Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for £63m

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think I read somewhere today, that their last couple of deals has cost them more than Ajax recruitment has cost since they started as a club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Insane money. The bloke scored 9 goals in 34 La Ligue matches last season. He looked great in the World Cup, but take that Uruguay game out of the equation and he scored against Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan and a consolation penalty against what was proved to be an ordinary Brazil defence.

Obviously he had a great World Cup, but so did Andre Schurrle who is the same age, scored 3 goals and made 3 assists, cost £18 million and he'll start on Chelsea's bench.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Think I read somewhere today, that their last couple of deals has cost them more than Ajax recruitment has cost since they started as a club.

From memory: Ronaldo, Bale and James - total 265m. Ajax - total ever - 235m.

Very good player, but signing players for inflated fees on the back of a good World Cup has rarely worked. Especially if it means the end for the likes of Di Maria and Isco, Real will lose out in the long run.

They can afford it because of their ridiculous revenue streams, and offset by selling Di Maria, Isco, and Khedira

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's good, but he's not £63 million good, IMO. The Spanish financial crisis obviously doesn't apply to the two biggest football clubs in the country...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
He's good, but he's not £63 million good, IMO. The Spanish financial crisis obviously doesn't apply to the two biggest football clubs in the country...

I don't think anyone is €63m or is it £63m? The money in football is just insane.

Even if a player in the championship is "only" on £10k a week, I have to work 6 months to earn that as a take home wage packet, including doing 12-15 hours over time a week at time and a half, which I'm lucky to get these days.

It's just mental. It really is.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Stupid over the top deal from Madrid, but they usually manage to get away with this sort of thing :( Rofriguez had a good WC for sure, but as mentioned above others had equally good tournaments.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
RM are the biggest sports entity in the world, and it is their ethos to buy the best (most noteworthy) player at the time of the summer transfer window to appease the Madristas. Liverpool of the 70's/80's had a similar idea. Buy one player to perk up the squad and stiffen competition for a start in games. Looking how they dominated at home and abroad in that era shows it can work. Looking how managers now generate a squad for the forthcoming 'project' (PL season/CL or EL tilt), it is all wheeling and dealing, ducking and simulation :)

D

Deleted member 18477

They get away with it because the Spanish can sell their own TV rights I think. So Barca and Real will always stay 10 times richer than anyone else in their league.

We have got it right in England in terms of splitting TV money evenly at least. Although I'd like to see more of that money distributed to the rest of the football league clubs but that will never happen.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Damn that is a ridiculous sum of money. What club was he at previously?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
RM and Barca may be miles richer than the other La Liga clubs, but it doesn't guarantee either of them winning the league, as last season's Atletico Madrid title win attests :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here