Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club lose Bennett's Field

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Too posh top walk. I thought 1901 was meant to be full of NORMAL FANS?

Most are normal, whatever normal is, at least in my lounge. Maybe there is a greater proportion of older folk (more disposabale income in 1901 than the other stands)? Maybe it's targeted at the folk in the Platinum lounges where there are more truly corporate fans, who maybe really don't want to walk??

Whatever - I agree, it is a bit odd...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is that 4 or 5 times as much? I can never get my head around this.

'400% of the value' is four times as much. A '400% increase' would be five times as much. That said, you should check with an accountant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nope.

"Parking for 1901 Club Platinum and Gold members will now be at Sussex University, there will be a shuttle bus service in operation from the University car parks to the coach park at the stadium to assist members"

Isn't that Lord B's shuttle service for the disabled?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I imagine the club will [have to] turn it back into a field first so it will cost him a bit to turn it back into a car park.

Would Mr Bennett actually be able to access it after that? Don't the club effectively own everything around it?

I don't know the ins and outs (ha ha) but would imagine he protected perpetual access rights when the lease deal was done, particularly as it's turned out to be a relatively short lease. And he must have had access to his field prior and would have been incredibly stupid to have given that right up.

Just hope he doesn't decide to turn it into a huge pigsty with its distinctive aroma wafting through the stadium! I guess more likely, assuming he has maintained access rights, is that he will try to get commercial development on there as well, alongside TB's hotel etc.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So its a Mexican stand-off ransom situation!

It might improve traffic flow for buses but it is loss of income for the club, and more people on P+R, bus and train together with more informal drop-off. Not good.

I suspect a deal will be done.

PG

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Possibly but buses to and from the Uni plus the increased traffic through the Uni affecting the 25 and whatever other buses go through it will change things. Better? Worse? Half full? Half empty?

Haven't they turfed all the Uni ticket holders out to make way for the 1901 lot?

I gave up my Uni parking for this season but I can't see how they can get any more in ... if they have managed to get another whatever hundred places from the Uni it will be total chaos over there

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Most are normal, whatever normal is, at least in my lounge. Maybe there is a greater proportion of older folk (more disposabale income in 1901 than the other stands)? Maybe it's targeted at the folk in the Platinum lounges where there are more truly corporate fans, who maybe really don't want to walk??

Part of the reason I got 1901 was for my elderly dad. He would not be able to walk the distance from the Uni car park, so if he still comes next season he will have to use the bus, whilst the rest of us walk.

It's an odd one though because they made a big deal of how they were going to change the layout of Bennetts Field etc for this season so clearly something has changed.

Based on what Bozza has said, I wouldn't be surprised to see this decision change fairly soon. Have the "building works" to add the various divisions/barriers proposed started at all, or was that always a non starter?

D

Deleted member 22389

I heard rumour a while back that Mr Bennett was asking for a massive increase in annual rent as part of the lease renewal, in the order of around 400% of the value being paid under the existing lease. I imagine he thought the club had no choice but to pay. Seems he was wrong.

Don't play poker against Tony Bloom unless you are prepared to lose.

Good on Tony I say if those rumours are true. serves people right for being so greedy.
Ball is back in the owners court now. Is he going to turn down money, let's see?

I'm sure the club could do a deal with a farmer and the council, and get something off the A27. There is enough space, and there is that road that runs alongside the A27.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Isn't that Lord B's shuttle service for the disabled?

Dunno - that sentence is all they have to say on the matter - it doesn't read like it's only for disabled folk to me :shrug:

Presumably you show your 1901 S/T to get access? Gotta keep hoi polloi normal S/T off the shuttle somehow. *ducks*

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I wouldn't say there are more corporate fans in the platinum lounges. Maybe in the newer lounges there are more suits, but not in the lounges sold right at the start.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Haven't they turfed all the Uni ticket holders out to make way for the 1901 lot?

I gave up my Uni parking for this season but I can't see how they can get any more in ... if they have managed to get another whatever hundred places from the Uni it will be total chaos over there

Interesting you say that. I paid for uni parking last season (I don't get free 1901 parking as I only have 1 seat in 1901). I've also paid for uni parking for this season - they've taken my money and haven't (yet?) told me that "errr...sorry....", so we'll see.

Last time I checked though, there was no uni parking s/t for sale (that was about 2 weeks ago) or for individual games (I looked a couple of days ago).

So it looks like they halted sales of uni parking at least two weeks ago in anticipation that they might end up here.... just a guess, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here