Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mate of mine kicked out of Amex ground with 7yr old kid

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A mate of mine from work was at the stadium to get his 7yr old a BHA footy shirt; saw that one of the entrances to the pitch was open and asked a guy at the enterance if it would be ok to show his kid a quick view of the pitch. Shortly after being let in he was approached by 2 security guards and asked what he was doing there. After he explained he just wanted to show his kid the view he was told to clear off.
I completely understand that security have one job, to make something secure. But it hardly makes for a magical moment and show a little bit of a Dickensian attitude towards its fans young and old.

After the Derby playoff game at the Amex, I planned to stay in the stand and wait for the Bridge car park to clear, whilst listening to the post match on the radio. I was also going to grab a burger on the way out when the food queue wasn't gridlocked. Perfectly logical on my part because you cannot get a radio signal in the concourse, and the queue was 30 people deep.

However, I was rudely told to leave by a steward and we shared a few words falling just short of a massive row, but I was basically treated like a mug punter.

I did leave that game wondering if the club really needed my support as I don't need to be dictated to on how I choose to leave the stadium.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quite a contrast to when a few mates and I sauntered over to the Goldstone Ground from Hove Park, went through the North West entrance (the one to the 'car park') and onto the pitch. My mate placed his football on the penalty spot at the North end, and promptly blazed his shot over the bar, and into the empty North Stand.

His moment of glory, well and truly gone!

There was NO-ONE around that day...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I understand your frustration, they probably could have handled the situation better but sadly we live in a time where using your discretion in these situations could cost you your job.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
When the Amex first opened, I remember seeing one of the doors unlocked and simply wondered in through the concourse, past some cleaners and stuff, went and sat in my seat etc.... no one said a word! And I do look a proper dodgy geezer too. I could have been anyone, Al-Jazeera, a Vampire. Who knows.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
My next door neighbour left their front door open recently. I thought that seeing as I'd never seen inside their house I'd wander in. The cat was in the front garden and didn't object.

I can't believe my neighbour got angry with me when they found me just looking at their kitchen. It's not like I was making breakfast.

Some people...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My next door neighbour left their front door open recently. I thought that seeing as I'd never seen inside their house I'd wander in. The cat was in the front garden and didn't object.

I can't believe my neighbour got angry with me when they found me just looking at their kitchen. It's not like I was making breakfast.

Some people...

Do you pay to go and watch TV in their front room every other Satuday and are thinking about taking your child there in the future?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Do you pay to go and watch TV in their front room every other Satuday and are thinking about taking your child there in the future?

I used to get invited in to watch England games on the telly. I haven't got any kids, thankfully.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A mate of mine from work was at the stadium to get his 7yr old a BHA footy shirt; saw that one of the entrances to the pitch was open and asked a guy at the enterance if it would be ok to show his kid a quick view of the pitch. Shortly after being let in he was approached by 2 security guards and asked what he was doing there. After he explained he just wanted to show his kid the view he was told to clear off.
I completely understand that security have one job, to make something secure. But it hardly makes for a magical moment and show a little bit of a Dickensian attitude towards its fans young and old.

Send Paul Barber an e mail

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When the Amex first opened, I remember seeing one of the doors unlocked and simply wondered in through the concourse, past some cleaners and stuff, went and sat in my seat etc.... no one said a word! And I do look a proper dodgy geezer too. I could have been anyone, Al-Jazeera, a Vampire. Who knows.

Al Jazeera ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember visiting the Goldstone midweek to buy a ticket. I was a school kid at the time and, seeing the gates open, went wondering around the pitch. No-one was there to say anything or be bothered. Good times.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
didnt we recently have an issue with security and someone leaving an "unattended package" in the away dressing room

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I remember visiting the Goldstone midweek to buy a ticket. I was a school kid at the time and, seeing the gates open, went wondering around the pitch. No-one was there to say anything or be bothered. Good times.

What were you wondering about?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I had the opposite experience with a very daft security guard.

I saw that the big access door in the North East corner was open, so wandered towards it.
The guard asked me where I was going.
I said I just wanted to peek through the big open gap in the wall.
He told me the door wasn't open!

Had he just said, I'm sorry, I can't let you go over there because we've got contractors in still so I'm here to make sure there's no accidents, I'd have been disappointed but would have understood. Telling me that my eyes weren't working properly just resulted in a stupid argument about whether the door was open or not!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here