Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who from this lot would actually make you/NSC happy?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Always thought Eagles was a very tricky player and, on the rare occasion, that I've seen Bolton, showed real quality.

I was surprised to see that he had been released and surprised he hasn't been snapped up. Must be an important point I'm missing ... lazy, erratic, difficult to work with?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Hopefully we have our sights better than most of them.
We may even be waiting for the Premier clubs to name their 25 man squads before we dive in.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Not that old chestnut again. Or lets not panic the loan window opens in two weeks.

So you wouldnt have Jesse Lindgard back for a season long loan then........Dobbie is available, lets buy him back:ffsparr:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know a lot will disagree but counting through that list there are potentially 40ish decent Championship signings in there (I can't be bothered to list them all though).

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Always thought Eagles was a very tricky player and, on the rare occasion, that I've seen Bolton, showed real quality.

I was surprised to see that he had been released and surprised he hasn't been snapped up. Must be an important point I'm missing ... lazy, erratic, difficult to work with?

Maybe he is considering a number of offers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know a lot will disagree but counting through that list there are potentially 40ish decent Championship signings in there (I can't be bothered to list them all though).
I didn't think 'decent championship' was the caliber of player the club was scouting.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've got to be honest, I don't know most of those players. Of the ones I do, I wouldn't have complained if we'd signed: Westwood or Gomes as our G.K, Le Fondre, Fryat or Vydra as a striker.

I also note that Bridge has been released...worth a look or was his season here a blip in a long decline? Or Bellamy, he can still offer a lot in the championship, I think.

There's probably a decent number of players that would improve our squad as it stands. The question is, are they better than the players we will eventually bring in?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Decent Championship players are better than no signings at all though after we've let so many players go.
Making me think there's a plan afoot, we just haven't reached the endgame yet.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Making me think there's a plan afoot, we just haven't reached the endgame yet.

That's what I'm hoping but the nearer we get to the season the more I am losing the faith. I also worry that even if we do bring in the signings we need, Hyypia now won't have the time to mould them into the kind of team he wants and we will end up having a very slow start to the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's what I'm hoping but the nearer we get to the season the more I am losing the faith. I also worry that even if we do bring in the signings we need, Hyypia now won't have the time to mould them into the kind of team he wants and we will end up having a very slow start to the season.
But that won't ruin or end the entire season.

My problem with this situation comes if the club were to use that as an excuse for a possible slow start.

It's either:-
'by bringing x, y, & z in on the 28th August we've saved hundreds of thousands of pounds'.
or
'We expected to be dominant from the start of the season, this is disappointing'.

You can't have both.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Decent Championship players are better than no signings at all though after we've let so many players go.

So you'd get decent players in now just to boost the squad rather than wait and get better players than just decent in which could make the difference between going up and staying down for yet another sesaon because you think it's more important to make any signings rather than the right signings?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
So you'd get decent players in now just to boost the squad rather than wait and get better players than just decent in which could make the difference between going up and staying down for yet another sesaon because you think it's more important to make any signings rather than the right signings?

Well obviously the latter is preferable providing the wait actually pays off and we do bring in quality players, which I'm dubious about at the moment.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Anyone care to work out how many players each of those teams have in their squad and roughly how many more they may need to sign?

Some may have been cutting the size of their squad so need fewer new players than they released and Forest must still need another dozen strikers as a minimum

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I also note that Bridge has been released...worth a look or was his season here a blip in a long decline? Or Bellamy, he can still offer a lot in the championship

Both have retired, Bridge through injury, Bellamy through age/ lack of motivation I think.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well obviously the latter is preferable providing the wait actually pays off and we do bring in quality players, which I'm dubious about at the moment.

But looking at whats been picked up so far by most Championship teams, there are very few of the latter type players there.

They (the out of contract players) are in no rush to sign on because they know the longer they make teams wait, the more they can demand in wages as clubs might become desperate to sign and especially if there are several clubs interested (you'd expect that if a good player) but it could also mean that they are desperate to secure a deal and take less in wages so its a gamble.

There will suddenly be even more players available as PL teams select their final 25 and this could mean that those out of contract still without a club could suddenly be left with no option but to accept lesser deals if they want to get games next season and the released / available to loan players left out of PL 25 man squads should be of higher quality that those who are available now so it's probably worth the gamble and the wait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here