Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor has a pop again......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A lot? A few comments here and there, I'll grant you but I disagree that there's lots. I think most Brighton fans' view is that Ulloa is good but not £10M worth....not that we're complaining.

I guess Naylor is trying to stir up interest and justify his position. Strong rumours abound that he's not exactly warmly welcomed at the Albion and it's clear he's no more in the know than a lot of us who have friends or family working there.

This of course is the correct answer. I've never really had an issue with Naylor until now, but his continuing bleating at Albion fan herd mentality is getting ridiculous. Why even bother to mention "blinkered critics" without framing it with the sample size he is referring to? If he's suggesting that there is anything other than a small minority of people suggesting "he never scored a goal or put in a shift for the Seagulls" then he is an idiot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A lot? A few comments here and there, I'll grant you but I disagree that there's lots. I think most Brighton fans' view is that Ulloa is good but not £10M worth....not that we're complaining.

I guess Naylor is trying to stir up interest and justify his position. Strong rumours abound that he's not exactly warmly welcomed at the Albion and it's clear he's no more in the know than a lot of us who have friends or family working there.

But what is £10m anymore? The figures are so skewed nowadays. If McCormack is worth £11m+ then I don't think £8-£10m for Leo is unreasonable at all.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Just in case he's checking NSC at the moment (which I'm sure he does regularly despite denying it)........

Dear Mr Naylor,

YOU ARE A KNOB!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I don't have too much of a problem with Naylor, a certain level of stirring is to be expected in his job. I do however share his irritation at the some of the nonsense spouted on here about Ulloa particularly with regard to his contribution last season. For a player who was not fit and lacking on pitch support he scored plenty of goals, not to mention the one that actually got us in the playoffs.

Given the bizarrely over-inflated market for strikers I do not think Ulloa has been too over-valued. I think he'll do well for Leicester, they do create an awful lot of chances which should suit him very well. If he bangs in around 15 goals for them next year then it will have been a decent deal for all parties.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"Some absolute rubbish has been written about Ulloa on social media in recent weeks.

Reading it you would have thought he never scored a goal or put in a shift for the Seagulls.

These blinkered critics must have suffered amnesia".

ref: Talking Point: No blame game needed for Ulloa move
10:32am Thursday 24th July 2014 in Sport By Andy Naylor

Andy Naylor is absolutely right in this.

I've been thinking the same with the over the top, and harsh criticism of Leo in some quarters recently.

He scored 23 goals in 50 games for us. I just hope we get a replacement who delivers as good a return.

Well done Andy.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Andy Naylor is absolutely right in this.

I've been thinking the same with the over the top, and harsh criticism of Leo in some quarters recently.

He scored 23 goals in 50 games for us. I just hope we get a replacement who delivers as good a return.

Well done Andy.

It must be me, but I can't recall seeing a huge amount of criticism!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I do wonder how much time Naylor spends reading NSC - and the fact that he takes stuff posted on here as representative of the views of all fans is worrying. By far the majority of supporters recognise Ulloa is a very decent player who did well for us. As on all forums, the outspoken and controversial opinions are the ones that get the most attention.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
It must be me, but I can't recall seeing a huge amount of criticism!

This is just what I was thinking. I thought the transfer was handled excellently in all quarters - Leo - never publicly spat the dummy to force a move like Bridders, Club - excellent price achieved, Fans - reasoned appreciation that it was too good a fee to turn down ultimately, and that Leo deserved the opportunity at his age in the Prem.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No issue with Naylor. Think he is being frozen out of any news for whatever reason.

Shame our local paper can't bring us any exclusives ever.

Then again , there is no news so we all create bollox on a forum , Naylor has to do it as a job. We are not so different !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The full article which is a weekly comment piece that Andy does on a Thursday and is one of only 20 or so pieces he pens a week is via
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11363149.Talking_Point__No_blame_game_needed_for_Ulloa_move/

As for the actual quote
Some absolute rubbish has been written about Ulloa on social media in recent weeks.
Reading it you would have thought he never scored a goal or put in a shift for the Seagulls.

