Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barbers Response (New Shirt)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Just for the record I e mailed the club shop with regards to the club shirt, Paul Barber had the decency to send me an e-mail response following my comments and questions.

Just thought I would share his reply as he states some interesting points that I wasn't aware of and subsequently shared.

Maybe in hindsight I shouldn't have shared this information... Apologies.

Please please please can we see what you sent him?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
1. The problem is not with the heat press, it's with that big white box which just looks ridiculous.
2. Could Nike not have designed a shirt where there were no stripes in the middle so individual letters could be ironed on?
3. This poll suggests that a significant proportion (albeit from a small sample) are not happy with the new shirt: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?305397-The-Stick-on-Sponsor-on-the-New-Kit

Just because we've done better than previous years in terms of shirt sales (as you would expect), does not mean we cannot do better.

I was never going to get the shirt anyway, but I would have liked the club to have done better as it would have been good for business.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just for the record I e mailed the club shop with regards to the club shirt, Paul Barber had the decency to send me an e-mail response following my comments and questions.

Just thought I would share his reply as he states some interesting points that I wasn't aware of and subsequently shared.

Maybe in hindsight I shouldn't have shared this information... Apologies.

No, you should, but now you need to show what you sent him

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
The content of my e-mail will remain private, I genuinely just wanted to share some of the points Paul raised as I wasn't aware of some of these points myself.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry that you do not like the new shirt.

Nike apply a heat pressed sponsor logo to ALL of its shirts, including those designed for Manchester United, Manchester City, Juventus, and Barcelona. Nike do not produce a sublimated printing option (and indeed last year’s shirt which was produced using this process also received complaints because the stripes were broken – in this business of football shirt design, clubs and manufacturers will never win!).

The sponsor logo must meet American Express’ owns brand guidelines – and our shirt design means that American Express’ logo must sit within a white box as the lettering itself can only be applied to a plain background. The size of the white box is determined by The Football League and, as is the case with all shirt sponsors, American Express require the maximum space to be used. I can assure you that American Express are not ashamed of something that meets their own guidelines.

Finally, with orders for the new shirt already 400% up on the previous best ever selling Albion shirt, I don’t think the club or Nike should be ashamed of anything! Shirt design will always be entirely subjective and different views, including yours, will be expressed and are of course valid and welcome, the vast majority of supporters do not share your particular opinion

What a sad muppet you are wasting PB's time with shite like this, get a life fella!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry that you do not like the new shirt.

Nike apply a heat pressed sponsor logo to ALL of its shirts, including those designed for Manchester United, Manchester City, Juventus, and Barcelona. Nike do not produce a sublimated printing option (and indeed last year’s shirt which was produced using this process also received complaints because the stripes were broken – in this business of football shirt design, clubs and manufacturers will never win!).

The sponsor logo must meet American Express’ owns brand guidelines – and our shirt design means that American Express’ logo must sit within a white box as the lettering itself can only be applied to a plain background. The size of the white box is determined by The Football League and, as is the case with all shirt sponsors, American Express require the maximum space to be used. I can assure you that American Express are not ashamed of something that meets their own guidelines.

Finally, with orders for the new shirt already 400% up on the previous best ever selling Albion shirt, I don’t think the club or Nike should be ashamed of anything! Shirt design will always be entirely subjective and different views, including yours, will be expressed and are of course valid and welcome, the vast majority of supporters do not share your particular opinion
Bitch slapped by Barber.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To be fair if he has to deal with this sort of thing all day every day AND run our club so well he deserves more than 450k p.a.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't like the shirt. It is not bespoke (not really come on) and just smacks of Nike and the club trying to make as much money as possible. This is fine if they want to do that, but I wont buy it. I don't really think Barber needs me to email him to tell him this. If enough people don't buy it they will change their approach, if it smashes sales records and makes huge profits they wont and I wont have a shirt. Simple really.

I like "the club trying to make as much money as possible" like that's supposed to be a BAD THING?! :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
True, fair point. But I can't believe the amount of emails I got from the CEO and his marketing arm flogging the new shirt and hyping it up to be an "event" of some kind. All very silly.

It was an event. It massively broke all previous sales records , like it or not.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Nothing to do with buying it, but a plain back and iron on sponsor looks terrible. Another reason not to go to home games next season.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
FFS its a football shirt - you buy one to support the club - if you like the design its a bonus. There will be another shirt along in a minute if you don't like this one.

The club will come up with as many shirts as they can so fans buy them and the club survive.

Some people think the club will survive without money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here