Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tax credit , is wonderfull .

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Sometimes I worry about you Mustafa; you speak far too much sense on here :thumbsup:

More worrying is his avatar. I love Turkey as a country. Been 8 times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The trouble i have with these sort of articles is they don't give me an idea of how representative this is. This i obviously an extreme case. What is more relevant to me is how much we are paying out to Romanian immigrants in total and how that compares to the the taxes they contribute. All these stories do is outrage those don't want to think too much about the issues.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
A model society would be one where wealth is shared fairly. Rewarding those who work the hardest, but allowing all people to live comfortable lives.

Quite. Rewarding those who work the hardest. Not those with most children.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
A model society would be one where wealth is shared fairly. Rewarding those who work the hardest, but allowing all people to live comfortable lives.

....and those who don't work? As opposed to those who can't of course.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Dont read any of this stuff anymore, just keep my head down and get on with my work like a good boy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
All people should live comfortably and parenting is the most important job in society bar none. I would not say raising a family of 16 on £55k is easy, or even comfortable.

bringing 15 children into the world is stupid,unnecessary and slightly selfish though.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
...there will be increasing obsolescence of jobs as they are replaced by computers, robots and machines. We are already seeing the repercussions of this in the form of lower wages, zero hour and temporary contracts. We need to prepare for a world where not everyone has to work...

Or can work. Because there are no jobs.

The agricultural sector shrank in the 19th c. and industry picked up the displaced workers. When industry shrank, in the second half of the 20th century, the tertiary sector picked up the displaced workers. What picks up the displaced workers when the tertiary sector shrinks? Providing personal services to multimillionaires? There aren't enough of them.

I have no doubt that the response will be a national scheme of oakum-picking.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The trouble i have with these sort of articles is they don't give me an idea of how representative this is. This i obviously an extreme case. What is more relevant to me is how much we are paying out to Romanian immigrants in total and how that compares to the the taxes they contribute. All these stories do is outrage those don't want to think too much about the issues.

If you bundle the number of Romanians who arrived as illegals and consequently claimed asylum as Roma gypsies over the last two decades and those now entitled to come here as EU nationals the figures can be skewed to suit the current viewpoint of those in charge at Westminster.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
All people should live comfortably and parenting is the most important job in society bar none. I would not say raising a family of 16 on £55k is easy, or even comfortable.

Don't resent other comparably poor people. Resent the wealthy ruling classes who rip you off, corrupt our politics and are apparently convincing you that it's other poor people that are to blame.

As technological advancements make industries ultra-efficient (as a result making the shareholders considerably richer while employing significantly less people), there will be increasing obsolescence of jobs as they are replaced by computers, robots and machines. We are already seeing the repercussions of this in the form of lower wages, zero hour and temporary contracts. We need to prepare for a world where not everyone has to work, or at the very least increase wages and reduce the 40 hour working week. Either way, don't begrudge job seekers, the disabled, single parents and everyone else the pittance that they are getting - it's only a tiny amount of money in comparison to what you are losing from corporate tax loopholes, offshore tax avoidance, etc. Besides, it's important to remember that the richest people in society, the 1% of people who own 40% of the worlds wealth, don't work either.

I don't resent the wealthy ruling classes (like TB), they provide my job and wages.

It was forecast in the 70's that we were heading for shorter working hours and more leisure time (and a paperless society) as technology took over. Doesn't seem to have happened in my neck of the woods. More people working now than ever before in this country and longer hours to boot.

I do however admire idealism, you just gotta luv it.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It was forecast in the 70's that we were heading for shorter working hours and more leisure time (and a paperless society) as technology took over. Doesn't seem to have happened in my neck of the woods. More people working now than ever before in this country and longer hours to boot.

Gains in productivity were not converted into improvements in the lives of workers, be it hours, wages, or anything much else.
Except telephones far cooler than anything we could have imagined.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Gains in productivity were not converted into improvements in the lives of workers, be it hours, wages, or anything much else.

I think the standard of living now is far greater than it was then, so in this instance must disagree.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Sorry but that's absolute piffle. Compared to 40 years ago average real earnings in the UK are over 50% more

http://www.measuringworth.com/ukearncpi/

The workplace is also far safer, we have longer holidays, maternity and paternity rights are stronger. Equality of pay and women's rights at work are much, much better. The idea of flexible working was unheard of in the 70s. There is also a minimum wage. I'm not saying it's all a bed of roses but the picture you paint just isn't true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here