Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** England v India *** 2nd Spicy Test at Lords 17th -21st SS2 11am

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I suppose this is where we need our ridiculously long batting order. If the top order had done their job it might have been Chasable, unfortunately Cook/Bell/Robson got bogged down & gave away their wickets.

Still got Broad, Plunkett & Anderson to come I suppose... Straws clutching at.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is again systematic of the total disarray in the dressing room…..

oh total b o l l o c k s, we've fallen into the most basic trap ever set. Lets all get out hooking and smashing it.

Here you go India, here's the win.

Absolute s h i t e.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is a f**king shambles

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
h1DA04E9C

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ever since Strauss retired it's been a slow and painful downturn, culminating in this shambles. Changes needed now, I really cannot believe what I've just seen: 3 batsman get out playing almost exactly the same shot again the same bowler :facepalm:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why does Prior get 12 off 11 balls, all he should be doing is creating singles to give Root strike and get some stability to the innings!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wow. What am amazingly naive way to chuck this one away.

We are hopeless. Outbowled in British conditions by Sri Lanka and India. Incapable of dealing with pressure when batting.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Extras is 31no, perhaps there's a case for moving him up the order

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Plunkett & Broad are fairly handy batsman but I feel sorry for them, if they had 30/40 to chase you might back them but 120 odd is surely an impossibility.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Plunkett & Broad are fairly handy batsman but I feel sorry for them, if they had 30/40 to chase you might back them but 120 odd is surely an impossibility.

Evwen if they did somehow miraculously scramble over the line it would probably a poor thing to happen to us long term. Cook/Prior would remain and we'd go onto Southampton for the next test unchanged and in the way we play would remain exactly the same.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The worst thing is that you can see them adding a commendable 80 between them before tea, only to come straight out after another "inspirational" team talk and hand their wickets to India with a pretty pink bow. I'll plump for Broad out stumped trying to slog a spinner over his head, and Plunkett wafting at one MILES outside off stump.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ever since Strauss retired it's been a slow and painful downturn, culminating in this shambles. Changes needed now, I really cannot believe what I've just seen: 3 batsman get out playing almost exactly the same shot again the same bowler :facepalm:

What is incredible though, is that this appears to clearly be a plan devised in the dressing room at lunch time.

Strauss is the cause of some of this though. He's reign instigated a period of attritional cricket for England, we wore sides down, strangled their runs, and often relied on outstanding batting performances rather than batting tactically. Yes, it bought success, but it bought about a particular way of playing. We've rested on our laurels thinking new players would just slip into this model. But, the model required outstanding performances from Cook, KP, Bell, Broad, Anderson and sometimes Swan, in that once Cook's form has left in, the house of cards has tumbled. We don't know any other way of playing. No more was this highlighted than on the first day.

Yes, all cricket teams rely on outstanding performances of course, but some also survive and win matches through being flexible, having good tactical awareness, and batting with purpose.

I thought we'd reached rock bottom in the winter, but clearly there is more falling still to be done…..

The frustrating thing is, is that we are better than this. There is something else at work here, whether the captain, the dressing room, the selectors. But we are failing to recognise a need to change and seem to be simply reliant on a belief that it's bound to get better. News flash is, it ain't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here