Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward deal NOT done (yet?)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How does that work in our favour?

No other club wants to pay out £10k to £13k a week for his services plus a transfer fee on top leaving us as the only club in the running willing to take him on our terms.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I can see why this one has rumbled on - it's a Mexican standoff. Brighton KNOW that if push comes to shove on deadline day Wolves will cave in because they want his wages off the wage bill.

I'm massively interested that as yet there has been no interest from elsewhere - Ward was one of the top performers in a playoff team last year, if another team gets involved, then we've got a problem.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I can see why this one has rumbled on - it's a Mexican standoff. Brighton KNOW that if push comes to shove on deadline day Wolves will cave in because they want his wages off the wage bill.

I'm massively interested that as yet there has been no interest from elsewhere - Ward was one of the top performers in a playoff team last year, if another team gets involved, then we've got a problem.

Could be a stand off between all 3 parties , all 3 ways

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Maybe.... he is a free agent though isnt he ?... and not exactly past it at 33 for a season...

hehe couldn't resist.

I think he is, but his defending at this stage I'd say is a level below Wards. And he'd want ridiculous wages for his swansong. He's definitely not the player he used to be, never the best defender and he's not scored since 2010 He started to lose his place in a relegation side which should say something about his defending.
But if he's revealed today WELCOME JOHNNY!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We have Chicksen who may or may not be up to starting this season, but I think he played well whenever needed last season. Ward hasn't seemed to have attracted any other interest despite looking for a new club since end of last season. Each week that goes by costs Wolves 13K.

From the little we know, we seem to be in a very good negotiating position with no pressure on us to push for a conclusion.

(Ward will now be signed by someone else within the hour)

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Not a suggestion but a question answerable by yes or no sorry if it is too intelligent for you and others to understand the difference between a question and a suggestion.

A question is normally followed by a question mark.....just saying!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct but it was a loaded question to enable people to discuss the pros and cons but unfortunately this site is getting more used by people who are up their own arse who find it easier to be insulting

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Not a suggestion but a question answerable by yes or no sorry if it is too intelligent for you and others to understand the difference between a question and a suggestion.

Apologies, it read like a suggestion. Ok, to answer your "question." No, he couldn't. He hasn't had a decent game since that loan season at Pompey and even then his goals return was 2 in 26. He is the epitome of overpaid and underachieving and not the type of player we should be spending our precious budget on. I hope that my lack of intelligence hasn't rendered this post ambiguous?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh, and I didn't insult you. You questioned my intelligence however.

My apologies but I am very thick skinned and take most things with a pinch of salt but occassionally react after continual unneccessary criticism. Not knowing who is behind the keyboard leads one to think it could possibly be a child just started senior school. No harm done and hopefully no offense taken

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Fair enough. I didn't criticise you though! Just your "question." No harm done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That was my thinking behind asking Sog about scouts watching him tonight, working in our favour. We know there are other Championship clubs who will pay more wages than we are prepared to fork out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here