Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Pipkin112 (Phil Gray)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Phil was clearly a greatly loved, respected and valued friend to so many, I did not know him personally although I still feel for him, his family and friends, my sincere condolences and I too will raise a glass to what seems like a great man. RIP

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He does look familiar to me, again RIP buddy

Likewise , over the years at away games you tend to recognise the faces of the regulars sometimes getting to know their names or are on nodding terms with them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Awful news. RIP one of our own :(

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
?

I doff my Albion green and black hat in respect. God bless fella.

Last edited:

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
This is Sarah, Phil's wife. Thank you all so much for the kind words, they really are a comfort in such a horrid time.

Apart from watching the Albion home and away, Phil's other big love in life was Carp fishing. He went to France most years with friends to spend a week at the lake fishing. He spent weeks meticulously planning every last detail, buying up lots of new tackle which he convinced me was of course absolutely necessary. On Friday we drove down to Portsmouth, spent some time wandering around Gun Wharf Quays where I spent time convincing him that I needed the new clothes. For once he never said 'do you really need that? We then went and had some dinner before I dropped off at the meeting point for the minibus to pick him and his friend up to head over. There were also another four guys on the trip which Phil and his friend didn't know.

I spoke to him on the Saturday and Sunday and whilst he hadn't caught but others had, he was certain the big 'one' was coming his way soon. I went to work on the Monday when I received that awful call from his friend. Phil had been absolutely fine and his friend has since told me that he they were sitting around laughing, having banter, drinking some tea when the alarm for his rod went. As Phil struck the rod, he simply fell to the ground. They knew it was serious and started CPR until the paramedics arrived, the paramedics continued to work but sadly he couldn't be saved.

I am 39, so we always kind of new Phil would leave this life before me, but I really never ever thought I would be a widow at this age. He had only just turned 52 and we had only days earlier celebrated our 14 year wedding anniversary, again I always thought we had plenty more happy years to come.

Whilst I absolutely devastated and heart broken, I take comfort in that it was over so quick for him and that it was while he was doing something he loved. After the chaos died down his friend reeled the fish in and out of respect simply let it go without weighing it, but on looking at its size it is thought to have been a high 30lb.

Phil always loved reading NSC, he always said he had 3 rules, never post about politics, religion or the team performance - it only descends into chaos. He loved the good humoured banter and I think his favourite ever thread was 'can you put a dead dog in the recycling bin'. It's hard for me to know who you are all due to the avatar names, but I am still touched but the such lovely words you have all written. Along with mine and Phil's family, I am amazed at just how wonderful friends have been including the original poster on this thread. Phil and I used to always meet him and another one of the posters above, they have both told me that I am not allowed to stop going to football and that they will drag me along with them, so maybe someday I will have the opportunity to thank you all in person.

An autopsy is taking place tomorrow and then the process can begin to bring Phil home. I cannot express just how wonderful Jane James and Ian Hart are being in taking all the stress and worry away from me and helping me to bring Phil home. Once he is home I can then take the next steps to arrange a celebration of his life. I will post the details here and on his Facebook as anyone who wishes to attend would be more than welcome. But as yet I cannot think of those arrangements.

Again, I am so deeply touched that people do genuinely care and the words people have written are a real comfort. If Phil could read his thread, then in his own words, he would be 'chuffed to bits' that this thread has so many comments.

Thank you all x

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Hi Sarah
I truely hope, in the fullness of time, you will continue to visit and post here.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Alasdair.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What a lovely post Sarah. As you say he passed away very quickly and painless doing something he loved.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sarah, stay strong - easy for me to say in such difficult times.
Like you say, a widow at 39 is just wrong.
Slightly corny phrase but I hope you can feel the love on here.
RIP Phil

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the flowers, cards and messages of support and kind words, they really are a comfort in such a horrid time.

Phil is currently in the process of being bought home, hopefully this will be on Wednesday.

A date and time has been set for the funeral and celebration of his life, Friday 8th August at 1pm, Worthing Crematorium. Anybody who wishes to attend will be more than welcome. If you aren't able to make it, please do not worry - I completely understand.

At this moment in time, the details have not been planned, our first priority is still with bringing him home, but I do know that Phil did not wish for flowers, only from his immediate family. I will be thinking about a suitable charity and will update with details so if you wish to donate in his memory you will be able to do so. I will also be looking into some venues so we can all go a have a drink and say cheers one last time, again I will update once I have it planned. If you don't wish to go to the service, but would like to join us for a drink, again I understand and would be more than happy for you to do just that.

As many of you would know, Phil was happiest in his shorts, T-Shirts and flip-flops, therefore please do not feel you have to dress smartly. For those whose lives he touched through the Albion, if you wish to wear your football shirts as a mark of respect please do so. All Phil would want is for you to feel comfortable.

Thank you all again, words cannot express just how grateful I am to you all.
xx

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
My beloved 'Pips' Phil Gray has arrived home today and I feel at peace knowing he is home and that his final chapter can begin.

I have arranged to hold the wake/celebration of his life at the New Sussex Hotel (formally the Three Horseshoes) in Lancing after the service on Friday 8th August. As I have stated before, the ceremony at 1pm, will be open to anyone wishing to attend, if you are not able to attend then you will be welcome to join us after (from about 2.30pm), again I do understand if you cant. Please be aware that the Pub do have a live band in the evening, something which I have asked them not to cancel as I think Phil would enjoy it.

As I posted before, flowers will only be from the immediate family and also Ray, his friend who was with him and Colin, the manager at the lake in France who both did all they could to try and save Phil. Both Ray and Colin have been astounding in all their help and support to both Phil and I and I feel that they are part of this awful chapter and therefore their wishes should also be respected.

For everyone else, I would ask that if you wish, I have chosen Fishability (www.fishabilityuk.org) for donations. This is a charity that helps British serving personnel suffering with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from their work serving the UK. They teach the adults to fish and use the time to unwind and relax, something which I think Phil would appreciate.

Ian Hart Funeral Services, Worthing, is currently in the process of creating a 'in memory' of page and once I have these details I will post again so you can either donate online or send a cheque made payable to 'Fishability' directly to Ian Hart.

Finally, thank you all again for your continuing kind messages of support.

xx

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Hi Sarah,

My thoughts will be with you that day. I'll be thinking about you.
Can I ask, have they discovered what the cause was?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Although his face looks familiar, I'm pretty sure I never knew Phil - I recognise the avatar as a regular poster on NSC though. 52 is certainly no age for someone to be taken from us and, being only a couple of years off that age myself and knowing someone who has just had a heart attack at 52, this really brings home the fact that this life of ours should be lived to the full. You just never know when your time is up.

Sarah, I was touched by your posts earlier, especially the comfort you have drawn from the many lovely messages in this thread. This shows NSC at its best, a football family that looks after and cares about its own.

Hopefully these messages along with the fact that Phil died doing something he loved, will bring you comfort and help you through the days and weeks ahead. I hope the celebration on Friday helps you move on knowing how many people Phil's life touched.

I'll stop now as I am rambling!

RIP Phil

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here