Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anybody know why this kid is wearing an Albion shirt?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Hmmmmm......not sure it is appropriate or very professional for Mark Anderson (Albion's former Academy Player Recruitment and Talent ID Manager and now at Manchester United) to be tweeting transfer gossip about a young lad at his previous club:-

[TWEET]864569054429945857[/TWEET]

And now, as if by magic, the tweet no longer exists.

Fancy that.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Anderson is out of order. Imo, tweeting about another clubs player being subject to interest from various other clubs is unprofessional & unethical. Then again, ethical and modern football in the same sentence is a classic oxymoron. Garcia has picked up on it and it can only turn his head.

The flip side of all that. Should other 'big names' come after the lad, I have full faith in Tony B to rinse any interested clubs for as much dosh as is possible. Did I read Garcia is still under contract? Irrespective of that, due to his age, we hold all the cards. Would be nice to hold onto talent we have developed, but so be it if he's set on leaving. Hopefully would make the Gareth Barry 'seagull on his head' cash appear very small change.

I believe he is contracted through until the end of next season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe not, but let's not start comparing us to inter Milan.
I'm not comparing us to Inter in terms of club size, ability, prestige etc, but I am saying we're a better club for some people to develop at, because they're more likely to get a game here.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
How many games did he play for under 23's? Did not see his name much.
If Connolly at 16-17 was getting a game, then surely this guy at 17-18 would have played more often if he was really attracting the attention of Inter Milan?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How many games did he play for under 23's? Did not see his name much.
If Connolly at 16-17 was getting a game, then surely this guy at 17-18 would have played more often if he was really attracting the attention of Inter Milan?

One sub appearance, for 11 minutes.

It is a valid point; Maguire-Drew played a number of games for the U-21s during his U-16 season. Jayson Molumby and Aaron Connolly were both fast-tracked into the side during their 1st scholar years.

Garcia (who has just completed his 2nd scholar year) has played just 11 minutes at that level.

I have no idea why; could be a number of reasons. Every player will develop differently and will have a unique development path.

(Doesn't make it any less astonishing to my simple mind that his agent had a logo developed for him when he had made precisely 6 starts for the U-18s, but I guess as a Premier League club we will have to get used to that sort of tomfoolery).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I hadn't seen this particular article until just now - Agent of Brighton starlet addresses exit speculation, seems open to potential transfer

Some quotes:-

The fan website also got in touch with the Seagulls midfielder’s agent, who said: “I’ve already brought young talent to Italy, and I could do it again with Garcia. A few clubs from there are following him. Out of respect, I won’t say any names, and nothing is definitive as Brighton will be playing in the Premier League next year.

“Does he play like Icardi? It’s difficult because they play differently. Mauro is a goalscorer, Luis Garcia is more technical. He’s more like a David Silva and even reminds me of Paulo Dybala.

Not entirely ruling out a move to Italy for his client, it seems there could be room for a deal to be done here, but we doubt Brighton would be entirely pleased at losing such a talented player before he’s even broken into the first-team.

Furthermore, the youngster himself seems to be enjoying the attention, retweeting press articles linking him to various clubs around Europe on his social media account.

Is this the wonderful new world we have now entered - bloody U-18 players and their agents thinking they are god's gift, making comparisons to some of the top players in the world, bragging they could take their client to a top European club?

This lad has played - count them - 11 fricking minutes at U-23 level in his entire bloody career. "...before he's even broken into the first-team." - He hasn't even broken into the flipping reserves, for crying out loud.

How depressing. :(

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I expect it's always gone on it's just players were going to Prem teams and comparing themselves to Prem players and now they have to go up one final level and talk about teams who've won European tournaments multiple times etc. because WE'RE PREM LEAGUE...... so I'm just smiling and sure they'll all get on with it themselves.

Nice to see this thread resurface :)

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I must say that whilst I am not for rushing the development of these kids, we do however seem to be very slow/reluctant to bring taken through to the first team. i guess we have had other priorities but it would be nice to see the most talented (maybe not this guy as I have no idea how good he is) get a chance

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Whatever happened to Luis Garcia?

After signing for Sevilla he didn't manage to break into their first team.
He was then transferred to Secunda Division B team Las Palmas Atletico, who subsequently loaned him to US based Providence Friars who play in the NCAA Division1 which is a US college league.

Check out post #97 from 2014 for an early mention of Ben White. Whatever happened to him?

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Google is a brilliant, brilliant thing. Not only did it help me find the info posted above, but by googling a portion of text that appeared in the official site's story of the U-18s trip to Portugal, and by using the "cached" option on the results, it brought up a version that showed the squad list (that has now been removed, for some reason, from the story).

So for anyone else interested, here are our current scholars:-

View attachment 56497

Now, the next task is to discover who this Sanchez is .....

Did you ever find out who Sanchez is?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whatever happened to Luis Garcia?

After signing for Sevilla he didn't manage to break into their first team.
He was then transferred to Secunda Division B team Las Palmas Atletico, who subsequently loaned him to US based Providence Friars who play in the NCAA Division1 which is a US college league.

Check out post #97 from 2014 for an early mention of Ben White. Whatever happened to him?
Hero (maybe) to zero in 4 short years - wow! Guess the interim story was on other threads - must admit I'd completely forgotten about him!

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Did you ever find out who Sanchez is?

I had to wait 10 months before there was even another mention of him by the club, at which time I created this classic* thread - Who is Albion goalkeeper Robert Sanchez?

*classic in my eyes, I realize 99% of NSC wouldn't have given a stuff about him until he appeared on the teamsheet at Tottenham more than six years later

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I had to wait 10 months before there was even another mention of him by the club, at which time I created this classic* thread - Who is Albion goalkeeper Robert Sanchez?

*classic in my eyes, I realize 99% of NSC wouldn't have given a stuff about him until he appeared on the teamsheet at Tottenham more than six years later

Both fascinating and excellent threads. Keep up the good work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here