Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five countries you detested visiting and would never return to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another thumbs up for Belgium here. Really not that boring at all. Brussels is very average though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think the people saying Belgium must've had their eye shut!

bruges-belgium.jpg

12042_cropped_840_530_90_505ac4293f0d5_lac-de-la-haute-sure.jpg

6134053134_bcf1fe7cb7_z.jpg

bohosteak.jpg

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I struggle to think of anywhere i'd really not go back to. I'd bypass certain bits perhaps, Indian airports are an object lesson in soul destroying bureaucracy.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't come up with five. I can't judge an entire country by a short break in a small part of it. My 'worst' experiences were in given cities - Madrid is fabulous, but I found the people a bit aloof; same with Paris. I think that's it, really.

To counter the OP, Belgium, especially Ghent and Brussels are great - even getting past the beer, chocolate, Belgian fries, mussels, there's the history, architecture, the people; what's not to like?

I had an absolute blast in Portugal in 2004 during the Euros. Stayed in the north for a couple of weeks (about 40 miles north of Porto), and the locals couldn't have been friendlier or more welcoming.

I've heard many great things about Djerba (an island off Tunisia).

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I think the people saying Belgium must've had their eye shut!

12042_cropped_840_530_90_505ac4293f0d5_lac-de-la-haute-sure.jpg

I echo your sentiments, but do feel compelled to point out that this picture is of the Upper Sûre Lake in Luxembourg, and is not in Belgium at all. The Belgian Ardennes is just as pretty though.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Cant say that about any country really....all have plus and minus...lived in Belgium for 18 months and loved it there, despite being told it was boring before I got there...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I struggle to think of anywhere i'd really not go back to. I'd bypass certain bits perhaps, Indian airports are an object lesson in soul destroying bureaucracy.

This. Loved India hated the airport. On one trip home from Chennai we had the batteries removed from every electronic device in our hand luggage. Ten yards round the corner after security was a bloke selling batteries. The same trip a mate of mine was sent all the way back to check in because he didn't have a stamp in the right place. I also got bacterial dysentery on one trip there. Yet I came out loving the place as a cultural experience and would go back tomorrow if offered.

There are BITS of all countries that are a disappointment. Loved Belgium like many others but the B&B in Oostende when we first arrived? Not so much. The Paris ring road and the western suburbs of both Dublin and Sydney also spring to mind yet they are three of my favourite cities.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Unless you happen to be a doctor.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
While, I've never detested visiting anywhere - Denmark is right up there in the dull stakes. I've pi**ed out of my a**e in India more times than you can shake a stick at and yet I still go back for more.....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another thumbs up for Belgium here. Really not that boring at all. Brussels is very average though.

Yes I've been to Belgium 3 times and enjoyed it every time, it's just got this false reputation for being boring. I actually quite like Brussels too, it's got a good mix of old and new, plus some great pubs.

I don't think there is a country I detest and would never return to. LA is certainly a city I wouldn't return to though, horrible place IMHO.

Stumpy Tim

This. Loved India hated the airport. On one trip home from Chennai we had the batteries removed from every electronic device in our hand luggage. Ten yards round the corner after security was a bloke selling batteries. The same trip a mate of mine was sent all the way back to check in because he didn't have a stamp in the right place. I also got bacterial dysentery on one trip there. Yet I came out loving the place as a cultural experience and would go back tomorrow if offered.

There are BITS of all countries that are a disappointment. Loved Belgium like many others but the B&B in Oostende when we first arrived? Not so much. The Paris ring road and the western suburbs of both Dublin and Sydney also spring to mind yet they are three of my favourite cities.

How many times have you been to India? My first trip there was really interesting as a lesson of true poverty and true inequality. After the tenth trip I dreaded going - the consistent smell of excrement & urine, people crapping in the streets, children under 5 sleeping alone on the streets, the deformed beggars, aggressive taxi drivers looking to rip you off... I could go on. It's an awful place

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Only two countries I've yet to have a good experience of are France and Canada (the French speaking bit; possibly coincidentally!)

However I've not seen enough to say I detest them - France was the usual touristic crap on a damp October evening followed by a night in some horrible suburb that looked like the set of La Haine but a bit cleaner. Canada was Montreal - made worse by staying in suburban Montreal, which resembles Croydon right down to the burn marks. Dorval Airport itself is a horrible place where there was only one person I dealt with who actually understood customer service - the checkin terminal did a better job than the rest of them!

I've driven through northern France a fair few times from the tunnel entrance but I only stopped once in that entire time, to get fuel on a mad rush back.

the western suburbs of both Dublin

:(

(although I do mostly live there cause its cheap...)

Last edited:

aberdare seagull

Feb 28, 2014
south wales
I can't detest any place i have visited. Been held up at knife point in Istanbul strip club. Bundled into a police van in Georgia for police to demand a ransom from the ship. Asked a brazilian taxi driver to take us to a decent bar only for us to be dropped off in a favela but what a cracking night. Many othwr stupid incidents like these. But thats what makes travelling fun

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How many times have you been to India? My first trip there was really interesting as a lesson of true poverty and true inequality. After the tenth trip I dreaded going - the consistent smell of excrement & urine, people crapping in the streets, children under 5 sleeping alone on the streets, the deformed beggars, aggressive taxi drivers looking to rip you off... I could go on. It's an awful place

To Chennai twice but both long trips, the first four weeks and the second three months. Also spent time travelling round Tamil Nadu and Bangalore at weekends. I became desensitised to a lot of it on the second trip and for me the smell of poo and urine isn't the only one. It smells of spice and sandalwood and incense and heat too. It assaults the senses in every possible way and you probably either like it or loath it. I'd rather go to India than a lot of places in Northern or Eastern Europe. The missus detests the place however.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here