Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club lose Bennett's Field

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Wonder if Bennett knew the Uni have extended one of the car parks last year & there were many hundreds of spaces for extra Annual tickets to be sold?

Conversely, if now the huge Amex is next door he may have the nod that he can build on it himself vastly increasing its value as a plot

Is a very valid possibility as I eluded to earlier. No doubt Bennett is taking professional advice and not just playing the village idiot as some appear to think!

An awful lot depends on whether he has preserved access rights, and if so, then its down to planning. Might have himself a little goldmine, with preserved access off of Village Way via the Amex entrance.

If he had no independent access rights/other option, why would TB/PB offer any more knowing he has no other viable option on the field?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Endless stream of attacks on the driver are getting a bit tiresome. Coldean, Moulscoomb, Bennetts field now,.... jesus, it wont be long before Lewes bans all street parking for match days too....

Attacks on drivers ?

Coldean and Moulscoomb were for the benefit of the residents who were constantly being unable to park outside their houses on matchdays and having cars park on the grass outside their houses - the matchday residents permit had to be introduced otherwise the Amex expansion wouldnt have been able to go ahead either.

Bennetts field is due to the owner trying, and failing, to force the hand of the club. Alternative spaces are being provided at the Uni - with no loss to drivers. Also, widespread P&R is available too for car drivers.

So tell me, what exactly are these "attacks" ? At least the club are providing parking and P&R facilities, which in my book is actually assisting those who drive.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not harsh at all. Just saying how it is. People who are 1901 think their shit don't smell and think they should be treated better than the rest.

Wow. You seem nice. You really do have a chip on your shoulder. Perhaps you should have worked harder in your life so you could afford 1901.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Regards the possibiity of Bennett looking to cash in on the land - there is some kind of covenant on it isn't there, dictating that it cannot ever be built on?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've met Matt and he's been around my house. Just saying what I think.

Thanks for that Big Belly.

I assume you also remember that I was the one that when others on here were concerned for your welfare, I phoned and texted you and generally tried to help you out. I seem to recall you being very grateful at the time and haevn't spoken to you since.

But thanks for the nice comment. I don't own a violin, come from a working class background, and have supported the Albion since the 1970's but if you want to label me as a posh snob just because I chose to treat myself to good seats in the stadium then please proceed to abuse me.

The first one has got you a month's ban. I will leave it to my fellow mods to decide if this was too harsh or not harsh enough.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Managed properly this could work but the club need to sit down and have a good think about how they will manage the university spaces. Aside from the disabled service to the stadium there is another car park for less able bodied fans which would make sense to merge with the 1901 solution and get bused to the ground.

The other issue (which is getting worse) is the stamner park exit where uni traffic meets the bridge car park traffic. The exits need to be managed as people are parking across the junctions blocking the flow of traffic.

People pay a premium for both the 1901 and the university and it should be managed effectively. After all it is hardly rocket science

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Regards the possibiity of Bennett looking to cash in on the land - there is some kind of covenant on it isn't there, dictating that it cannot ever be built on?

That of course changes things, depending who the covenant is in favour of and if they can be bought off. Otherwise, his own car park possibility aside, he would seem to have the weakest poker hand TB has ever faced, and could then reasonably be described as having the lowest IQ in the village.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Isent the Bridge site due for development at some stage? Or am I wrong.....then we have the problem with Mithras House which will be lost to developers

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
The exits need to be managed as people are parking across the junctions blocking the flow of traffic.

People pay a premium for both the 1901 and the university and it should be managed effectively. After all it is hardly rocket science

Don't hold your breath. Last year I suggested to the transport manager that it would be good idea if the stewards managed the pedestrian / traffic flow over the zebra crossing in the uni at the end of a game. You know, steward holds back cars to let people cross then holds back people to let cars across. Apparently the stewards are "not qualified" to do this and they have been explicitly instructed not to do this. He also "helpfully" included a cut and paste from the Highway Code about how to approach a zebra crossing when driving. Patronising..... So the idea that they could so anything with the exits, even moving on cars parked on double yellows to pick up people, is I suspect bit beyond them.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They haven't been selling uni parking at all as far as I'm concerned. I've been trying to renew the uni parking for at least a month. How is it that you've already paid?

