Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough fans banned for life for ripping up Koran

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
As a lad from Catholic stock ,i have to say the afternoon i spent at The Airdrie Orange Lodge was a very interesting one .I must have thick skin .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tell me where it is being "rammed down our throats everyday" then ?

There is a definate trend to cow towing to the Islamic faith in this country and a level of intolerance not afforded to others imo.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
There is a definate trend to cow towing to the Islamic faith in this country and a level of intolerance not afforded to others imo.

Really, as for me - this is the first reference to anything to do with Islam i have seen/come across/read/heard today - that includes all religion too.

Sounds like your exaggerating things for your own agenda.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm assuming that this action was done with the large population of Muslims in Birmingham as its underlying thought.

Whether people think the action itself is offensive or not, the motive is the issue at hand. I care little for Islamic doctrine but would be quite shocked if I saw someone tearing up the Koran, or the Bible for that matter, at a football match. What on earth was their intention ?

In a mature society, disagreement is healthy, but blatant provocation and deliberate acts that are intended to cause hurt or offence are not. We have grown up.

Mindless public actions like this cannot happen without the expectation of some sort of consequence.

As regards the old chestnut of being a 'Christian country', it is a subjugating phrase that has hijacked the true gospel meaning of Christianity for political purposes. Christianity is a faith, like Islam, it is certainly not a set of laws or a cultural way of life. This term comes from the, ever loosening, alliance of the church and the state. Decent standards and values exist within all faiths, if that is what people are referring to. But all too often this phrase has an undercurrent of latent cultural racism, effectively meaning 'White, anglo-saxon country'. That is why, despite being a Christian myself (through faith, not cultural understanding) I despise the notion that we are a 'Christian country'. Faith, the state, and inherent cultural understandings should always be separate things-unlike commonly held values.

Last edited:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I'm assuming that this action was done with the large population of Muslims in Birmingham as its underlying thought.

Whether people think the action itself is offensive or not, the motive is the issue at hand. I care little for islamic doctrine but would be quite shocked if I saw someone tearing up the Koran, or the bible for that matter, at a football match. What on earth was their intention ?

In a mature society, disagreement is healthy, but blatant provocation and deliberate acts that are intended to cause hurt or offence are not. We have grown up.

Mindless public actions like this cannot happen without the expectation of some sort of consequence.

As regards the old chestnut of being a 'christian country', it is a subjugating phrase that has hijacked the true gospel meaning of Christianity for political purposes. Christianity is a faith, like Islam, it is certainly not a set of laws or a cultural way of life. This comes from the, ever loosening, alliance of the church and the state. Decent standards and values exist within all faiths, if that is what people are referring to. But all too often this phrase has an undercurrent of latent cultural racism, effectively meaning 'White, anglo-saxon country. That is why, despite being a Christian myself (through faith, not cultural understanding) I despise the notion that we are a 'Christian country'. Faith, the state, and inherent cultural understandings should always be separate things-unlike commonly held values.

Yes

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Better still, burn Poppies and chant anti-military slogans during a two-minute silence on Armistice Day November 11th, and collect a £50 fine only.....might as well burn the UJ as well, still get a smaller fine than the Midds supporters as proved.
Martyn20, you seem to have conveniently side stepped this point?

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Even if you were to bear in mind people's criticism of Islam, which is frequently inappropriately applied and erroneously generalised to a whole community, tearing up a Koran is an intolerant and ignorant way of doing it. I hate people destroying any book quite frankly but that is besides the point. If they wanted to voice critiques of the patriarchal system that fundamentalist Islam preserves and the potential dangers of Sharia law then join a lobbying group or a support group for women subject to forced marriages, genital mutilation or the like which could actually effect a change and thereby a successful protest. Destroying a book just makes them appear like BNP or UKIP morons reflecting little understanding of Islam and does appear very xenophobic.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Better still, burn Poppies and chant anti-military slogans during a two-minute silence on Armistice Day November 11th, and collect a £50 fine only.....might as well burn the UJ as well, still get a smaller fine than the Midds supporters as proved.
Spot on.

I am a practising Christian and agree with the posts highlighting one rule for one group, one rule for others. Funnily enough I noticed the point demonstrated by the Alan Partridge film recently when he overruled a line which would have poked fun at the Muslim religion and said they couldn't do it but they could adapt it to poke fun at Christian beliefs. It succinctly made the point with gentle irony. Our leaders just don't know how to deal with the Muslim 'problem' in this country and hope that by kowtowing to them, it will appease their more extreme elements. It won't work as the Muslim religion is in my opinion diametrically opposed to a secular state with moderate Christian heritage.

Personally, although I would be offended by anyone burning the bible, I would stand up for and agree with their right to do so. We are in my opinion, in a bad shape, with democratic rights being eroded at an alarming rate since 9/11. Orwell famously stated that all are equal but that some are more equal than others. This can be easily applied to the situation here.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Martyn20, you seem to have conveniently side stepped this point?

Whilst this is attempting to attack his point at the end of the day that is the fault of the legal system, whilst in my eyes the punishment of that case was not severe enough it does not mean that the Middlesborough fans' actions were any less of a crime or received an unjust punishment.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm trying to get my head around how anyone could support the actions of someone who takes a copy of the Qur'an, a book they clearly have no respect for, to a football match. Then sets about tearing out pages, passing then to fellow fans making clear which book they were from whilst chanting, "England".

The only possible motives for such actions is to either demonstrate their contempt for Islam or those who practice that religion.

Supporting such actions is akin to supporting the throwing of bananas - in itself an innocent action but with a clear motive behind it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here