Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Boxing Day Myth

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out for a quick pint in my local last night. Group of blokes at the bar talking. In the time it took me to order a round I heard them loudly assert the following untruths as definite fact:

1. Brighton are definitely away on Boxing Day this season
2. This is because we're "not allowed" to use the Amex on Boxing Day.
3. This in turn is because there is only a Sunday service on the trains on Boxing Days and trains don't stop at Falmer on Sundays.

The barman told them he thought we were at home but they looked at him like he was mad. When such mis information is being openly discussed as fact around town it's no wonder there are so many dodgy transfer rumours out there.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Could be wrong but I don't believe there is ANY train service on Boxing Day.
Out for a quick pint in my local last night. Group of blokes at the bar talking. In the time it took me to order a round I heard them loudly assert the following untruths as definite fact:

3. This in turn is because there is only a Sunday service on the trains on Boxing Days and trains don't stop at Falmer on Sundays.

The barman told them he thought we were at home but they looked at him like he was mad. When such mis information is being openly discussed as fact around town it's no wonder there are so many dodgy transfer rumours out there.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Is it a myth that we could have faced point deductions if we didn't stage a home games on Boxing Day if that was what the fixture computer had dealt us ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it a myth that we could have faced point deductions if we didn't stage a home games on Boxing Day if that was what the fixture computer had dealt us ???

No.

The Football League threatened Brighton with sanctions (fine / points deduction) if we could not fulfil our fixture obligation against Millwall in 2012. Paul Barber came up with a solution which suited Millwall and the Football League (bring it forward nine days).

The club has since said it will fulfil the Boxing Day fixture on Boxing Day.

Will cost a a few quid, I expect.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No.

The Football League threatened Brighton with sanctions (fine / points deduction) if we could not fulfil our fixture obligation against Millwall in 2012. Paul Barber came up with a solution which suited Millwall and the Football League (bring it forward nine days).

The club has since said it will fulfil the Boxing Day fixture on Boxing Day.

Will cost a a few quid, I expect.

Less than the cost of making up the lost points or the fine I'd imagine though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Less than the cost of making up the lost points or the fine I'd imagine though.

Don't know. Depends on the level of the fine.

Bus and train drivers are on triple time on Boxing Day, I believe - and (I could be wrong here), I recall someone senior in the club stating that the bus contract doesn't currently cover Boxing Day.

Then there's the point that, while the mainline might be running, the cost of opening all stations in between - and that's just the stations within the BHA travel zone - would be astronomical.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
After the saga of 2012, I would like to think a plan of action has been worked out. There's been 18 months to plan for it.

Of course, another option that would have the club jumping in delight is if the game were to be moved to the next day for TV. That is a serious long shot though.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Its you that has it all wrong. Those blokes in the pub told me.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So do we have a home game boxing day?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then there's the point that, while the mainline might be running, the cost of opening all stations in between - and that's just the stations within the BHA travel zone - would be astronomical.

i thought the main issue is that the entire east bound line is shut, no trains to or through Falmer. so not so much a matter of opening a few stations on the Brighton mainline (which could remain shut, think thats beyond clubs responsibility), its a matter of lighting up the track from Brighton to Lewes.

on the other hand, it may not be to difficult (cost aside) to arrange a two or three train shuttle Brighton to Lewes given there is nothing else.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Will be a huge embarrassment for the club if the game doesn't go ahead on Boxing day. Had the opportunity before the fixtures came out and also in the first few days after to say we can't play at home on Boxing day. After the Millwall game I pretty sure there was a statement saying that in future the club would ensure that they had plans in place to play on Boxing day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here