is thinking about dinner or a nurse driving home after a long shift. Being a good driver is about recognising the dangers and driving accordingly, you could cut my reaction time by 10% and I still wouldn't plough into the back of anyone because my speed and distance from the car in front is appropriate.

I think there is something different about lack on concentration and the concious decision to physically pick up your mobile. Somethings cannot be naturally avoided but others can. I think a nurse who is tired should think twice about driving as much as an idiot who cant wait ten mins to hold a call on his phone should.

The only evidence on your side is your own self condfidence, whereas scientists have proven that people on the road usinga mob are a risk.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
A family member could easily be killed by a driver whos tyre as blown out on the motor way. We all risk our life's every single time we get behind the wheel. It is a known fact that drivers are targeted when it comes to making money.

if it was a money making scheme then it would and should be more than a £60 fine.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Would you agree that drivers are targets to make money Clive regardless of the rights or wrongs of using a phone behind the wheel?

You may have to give me an example, but in my opinion a monetary fine is the only way to deter all people. I think a 3/6/9 month driving suspension may be more of a deterrent but far too costly and complicated to manage because the numbers of people on suspension would be far greater.

I don’t actually think the gov make much money as the fines are so petty. But if they do then its just an added bonus!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't police cars or ambulances have sat navs? That's a bit odd.

I think the ambulances do actually.

Our cars don't. Too expensive...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here