Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland board reflecting NSC?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You got a link for that anywhere?

Ulloa 23 goals in 50 games (2.2 games a goal)
Wood at Birmingham 11 goals in 29 games (2.6 games a goal)
Wood at Leicester 19 goals in 53 games (2.8 goals a game)

That's just 4 goals less in 3 more games than Ulloa who, by all accounts, had a superb time at the Albion. Wood played 26 games last season for champions Leicester. It seems that the Leicester manager thinks that he's doing okay. The cold hard stats back this up too.

Wood had a purple match at Millwall, but I'm not convinced by his stats at Leicester - he was afterall playing for the best side in the league. That said, I wouldn't mind him here, although I'd definitely prefer taking a risk on a rough diamond from elsewhere in Europe because I just don't see Wood's scoring record ever matching Ulloa's.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have they also got loads of threads about their ex-managers?

Its weird, it's like people want to talk about things related to their club, such as ex-managers. SO freaky.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This was at a Fans Forum. I would imagine you could find it on Nsc by doing a search. Try searching for West Brom to narrow it down.

You imagine wrong. You've had me on a wild goose chase. Nothing in the Fans Forum threads and absolutely no mention in a thread where Wood was being linked with a move to the Amex in 2011. Sorry but I don't believe Poyet said this. More likely he was released to free up funds for a marquee signing (CMS).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You imagine wrong. You've had me on a wild goose chase. Nothing in the Fans Forum threads and absolutely no mention in a thread where Wood was being linked with a move to the Amex in 2011. Sorry but I don't believe Poyet said this. More likely he was released to free up funds for a marquee signing (CMS).

How do you release a player who isn't ours to release? If we don't get Lingard on loan this season, will that be Burke's fault? Manchester Utd will decide where he goes, if anywhere.

I heard him say it myself but you haven't found the proof. That doesn't mean that he didn't say it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet was asked about Wood in an interview, the following season, and said he wasn't given the opportunity to take him on loan again. It was up to West Brom who had the loan.

Wood had a good spell with Millwall but hardly set the world alight at Birmingham or Leicester.

Reading between the lines I'd say Poyet didn't rate him so didn't pursue him after the original loan expired. Poyet was very economical with the truth when he got things wrong, take the rubbish spouted about money he couldn't get his hands on to keep Murray (as if he ever wanted to). We only heard about this when Murray was on around 20+ goals for Palace and we were about to play them. Just before he asked TB if he could leave tomorrow.

Poyet did some great things for this club but he left at the right time. I think he thought he'd outgrown BHA, maybe he had :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How do you release a player who isn't ours to release?

I've already answered this, as well you know. He went to another Championship side immediately after leaving us. 'Release' in this instance is just a short-hand way of saying 'return to club, services no longer required.'

I heard him say it myself but you haven't found the proof. That doesn't mean that he didn't say it.

And I don't believe he said it. No mention in the fans' forum thread, no mention in the thread about Wood coming to the Amex. No mention by Gus in any of the numerous newspaper articles.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've already answered this, as well you know. He went to another Championship side immediately after leaving us. 'Release' in this instance is just a short-hand way of saying 'return to club, services no longer required.'

And I don't believe he said it. No mention in the fans' forum thread, no mention in the thread about Wood coming to the Amex. No mention by Gus in any of the numerous newspaper articles.

He went to Birmingham at the start of the next season, not immediately

I found the Argus article but you carry on calling me liar. I know what I heard.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9251374.Gus__No_regrets_over_Wood/?ref=rss

lbion manager Gus Poyet has revealed the circumstances surrounding Chris Wood's loan move to Birmingham from West Brom, rather than back to the Seagulls.

The 19-year-old New Zealander has netted four goals in his last two outings, including a hat-trick against Millwall on Sunday, after spending the last six months of last season with Albion.

“When we sent Woody back we were told the manager (Roy Hodgson) liked him a lot,” Poyet said. “The Premiership finished two weeks later and he trained with them before he went on holiday.

“The situation was that maybe we'd have a little chance to get him, so we set up our season by getting Will Hoskins early doors and then we went for Macca (Craig Mackail-Smith), who was our No. 1.

“The other option was to get a target man. Woody gives you plenty of qualities and options but I don't think you can really use him as a target man.

“I didn't want to be unfair with him and the next thing I knew he was going to Birmingham. I'm pleased for him. When you go somewhere and play regularly and are part of a winning team it gives you that extra bit of confidence to go and play well.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
“The other option was to get a target man. Woody gives you plenty of qualities and options but I don't think you can really use him as a target man.
.”

The plonker. He let the best target man go to Palace and spent two years trying to replace him :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Keep your hair on. I didn't call you a liar. I said I didn't believe Poyet said it.

As it is the article you found backs up my assertion. Poyet had the opportunity to sign Wood and declined in favour of CMS.

I've no idea how you read that as Poyet not having the option of signing him. Quite bizarre.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Keep your hair on. I didn't call you a liar. I said I didn't believe Poyet said it.

As it is the article you found Becks up my assertion. Poyet had the opportunity to sign Wood and declined in favour of CMS.

I've no idea how you read that as Poyet not having the option of signing him. Quite bizarre.

I heard him say he didn't have the opportunity. I was there. If you don't believe it, that isn't my problem.

I put in bold the parts of the article which back that up. West Brom changed manager, 'and the next thing I knew he was going to Birmingham'.

John Stephenson and Ken Brown had nothing to do with it of course. It makes me chuckle that Burke & Barber get the blame for transfers but previous directors of football and finance don't because Poyet had to be to blame for everything.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Eh? The article has Poyet saying that there was a chance to sign him. That means there was an opportunity. Poyet went instead for CMS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here