Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG - The BFC lowdown (as promised)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem in order to counter balance the mongers of doom, CoG is now being talked up to top goal scorer status.

Would it not be better for all if he was just considered to be the player that he is:-

The third string striker behind CMS and someone of higher profile.
A player bought in to replace Hoskins and all the calamitous loanees.
A fella that will get decent game time, who may or may not take his chance.

Naturally I hope he does but conversely I'm not expecting him to be 'the next Glenn Murray' (but only in a contract negotiation season)

WhiteyBFC

Aug 23, 2012
I can't go quoting/replying to everyone who took the time to respond to my thread as it'd look a bit silly. So I'll thank you all for any kind words. But as Dan Aitch put it, I merely wanted you (the doubters especially) to have a look at the goals he scored for us in the hope that you'd perhaps at least give him a chance. A dozen games or so I usually see as a fair barometer.

And that 'was' a video of just his goals. Oh, and the COG 'turn'. I could have littered it with various other clips showing his grafting nature, his endeavour, and of course, the couple of penalties he missed (one was well saved, the other hit the woodwork). But I was pressed for time what with work this morning and so I put it together very quickly.

But here's one link to a clip showing you a bit more of what he's about. And, he did this a handful of times, never giving up, chasing lost causes, getting us something, 'anything'. The more I recall, the more sadness (and pride) I feel at his moving on. I f****** loved him. :O

And to clear it up before I go, I haven't anything against Albion. By irrelevant, I meant that in my time (I'm 32) as a supporter I've never really thought anything about you. We're not rivals. Other end of the country. For the most part, we've been at least one division above you. And in the last three years, you've been at the other end of the division as we scrapped for survival. The only things of relevance would be COG (now), a bid for Greer that even we found laughable, the fact that McNulty and Davies played for us both recently'ish. And we've Hoskins on trial.

I do find a portion of your fanbase to be absolutely, and ridiculously arrogant, with nothing to justify it at all. The 'Wednesday' of the south we refer to you as on our forum. But I'm more than aware that it's a minority, just as we've a minority who embarrass us. I don't scold you for getting a big old stadium built and then filling it. The potential's always been there and if I'm being honest, you've a lot of fans I imagine that have been through the wringer, seen darker days than I have as a BFC fan. I've been lucky to have started watching us as a 6 year old in 1988 and thus saw our incredible 90's era and all that it took in. I'm possibly going to see some dark times now, similar to the state we found ourselves in in the early 2000's after administration. It'll only strengthen my affection and love for my fantastic little club.

Again, much appreciated were the replies, and all the best to Albion and of course Big Chris.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not forgetting we paid £600k for Hoskins and look what happened to him. Hopefully the injury woes that seem to befall on us will be avoided by COG and he can score the goals that we have been missing

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Great work by the OP. Looking forward to seeing CoG bang them in for the Albion.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think we could be so positive about Will Hoskins. I did not see enough of him and the only thing I remember was the goal against Newcastle which fell nicely on his right foot.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 'Wednesday' of the south we refer to you as on our forum.

HOW VERY DARE YOU :rant: We are a MASSIVE club and should be referred to as the Leeds United :lolol: of the South :lol:

Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:
Leeds United :lolol::lolol:

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Wednesday :lolol: think everyone is crap ... even their own it would appear, which is pretty accurate I'd say

That's pretty wide of the mark, as was Whitey's assessment of COGba's time at S6. He was never prolific - his goals tended to come in bunches punctuating long spells when he didn't score - not always his fault as he was often played out wide. He was, and remains popular with a lot of Wednesday :lolol: fans, mainly due to his hard work and a few important goal in our promotion season. Whilst he was never a world beater for us, he did a job and a lot of our fans were bitterly disappointed to see him loaned out, particularly to a relegation rival. I think the reception he gets from the travelling Owls will show you how we feel about him (although he'll be called everything from a pig to a dog once the whistle goes). £500k seems a reasonable fee for him and I'm sure he'll do a decent job for you without reaching the levels of adulation he achieved at Oakwell.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Why are we known as the Wednsday of the South?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

WhiteyBFC

Aug 23, 2012
That's pretty wide of the mark, as was Whitey's assessment of COGba's time at S6. He was never prolific - his goals tended to come in bunches punctuating long spells when he didn't score - not always his fault as he was often played out wide. He was, and remains popular with a lot of Wednesday :lolol: fans, mainly due to his hard work and a few important goal in our promotion season. Whilst he was never a world beater for us, he did a job and a lot of our fans were bitterly disappointed to see him loaned out, particularly to a relegation rival. I think the reception he gets from the travelling Owls will show you how we feel about him (although he'll be called everything from a pig to a dog once the whistle goes). £500k seems a reasonable fee for him and I'm sure he'll do a decent job for you without reaching the levels of adulation he achieved at Oakwell.
Fair assessment of COG's time at S6 that. But you know I was referring to the majority of Owls when I said they thought he was awful. And it was, mate. It was the majority. They were falling over themselves to tell me how bad he was.

Agreed on the adulation bit though. Few players who leave us as heroes or whatever, ever go on to gain the same status elsewhere. We're a humble little club with less expectations I suppose. We'll never be massive. :D

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why are we known as the Wednsday of the South?

Well I think a few of the quotes demeaning Chris O'Grady on some of the other threads might start to provide you with a clue.

We have a few deluded idiots on here, same as Massive Wednesday and Mighty Leeds do (maybe slightly fewer, in fairness).

Centurion

Sep 2, 2012
I feel a lot happier now, thanks for posting

Chris joined us from our near neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday.

He scored near enough a goal every other game. He created (directly) plenty. Indirectly, he assisted many more.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not Zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a Messi or Ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by Xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while COG was injured) it was about as bad a Barnsley side that I've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, COG being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for Wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But I seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you. But from now on, I'll be looking out for your results and wishing COGba all the best.

Thanks for reading. Treat him well, eh?

And here's a quick video I cobbled together earlier:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Always been fascinated by Barnsley. It is a town that punches above its weight. A rich industrial heritage, known for producing outstanding musicians, lots of films set in the area . I could probably name more famous people from there than I could from here.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Always been fascinated by Barnsley. It is a town that punches above its weight. A rich industrial heritage, known for producing outstanding musicians, lots of films set in the area . I could probably name more famous people from there than I could from here.

:lolol: years ago,when i was about 17,me and the lads used to go pubbing and clubbing,non event,parapox etc,anyway on the way back from the escape club one night,walking along all beer'ed up came some northern blokes,asking us where the birds were/best club etc..

anyway i said where are you from? one went,Barnsley mate,you ain't beent nowhere till ya been ter Barnsley,i'm telling ya!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here