Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New shirt has arrived

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Just for reference here's how it would have looked if it wasn't ironed on...

BtOFUskCEAACh_0.jpg

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Mr Barber's email and my responses to it. Only posted on here though, not actually sent to him - I've no idea what his email address is.

- Nike uses plastic iron on-style logos on all its shirts - including Barcelona, Juventus and Man U; the sublimation printing option (as per Errea's last kit) isn't available to any club from Nike. Maybe so but they don't look half as bad as this one. If I have been paying attention, the iron-on logos on the actual playing shirts now end where the blue stripes end, i.e. the iron-on logo is not ironed-on over the white stripes and so the mis-match in shades is less noticeable. Why has this not been done with those being sold to us?

- our sponsor logo is "white blocked" to meet Amex corporate ID guidelines - it's not "Sunday league" - it's conforming to the corporate ID rules of one of the world's most protected brands! Maybe so, but I've seen more professional-looking shirts from Sunday league teams

- if we could done it a different way we would have - striped shirts are always a challenge for application of sponsor logos (or numbers) and this is further complicated by a sponsor logo that's blue! I wasn't present for these discussions but if they're true, a conversation along the lines of "Let's make the iron-on patch the same shade of white, and exactly the right width to not overlap the vertical stripes" might have made a world of difference to customer satisfaction

- the size of the white block is determined by Football League regulations and, like most sponsors, Amex require maximum permitted size for their logo; there has to be a minimum amount of white space around the Amex lettering Message received and understood... so why are the players shirts in possession of a smaller iron-on box, as suggested by most of the photos and streams from pre-season games so far?

- last year's shirt also had a "white block" around the Amex logo - it meant that the stripes were broken in a different way as it was printed in to the shirt design (many fans hated this!) Why yes, yes it was, but it was designed so that the white block was integral to the shirt and even accepting the limitations of what Nike produce, the iron-on logo this year is poorly presented.

- we can't have a blue or white Nike logo because one half of wouldn't show up against our stripes! So it had to be black (or another contrasting colour) But a colour that was absolutely identical to one of those stripes would have been a vast improvement

- we went for plain back to address the lettering / numbering issue of last year - and also to give the shirt a unique look: no other club in the world has this shirt! Why does this response make me smile?! I'm sure no other club in the world would attempt to replicate it either...

- red numbers were not available to us and in any case would not have shown up on a blue-backed shirt! I accept this.

- by contrast, using templates for away and third kit has enabled us to keep prove of shirt down and below most fan's expectations (we buy in the quantities we need and waste/costs are minimised; it's efficient and it's sensible for fans and club alike in this climate) Fair enough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good thread, has saved me spending £90 on awful, and yes tinpot, shirts for me and junior. Very, very disappointing - ironically we got Nike kits for his U16 team, including a sponsors logo, and they're really good.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
View attachment 56511

If you look at the new Nike Juventus kit, they too have a plastic Iron on sponsor, so its not just us.

Surely, if enough people do not buy this for two years the club will hear u and change things. they rely on us buying these things so just need to not spend the money.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I won't be getting one as I rarely do, but like others have said, the amex logo looks just terrible, like an afterthought. What a terrible job by Nike.
If those that always buy the shirt feel the same, I can't see the club making any more money than they did with the errea shirts. People will be put off by the extra cost for lower quality, surely?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Club said:
- last year's shirt also had a "white block" around the Amex logo - it meant that the stripes were broken in a different way as it was printed in to the shirt design (many fans hated this!)
The "effect" would be the same, so why not have the white block (as per the Errea shirts) and iron on the letters (as per the goalkeepers kit).

Whether it's actually "bespoke" or not is neither here nor there, it's the end result that matters to the customers (I mean fans...) and the end result looks rather crap. Last years kit looks far more professional/upmarket.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I reckon I'll just buy the Goalkeeping shirt, and take the sleeves up to make it a short sleeved shirt.

I can't face that sponsor logo, it looks so bad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
View attachment 56511

If you look at the new Nike Juventus kit, they too have a plastic Iron on sponsor, so its not just us.

Surely, if enough people do not buy this for two years the club will hear u and change things. they rely on us buying these things so just need to not spend the money.

Indeed. Any Nike striped shirt, no matter how big the club, will have the same.

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 13.39.43.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I bought an Albion hoodie with an an iron-on Brighton and Hove Jobs sticker on it, and after a few weeks this started peeling off. The garment began to look tacky, so I attempted to pull the whole thing off which only succeeded in bits of it still behind, surrounded by industrial glue. An attempt to get rid of that led to me putting a hole in it which I then had to cover with a patch. Disaster!

I will not be buying any garment that has any sort of plastic transfer that looks tacky / will peel off, and when you're paying big money for a shirt you don't want to feel like you're taking a risk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here