He mentions social media so it could be NSC but just as well could be twitter comments, or comments on the Argus site itself where there's been plenty of Ulloa chat from Albion fans obviously.
But were there "some" negative comments about Leo in "recent weeks" on NSC. Well it didn't take me long to find these...Perhaps you can find more.

- How long will it take before we hear choruses of " what a waste of money " and " Akinbiyi was better than this " and " he makes Heskey look like a world beater " ringing around the KP Stadium.

- I like Leo he has done ok, but not quite quick enough

- His passing is not all that either and is a bit of a lump sometimes

- For a permanently lardy, permanently isolated big bloke up front, I'd take the £3 million on offer. He's really not all that. Really.

- He's not quick enough to be effective in the Prem

- Spends too long rubbing his shins and gurning

- Ulloa, struggles for pace against Championship central defenders from the likes of Blackpool. He seems to spend games losing almost all aerial balls played up despite his height and bulk, and wastes energy whinging to the officials who then appear to distrust his later claims. Based on this, PL defenders would surely find him easy to defend against him.

- he doesn't seem to like being a lone striker, always frustrated at not getting decisions, not enough pace

- He's done a decent job, but IMO not versatile enough, especially stuck up front on his own.

- Connor Wickham is a better player and doesn't throw himself to the ground like a girl every 5 minutes.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
No issue with Naylor. Think he is being frozen out of any news for whatever reason.

Shame our local paper can't bring us any exclusives ever.

I agree. I don't have any problem with Naylor, I think he has a tough job. He's operating in difficult environment in terms of exclusives, with access to social media any Tom, Dick or Harry can break a story. Plus the club probably see more value in keeping the exclusives for their own media channels (website/twitter/facebook etc). Gone are the days when The Argus was the main source for Albion news ...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I have said this before when he was banging on about supporters "moaning" about queues, trains etc etc but I think Andy Naylor simply appears to be totally unaware that fans of ALL clubs are exactly the same. Go on any fan site or viewpoint exchange of any kind and you will find extremes of opinion. Those with the polarised views are also the most likely to choose to air them in public. It's hardly a new thing that a player leaving a club goes from hero to zero is it?!

FWIW, Leo Ulloa was a fantastic signing for us and in an ideal world would be in the stripes this coming season. However, receiving the club's full valuation for him is the next best thing. I am sure there are significantly more BHA fans that would agree with this than the opinion Andy Naylor has suggested is prevalent.

Lastly, just a point he may not have considered.....I haven't seen a single supporter of any other club comment that Leicester have had a bargain. Indeed, many have suggested the opposite. Those he is berating are really only endorsing that opinion but in perhaps an embittered tone.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My problem with Naylor is that he is a massive after timer. He always tries to takes the moral high ground but only when it's safe to do so. Last season he was all braggy after we scored 3 away at Blackburn, extoling the entertaining display ignoring the gash which had been served up in the few previous games which had everyone moaning. I didn';t see him or anyone else predicting a 6 goal thriller for that game.

Similarly he has tweeting he thought we would be competitive for the start of the season. He's now changed his tune to the 1st September this morning. His twitter account is ripe for a parody.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I agree with his sentiments this time, but it does surprise me that Naylor is so vitriolic against his customers. Whilst he is entitled to his opinion, he always slates fans who he doesn't agree with and ultimately, this has led to many people no longer buying the Argus.

I'm just surprised that the Chief Editor of the Argus lets Naylor get away with being so rude to the customers it needs to stay afloat.

When he had a go at me on Twitter once for questioning him, he said that he wasn't always at work and his opinion were his own...He couldn't respond however when I told him then not to use [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]naylorargus as his Twitter account!

Naylorphobia is one of the more silly NSC allergies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here