Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just a thought - Ricardo Vaz Te

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't see it myself.

A percentage of the Ulloa cash ought to be spent on a striker.
I just don't think there's value in the UK.

I imagine there's a few cheaper Vaz Te's dotted around Europe, or better quality for Vaz Te money.

I'd love it if before the end of August the club unveiled a striker with Germanic or Scandinavian connections.
The Burkers wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I can't see it myself.

I imagine there's a few cheaper Vaz Te's dotted around Europe, or better quality for Vaz Te money.

I'd love it if before the end of August the club unveiled a striker with Germanic or Scandinavian connections.

I have to agree with you on the value point.

There must be plenty of bargains to be had in Europe for our budget.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to agree with you on the value point.

There must be plenty of bargains to be had in Europe for our budget.
Clearly it's easier said than done.
Plus we're not shopping at Lidl's with Waitrose cash, we is going up in the world.

It's more of a statement about the considered value of players like Vaz Te.

It feels like you can almost predict what you'll get:-

a strong start
a bit of publicity
a bit of a drought
injury
then just as the wider footballing community 'forgets' them, they get some kind of form.

For that you have to pay £5+m, on the strength of a few nice goals in high profile games.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Clearly it's easier said than done.
Plus we're not shopping at Lidl's with Waitrose cash, we is going up in the world.

It's more of a statement about the considered value of players like Vaz Te.

It feels like you can almost predict what you'll get:-

a strong start
a bit of publicity
a bit of a drought
injury
then just as the wider footballing community 'forgets' them, they get some kind of form.

For that you have to pay £5+m, on the strength of a few nice goals in high profile games.

Good point.

I don't think it's always a case of having to break our wage structure with players like Vaz Te.

Sometimes, players are more happy getting games and limelight than dollars.

It's rare, but it does happen

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
All conjecture from us of course, but we could do a lot worse. He tore our defence to pieces on the day of that awful 6-0 defeat and I was mighty impressed with him. If we did have our sights on him, the stumbling block could of course be wages.

* Awaiting to see which tabloid/rumour site is first to have this speculation as 'fact'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's just a player.
He's a player that comfortably sits in the 20 club zone that covers the bottom of the Prem and the top of the championship.
Because of wages, contract and ability he's never going beyond or below that comfort zone.

The problem as has been said already is because he's already on the gravy train he's so expensive.

I'd much rather spend some of the Leo cash on a player hungry for the payday, not one already getting it.

Mannie

Jun 4, 2014
Brighton
£13k is a lot, but he doesn't seem have to many options in the prem otherwise he would have moved or have been moved on by now. Good performances at WHU, can't remember much of him at Hibs or Barnsley

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Who would you get In under our current budget and wage structure who is better than Vaz Te and who Is available?

Any young technical player that has pace and is keen to impress. I'd much rather see a loan come in than a Vaz Te. My impression of him is he is inconsistent and likes the big time too much. If you look at his career he seems more then happy getting splinters or not even getting in the match day squad.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can't see it myself.

I completely agree with this. Strikers in this country are massively overpriced. Why get one of them when you can get a deal like Ulloa. Even if the original reports are right, we've tripled our investment in one and a half years and he's been great for us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just a thought - wages.

Average first teamer in the Premier League gets about £26K a week, Youngsters may get £10K a week,. Experienced Premier League professionals are likely to be beyond our wages budget and I have discounted all of them.

Premier youngsters
Lower league players
Foreigners

Seem to fit the wages budget.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Available for loan according to the FL Paper (now featuring Adam Virgo!).

Could do a job!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Available for loan according to the FL Paper (now featuring Adam Virgo!).

Could do a job!

with a view to buy later .............get in

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
with a view to buy later .............get in

He might be out of contract at the end of the season. He originally signed for West Ham in Jan 2012 on a 2.5 year contract with an option of a third year. If West Ham don't take that option he can leave at the end of the season for nothing. Although as he is still only 28 I imagine quite a few clubs would be interested in him if he was available for free, however a player of his presence and size is exactly what we are missing at the moment up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here