Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Preston Barracks redevelopment

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Funny you said this as they're all being rebuilt now!
Apparently Halfords is moving along one unit and the old building will become a Lidl, not sure what the third is

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Funny you said this as they're all being rebuilt now!

There's going to be an Aldi there. That's going to save me plenty of time when I go shopping.

I'm well impressed with the plans for this development - they look pretty adventurous designs and it will really liven up that area of Brighton. Perhaps we may even see the pub open again

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There's going to be an Aldi there. That's going to save me plenty of time when I go shopping.

I'm well impressed with the plans for this development - they look pretty adventurous designs and it will really liven up that area of Brighton. Perhaps we may even see the pub open again

That will probably be more flats if the pub companies recent actions are anything to go by. The Royal Oak at Wivlesfield, on the accident prone bend bend was demolished last week with flats or houses to replace it. Who would want to live on that bend? Certainly not me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
[/B]

That will probably be more flats if the pub companies recent actions are anything to go by. The Royal Oak at Wivlesfield, on the accident prone bend bend was demolished last week with flats or houses to replace it. Who would want to live on that bend? Certainly not me.

It's been closed for quite a few years now and no-one's developed it yet. The pub on the gyratory was closed after The Lectern was and that's been demolished and replaced by a block of flats already. I imagine that a pub opposite student accommodation would make a few bob - we shall see.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

That'll be mentally busy with all the students around! Imagine the queues!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's been closed for quite a few years now and no-one's developed it yet. The pub on the gyratory was closed after The Lectern was and that's been demolished and replaced by a block of flats already. I imagine that a pub opposite student accommodation would make a few bob - we shall see.

Are you talking of the Lectern or the pub in Wivlesfield. I am not sure if it still exists but there was a covenant that pub had to be closed and not trading for 2 years before it could be de-licenced and demolished or change of use applied for.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are you talking of the Lectern or the pub in Wivlesfield. I am not sure if it still exists but there was a covenant that pub had to be closed and not trading for 2 years before it could be de-licenced and demolished or change of use applied for.

I don't know any pubs in Wivelsfield. I'm talking about The Lectern, it's been closed for well over two years (I think it shut in Jan/Feb 2015) and there's no sign of any development

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't know any pubs in Wivelsfield. I'm talking about The Lectern, it's been closed for well over two years (I think it shut in Jan/Feb 2015) and there's no sign of any development
Used to be my local, always loads of Celtic fans in there!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Surely they will still need car parks, probably bigger car parks?

Have you got any more details? Is it just a University development or will there be private housing? Think expanding the universities still further without more private housing could be disastrous.

Theres money in student accommodation, look at the infrastructure that has been developed around the universities, cycle lanes, student pods etc, Lidl/Aldi moving into the retail park also. Its about the money, as for social housing, not sure many voters who live or want to lve in these houses are green voters.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The rate of regeneration of this city since The Green Party came in has been phenomenal.

It shows that the philosophy of a council heavily investing in regeneration of the streets will lead to more commercial investments and so further regeneration of the city.

Didn't realise that regenration was so easy, no doubt developers and large corporations have been given the land for nothing? The Greens have ignored the indigenous people of Brighton.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Apparently Halfords is moving along one unit and the old building will become a Lidl, not sure what the third is

Correct, except it will be Aldi not Lidl. There's is also a costa opening apparently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here