Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Boxing Day Myth

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
One of them was undoubtedly [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]

Not me.

Which do you think more likely though? The club declare upfront that they can't fulfil the Boxing Day fixture and suffer six months ear-bashing from the League, or they declare that the Boxing Day fixture will go ahead while pinning get-out hopes on adverse weather conditions, TV rearrangement or other circumstances outside their control such as no viable transport solution. Trump card would be the safety officer saying the game can't go ahead due to, say, insufficient number of stewards due to lack of transport. Suppose at a pinch they could play the game behind closed doors. But I remain convinced the game won't go ahead, whatever the club are publicly stating. Would love to be proved wrong tho, used to love the Boxing Day double treat of morning session at the dogs (hare with its xmas hat on!) then down to the Goldstone for Boxing Day game. Weather was always crisp and bright and there was nothing finer to blow the Xmas day cobwebs away. :xmas:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
i thought the main issue is that the entire east bound line is shut, no trains to or through Falmer. so not so much a matter of opening a few stations on the Brighton mainline (which could remain shut, think thats beyond clubs responsibility), its a matter of lighting up the track from Brighton to Lewes.

on the other hand, it may not be to difficult (cost aside) to arrange a two or three train shuttle Brighton to Lewes given there is nothing else.

The problem is that if you run for example the usual main line service it calls at only Haywards Heath and then fast to Brighton and if you run a Brighton to Lewes service only most people do not live within those 2 stations catchment area and use another service to connect at Brighton or Lewes.

To run a train service beyond the usual main line Boxing Day timetable would cost the Albion a fortune and if they were willing to pay they may not be able to get enough staff willing to volunteer to work that day.

It would be nice if Paul Barber came out and said exactly what the transport situation will be on Boxing Day to give people enough time to make plans.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
First Great Western never run trains anywhere on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. This means I cannot get to London, let alone Brighton and all the Reading fans planning to come to Brighton may well be messed up as well, unless South West can get them to Clapham Junction.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
After the saga of 2012, I would like to think a plan of action has been worked out. There's been 18 months to plan for it.

Of course, another option that would have the club jumping in delight is if the game were to be moved to the next day for TV. That is a serious long shot though.

Serious long shot or agreement with Sky for lower fee?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Teams have got round this before. West Ham had to put up with district line being shut for a whole load of games, and they still managed to fill the ground.

In my case I may well just walk to the Amex for those coming further afield I'd imagine that driving would be the only option, for Albion fans there will always be the Seagulls travel coaches which seem to set off from everywhere in Sussex.

Getting to the game at the moment looks like a real pain, but it does not look impossible.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If it's commercially viable; i.e. about 8-12,000 passengers then surely they'd run trains?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not me.

Which do you think more likely though? The club declare upfront that they can't fulfil the Boxing Day fixture and suffer six months ear-bashing from the League, or they declare that the Boxing Day fixture will go ahead while pinning get-out hopes on adverse weather conditions, TV rearrangement or other circumstances outside their control such as no viable transport solution. Trump card would be the safety officer saying the game can't go ahead due to, say, insufficient number of stewards due to lack of transport. Suppose at a pinch they could play the game behind closed doors. But I remain convinced the game won't go ahead, whatever the club are publicly stating. Would love to be proved wrong tho, used to love the Boxing Day double treat of morning session at the dogs (hare with its xmas hat on!) then down to the Goldstone for Boxing Day game. Weather was always crisp and bright and there was nothing finer to blow the Xmas day cobwebs away. :xmas:

Get a pushbike.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
After the saga of 2012, I would like to think a plan of action has been worked out. There's been 18 months to plan for it.

Of course, another option that would have the club jumping in delight is if the game were to be moved to the next day for TV. That is a serious long shot though.

Reading are playing Norwich on the 28th, so that game would have to be rearranged as well unless they are prepared to play two games in two days.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
[used to love the Boxing Day double treat of morning session at the dogs (hare with its xmas hat on!) then down to the Goldstone for Boxing Day game. Weather was always crisp and bright and there was nothing finer to blow the Xmas day cobwebs away. :xmas:[/QUOTE]

What days they were, what Boxing Day was about

Dandyman

In London village.
Why can't the park and ride be adapted for Brighton/Lewes/Haywards Heath? The cost of paying triple money to drivers is likely to be far less than the revenue at Falmer.

Alternatively do a deal with the Universities to allow one off parking - there are unlikely to be any staff or students around.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whatever transport plan the club have, it is surely unlikely to involve the railway.

Cunning parking options, rickshaws, tuk tuks...

...but not the railway.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
There wont be trains at all.

Would have thought that at least 1 extra P&R would be opened (the Barracks on Lewes Road being one of those sites) and an extra car park available at the Uni. Normal buses will be heavily reduced too. Seagull Travel should run an enhanced service as well which will pick up on a lot of extra passengers. Attendance would be down by at least 6,000 anyway.

The game, however, will 100% be on Boxing Day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here