Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7-1 Why the hell can't England do that?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Why oh Why can't England do that - Similar League set ups in both countries I don't believe individually Germany's players are that much better than ours. Surely give it a few years to pull together and maybe England could get it right.

I think we beat then 5-1 in Germany a while ago

I've said it before but it's all down to playing with freedom and good decision making, we play like robots and are coached in exactly what to do and how to do it. Again, I'm not advocating the abolition of coaching, but let players play, it's what they do..... All this bollards about tippy tappy posession football, formations etc, it's hogwash

I think Brazil got hammered precisely because they were under-coached, had a poor shape and were all playing as individuals. Germany's success was not one of attacking football, but of iron discipline, dark "coached" arts (block for crucial opening goal which just made Brazil play even more loosely) and counterattacking performed very well (but hard to say how well, because Brazil defenders and keeper made every mistake in the book).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Would you rather...

Neuer or Hart?
Lahm or Johnson?
Hummels or Cahill?
Mertesacker or Jagielka?
Boateng or Baines?
Schweinsteiger or Gerrard?
Khedira or Henderson?
Kroos or Lallana?
Schürrle or Sterling?
Özil or Welbeck?
Müller or Rooney?
Klose or Sturridge?

Germanys players ARE much better than ours.

One vote for Jagielka :thumbsup:

Dont get me wrong, Germany are a good team but they were arguably 2nd best in the last 16 game, i think Brazil were horribly poor last night but it was the fact Germany just kept going at them is which sets them apart.How many teams would have just kept going for the jugular like they did last night?

I think most teams if the opposition let them! I agree with you, Brazil will be held up in years to come as a laboratory pure example of a coaching disaster - shame because Big Phil desreves a better legacy than that but that's what he'll be remembered for now. I've seen most of Germany's games in this world cup and they impress me more defensively than offensively - I think both the Dutch and the Argentines will give them a proper game unlike last night

Oct 25, 2003
Englands 5-1 win over Germany in 2001 was a great performance without doubt, but when was the last time England put in a performance of that standard in a tournament? That game was a qualifier for a tournament that England eventually limped out of and Germany reached the final.

I always think the sign of a really world class player is when they're really capable of stepping up in high pressure situations. It's all well and good stuffing teams in qualification but what really matters is how you perform in tournaments. What we saw last night was one team who really stepped up and one who completely didn't. I really can't remember the last time England gave anyone a really good thrashing in a tournament...

In terms of Germany vs England...Germany have now reached 13 World Cup semi finals and this will be their 8th final. They've also reached 8 European Championship semi's with 6 of those being Final appearances. England have reached the World Cup semi's twice and the Euro semi's twice. Germany are a footballing superpower....we really aren't

Would you rather...

Neuer or Hart?
Lahm or Johnson?
Hummels or Cahill?
Mertesacker or Jagielka?
Boateng or Baines?
Schweinsteiger or Gerrard?
Khedira or Henderson?
Kroos or Lallana?
Schürrle or Sterling?
Özil or Welbeck?
Müller or Rooney?
Klose or Sturridge?

Germanys players ARE much better than ours.

Yes - but but but I'm not convinced there's a yawning gulf in class that cant be closed with better coaching in the years to come. There are some close calls there. I dont think the likes of Khedira, Mertesacker, Klose and Ozil have had particularly amazing tournaments, the real superstars like Muller, Lahm, Neuer and Schweinsteiger allied with a great tactical shape have dragged the others upwards. Looking at that England team, the midfield looks very weak and the defence average, but if the likes of Rooney, Sterling and Sturridge had been born German, maybe even Baines and Lallana, think they'd have had a decent shout of making the team

Oct 25, 2003
May have got my dates wrong - 99-01. They had an awful tournament at the Euros in 2000 and we beat them on their home patch 5-1 in '01 didn't we? (Imagine that!)

it was around then yeah...'98 was a fairly poor tournament for them- outclassed by Croatia and then '00 was even worse, losing every game including against a terrible England side, and the 5-1 defeat followed in '01. 2002 was a bit of a good point in a poor era for them, reaching the final although their route to the final (Cameroon, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Paraguay, USA, South Korea) wasn't too taxing and they were heavily carried by Ballack. 2004 was another poor tournament and it wasn't really until '06 that they had turned things around.

What they did do though was realise early on that things were going wrong and that they weren't producing enough top players and they actually did something about it!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Well Germany's top striker Klose is a Pole, as is Lukas Podolski. You hear all this bullshit about England needing to nurture home grown talent, well maybe we should be nurturing foreign grown talent instead. Maybe now that that oily South African tosser Kevin Pietersen has quit cricket we could shoehorn him into an England football shirt instead...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well Germany's top striker Klose is a Pole, as is Lukas Podolski. You hear all this bullshit about England needing to nurture home grown talent, well maybe we should be nurturing foreign grown talent instead. Maybe now that that oily South African tosser Kevin Pietersen has quit cricket we could shoehorn him into an England football shirt instead...

*Yawn*...Of course, by that logic most black players playing for England are Jamaican rather than English - you think that? I certainly don't - and Owen Hargreaves never existed. As you were.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
*Yawn*...Of course, by that logic most black players playing for England are Jamaican rather than English - you think that? I certainly don't - and Owen Hargreaves never existed. As you were.

Don't be ridiculous. Klose was born and raised in Poland. What has that got to do with players with a Jamaican heritage who are born and raised here playing for England? Are you oily South African Kevin ****ing Pietersen or something?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
May have got my dates wrong - 99-01. They had an awful tournament at the Euros in 2000 and we beat them on their home patch 5-1 in '01 didn't we? (Imagine that!)

Correct. And Germany realised all was not well and did something about it. They often quote 2000 as the start of the new beginning.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Brazil were VERY poor last night, but Germany were unbelievable.

Mrs Hiney will admit she knows very little about football, but even she said "The Germans look so ORGANISED". They absolutely ripped the Brazilians apart with a superb display of football.

It was a joy to watch.

We are a MILLION miles away from that.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Germany have an extremely well structured and sophisticated coaching system which produces a conveyor belt of well rounded and effective talent and have coaches who rather than mimic other nations play to their individual strengths.

A recipe for sustained success if you ask me and Germany have a record for all of us to envy. Just shows what can be achieved if you get the setup right

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You're showing your ignorance here. As I understand it Klose was born in an area which was German until the post-war border changes. His family were German and living in Germany until the border moved. Your family do not just lose your nationality if your country is over-taken by someone else.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They blooded the likes of Ozil, Neuer, Muller, Kroos, Khedira and Boateng at the 2010 World Cup. And still got to the semi finals. England tried similar this time around with a load of new faces and "exciting young prospects" and went out in the group

The salient point here is not that Germany reached the semi-final, it is that England tried similar this time round. If we keep the same group together for four years it is possible that we too can have success through blooding a young group and sticking with them. The fact that we went out of the group stage after two very narrow defeats is not relevant.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Not sure what point you're trying to make with these two? Klose moved to Germany when he was 8 and Podolski when he was 6. I don't think we'll start importing 8 year olds with a view to them playing in the national team anytime soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't be ridiculous. Klose was born and raised in Poland. What has that got to do with players with a Jamaican heritage who are born and raised here playing for England? Are you oily South African Kevin ****ing Pietersen or something?

Have you read my post yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here