Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you eat bread?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
if you eat too many calories than your body needs you will get fat. Therefore it's too many calories that make you fat and not carbs.

I think the problem is what your body burns, how fast it burns it and whether it stores the energy released from the burning. A calorie is a calorie but if insulin is produced and too much insulin the body stores it as fat.

There are good carbohydrate foods and bad cargo hydrate foods. Its like everyone thinks that olive oil is better for you than butter but there more calories in butter than olive oil !

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I love good quality bread and I include white bread in that. Yes going on a low carb diet will help you to lose weight. Yes if you have coeliacs avoid wheat, otherwise bread, pasta and beer are the holy trinity of gastronomy. Enjoy - you only live once !

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Only eat warberton thins and the occasional wrap not had normal bread for last five weeks feels loads better and lost a stone in weight

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Nothing like feeling superior, is there.
You two would do well to check out the 'Smug' episode of South Park.

It's not about feeling superior, it just seeing a new generation of kids being fed all this sugary crap and feeling sad.

I like Lidl ob sliced seeded white loaf (now doing a wholemeal version as well). Makes great toast and superb cheese and chutney sandwiches.

Look at my face, is it a bothered face?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Those of you who have lost weight from giving up bread, is that all you've done or is it part of a training regime ?

Nothing to do with losing weight. I was told via a test that wheat (not all gluten) was causing me a problem. So I've cut out wheat and therefore bread. I can still eat bread made with spelt wheat and I have a had a couple of slices but no more. I have changed absolutely nothing else - exercise, beer consumption and the rest of my diet. The side effect is that I've lost weight. But as other posters have said, toast does motivate you to layer on butter and other goodies.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nothing like feeling superior, is there.
You two would do well to check out the 'Smug' episode of South Park.

I have an aversion to shovelling a load of processed crap into my mouth. But to address your concerns, yes , I feel that a diet consisting of fresh vegetables and fruit is superior to the diet of mushed up chicken scraps shaped into letters of the alphabet, covered in brown batter and slammed into the oven for 18 minutes at 180 degrees then fed to a child. It's just one of my little foibles.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I used to eat 6 to 8 slices of white bread a day. I have cut that down to 2 or 3 wholemeal wraps instead and have lost a stone in a month, i still look the same size though.
Also I was told by a nutritionist that the reason bread makes you bloated is because the mass produced dough is not left long enough to ferment before being baked causing the process to continue in the stomach once eaten, Do people that eat a lot of mass produced bread fart more?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Because it's cheap, it's mass produced, it's quick to prepare with other food, it's convenient to eat and it's portable. It's also full of bleaches and sugars. When man used to eat whole wheat, basic bread in moderation it was fine but we have spent decades stuffing this crap into our kids and ourselves and if you want to deny it's a problem look at all the fat kids these days. No sport, lots sugar and wheat based products have taken their toll.

Yes. yes.Yes. Also wheat has been modified over the years. Not for health reasons but profit. Wheat in Sussex tpday is very different to 10-20 years ago. It is a greener colour, much shorter and less flexible. Try looking for a weed in a wheat field and you will be lucky to find one. Monsanto has modified plants to withstand weedkillers but Our bodies have not been modified to withstand pesticides.

I still eat bread regularly but mainly organic bread or spelt flour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will someone please cure me of this addiction.

My plan to eat less bread by having tortillas instead, didn't last.
I'm now ploughing my way through bagels like a Palestinian baker who's just heard a knock at the door.
Even I know that can't be good.

That's as well as a loaf of crappy wholemeal, and any 'nice' bread I can stuff crispy bacon into before gorging myself.

I'd be about 5 stone lighter if it wasn't for bread.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I'm really trying to eat less bread but it's too cheap and convenient to not have around. I find I feel really lightheaded too if I go a while without eating it.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Er, I grew up in Ruislip and my mum still lives there. You wife travels 2 hours from Bexhill to get a loaf of bread? Either it must be world-beating or you don't live with your wife?

Hi BC

We are regular visitors to family in East Sussex and them visa versa.
So there is a good supply of bread from deli being transported.
Its still good bread though :thumbsup:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
As has been said i felt a little bloated and low on energy after a sandwich cut it out and it stopped almost immediately; don't know the exact science but eating wheat evolutionarily speaking is relatively new for us.

This is similar to the way that drinking alcohol is even newer, so separated branches of mankind such as the Australian Aborigines and Native Americans don't tend to have the gene to process alcohol, which is thought to be a major element of alcoholism.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Have recently stopped eating bread as was suffering from stomach pains and found that removing it from my diet was the best way to stop it. It was harder than i thought it would be as everywhere you go bread is a staple on the menu, i guess i knew this before but having cut it out you notice it even more.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I stopped about 2 years ago. I read that it takes the body 3 days to digest White bread. I have also heard good things from people who have given up dairy produce. I can quite believe it because how unatural is it to drink Milk from a cow and it's not exactly natural to grind down a seed and make flour.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I stopped about 2 years ago. I read that it takes the body 3 days to digest White bread. I have also heard good things from people who have given up dairy produce. I can quite believe it because how unatural is it to drink Milk from a cow and it's not exactly natural to grind down a seed and make flour.

As natural as eating a cow's backside lightly grilled with a side order of fries?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here