I renewed on 13 May - perhaps the date they stopped selling them was after that?

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Don't hold breath. Last year I suggested to the transport manager that it would be good idea if the stewards managed to pedestrian / traffic flow over the zebra crossing in the uni at the end of a game. You know, steward holds back cars to let people cross then holds back people to let cars across. Apparently the stewards are "not qualified" to do this and they have been explicitly instructed not to do this. He also "helpfully" included a cut and paste from the Highway Code about how to approach a zebra crossing when driving. Patronising..... So the idea that they could so anything with the exits, even moving on cars parked on double yellows to pick up people, is I suspect bit beyond them.

Are you saying there actually IS a transport manger?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Even if Bennett and the Club come to an agreement I can't see them getting planning permission for continued use of the 'Field' for car parking by the start of the season.

I was under the impression that this had already been approved, but I may be wrong.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
They haven't been selling uni parking at all as far as I'm concerned. I've been trying to renew the uni parking for at least a month. How is it that you've already paid?

I made the switch from the Uni Car Park to the Bridge one on the same day I changed seats simply because I was totally fed up with the idiot 'stewards' at the Uni who couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery. Quite happy with that decision in light of what's going to be car park wars over the next couple of weeks, especially when a lot of people find they can no longer park there (if Bennett's Field does get closed).

Isn't that Bennett's Field owned by a church? Sorry if this has already been mentioned-I haven't read the whole thread yet.

Might be worth taking some lawn chairs and Pringles to the first few matches because the Uni car park already brings out the worst in people, this will guarantee some entertaining hot headed behaviour.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not harsh at all. Just saying how it is. People who are 1901 think their shit don't smell and think they should be treated better than the rest.

Perhaps you should meet more people from the 1901 as the ones I know are very pleasant.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Attacks on drivers ?

Coldean and Moulscoomb were for the benefit of the residents who were constantly being unable to park outside their houses on matchdays and having cars park on the grass outside their houses -.
I know what has occurred, I was there you know. Parking issues in Coldean and Moulscoomb was simply a few idiots who couldn't be bothered to park properly for a couple of hours 2 or 3 times a month.... if they just enforced a few guidelines, ie traffic effin wardens doing their job for half a dozen games, towing and ticketing as appropriate, it would have been nipped in the bud,.... but no, a typical sledgehammer approach and bang, we lose more social freedoms.

Uni spaces are being squeezed now of course, with 1901's being relocated.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
What on earth is going to happen when Mithra/Cockcroft gets built on?

All went very quiet on the hunt for an extra P&R site. Shambles.

The good news is there isn't much of an overreaction on here to this news, although we'll see what the score is come August 9th...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Managed properly this could work but the club need to sit down and have a good think about how they will manage the university spaces. Aside from the disabled service to the stadium there is another car park for less able bodied fans which would make sense to merge with the 1901 solution and get bused to the ground.

The other issue (which is getting worse) is the stamner park exit where uni traffic meets the bridge car park traffic. The exits need to be managed as people are parking across the junctions blocking the flow of traffic.

People pay a premium for The Bridge too...

Unfortunately the club has been quite happy to cash in on premium parking whilst ignoring all of the problems that were/are a weekly occurance. It took three whole seasons before they listened to users about keeping one lane clear on the footbridge to allow car park users access to thecUni whilst at the same time helping prevent the melees that took place after every game. Sometimes it looks like the 'jobs for mates' culture we thought had gone is still there-how else can you explain the rudely incompetent 'transport manager' still employed by the club?

A lot of car park users are from outside the local area, indeed many are from way outside Sussex so the P and R option for them is a bit of a pain-sometimes adding an hour to their journey home, especially midweek. The club needs to get this right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here