Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five countries you detested visiting and would never return to.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Turkey
Angola

That's it, all the rest I have no objection to a return visit, out of about 40.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Favourite place I've been yet in the world. Aarhus - the city I stayed in - was absolutely overflowing with culture.

What tickled your fancy in particular? I'm hoping to visit Denmark shortly.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I have been to Egypt 3 times now. The 1st time was great, the 2nd time was ok and the 3rd time was in May just gone and it was CRAP!!!! don't plan on going again anymore either!!! Anyone recommend where next? me, the wife and 2 kids aged 6 and 9???? (have done Disney Florida, and very expensive!)
Head up the New England coast North of New York and Boston...... you will be amazed at the weather, the beaches and the holiday infrastructure and resorts..... superb.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dubai isn't a country.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Lancashire.

Edit: Oh, sorry, thought you said counties...

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
A strange and somewhat blinkered post IMHO this, I've been to many countries and whilst some were better than others I can't say I detested any, each had their plusses and every one was an experience many people would be jealous of. Each to their own I guess.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can tell I would absolutely hate Dubai.

I'd go along with that. I research new places so have never really had a bad experience. There are few places that hold little interest but Dubai is one of them as is Egypt, inc Sharm!

Edit: OK Dubai isn't a country but difficult to imagine the rest of UAE gets any better

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'd go along with that. I research new places so have never really had a bad experience. There are few places that hold little interest but Dubai is one of them as is Egypt, inc Sharm!

I wouldn't recommend Dubai to anyone, especially if you are paying - I went on a business trip and found it quite soulless but I won't go as far as detesting it as it was equally fascinating to see loads of massive state of the art office blocks just sitting there empty. Also, I'll likely have to go back there some time too. The hotel I stayed in was very nice though......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't think of one country I've visited that I feel strongly enough about that I'd never return, never mind five.

I found that Malta had fewer redeeming qualities than most. Dull and dusty.
That sounds a bit like Gibraltar. Not a great place in truth, but even then I've been back a few times.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That sounds a bit like Gibraltar. Not a great place in truth, but even then I've been back a few times.

Went there on a cruise ... reminiscent of a throwback English seaside town I thought. Not sure about the tax free bargains but bought a nice vase from the M&S

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Would never detest a country , they all have their own beliefs and traditions , glad I went to as many as I could . If I was not too bothered about a country I wouldn't go back simple but glad I went in the first place to enjoy their culture and find out what the country is like .

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
There's nowhere I've been that I detested.

I am however unlikely to return to the DDR, the Soviet Union, or Czechoslovakia.

A lot of people on this thread clearly don't know Belgium very well. Lovely place, great food, great beer, and - you'll be pleased to know - a healthy 'don't give a damn what others think of them' attitude.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I like Belgium, it's like a cross between France and Germany but with better people. Also liked Tunisia, some really good historic sites to visit and Morocco is just the fascinating, it's the closest country to the uk where you feel you're really in a much different culture, plus of course it's where the best mole comes from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here