Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
G and Porte cracked pretty spectacularly. In fact G cracked a long time before, but Porte ended so far back, G caught him up again. Bad day at the office for Sky, but tough tough stage if you were a couple of riders down.

I'm getting the sense that the Sky team isn't very much of a team. Was that really the strongest 9 for the tour?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm getting the sense that the Sky team isn't very much of a team. Was that really the strongest 9 for the tour?

Not sure how many teams would do well after losing their leader early on and one of the most experienced domestiques around in Zandio. I think you might be a bit harsh there. How many other teams compete with a 2nd GC contender up their sleeves?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not sure how many teams would do well after losing their leader early on and one of the most experienced domestiques around in Zandio. I think you might be a bit harsh there. How many other teams compete with a 2nd GC contender up their sleeves?

True. And I agree with that. Perhaps the 'team' haven't bought into the idea of Porte being a credible Plan b. Although I think you're right - is there such a thing as a plan b in the TDF?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
True. And I agree with that. Perhaps the 'team' haven't bought into the idea of Porte being a credible Plan b. Although I think you're right - is there such a thing as a plan b in the TDF?

They can still be fully committed and behind Porte but just not having the legs. What they need to do now is concentrate on a stage win, perhaps throw everything behind G at some point.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I felt that Froome didn't get the protection that he should have done. Winning the tour is about many things, but it is essential that you are protected in the early stages. Froomes injury was sustained at a time when he should have been cruising. Its wrong to think that Porte could pick up where Froome left off, with a depleted team, it just doesn't work like that. Whats happened to Sky shows that there are 'san cadeaux' in the 'Tour'. Next year I think for Sky as its all gone for this year. I hear Brailsford talking about a Frenchman winning the tour so look out for some movement in thenext few months.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The telegraph boys were saying, after speaking to Dave B, the team was set up for Froome to be defended in yellow.
Not attacking and chasing a podium place.

Danny Pate and the Eastern European machine are in the team to defend a lead, not attack from the bunch.
The Basque fella is no super domestique.

I wish I'd written this earlier, but I didn't get round to it. (honest)
Porte doesn't generate any confidence when being interviewed.
All the talk of 'short punchy climbs not suiting Ritchie' from Dave B, always sounded like wishful thinking more than a statement of fact.

But with all that said, you only had to look at the cadence at around 3kms to know the tour is all but done.

Nibali looked super smooth, Leo was on a similar pattern but 'fighting' the bike, Raf was spinning around like a hamster in a cage.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I felt that Froome didn't get the protection that he should have done. Winning the tour is about many things, but it is essential that you are protected in the early stages. Froomes injury was sustained at a time when he should have been cruising. Its wrong to think that Porte could pick up where Froome left off, with a depleted team, it just doesn't work like that. Whats happened to Sky shows that there are 'san cadeaux' in the 'Tour'. Next year I think for Sky as its all gone for this year. I hear Brailsford talking about a Frenchman winning the tour so look out for some movement in thenext few months.

Bit harsh. Van garderen crashed from about 5th in the bunch and that was on a dry day. Unfortunately Froome is not a confident bike handler and there is only so much the rest of the team can do.

Next year won't have the same kind of start and no Cobbles. Froome will be back then and shooting it out with bertie and nibs.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Well, the tour is so much a team race. Was on my hols so only saw news footage, would ask the question where was the team when he came off. there has to be 100% from all. That extends to the DS and all back room staff. Remember how Yatesy sent Froome back to Wiggins, not sure II have seen that commitment this year. I'm not criticising just an observation on what I see. In reference to Froomes bike handling, I thought his skills were honed on the dirt tracks in Kenya. there s no Yates to back up Brailsford and this race is not on the track, Astana and Vino have made a very good calculation thus far.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, the tour is so much a team race. Was on my hols so only saw news footage, would ask the question where was the team when he came off. there has to be 100% from all. That extends to the DS and all back room staff. Remember how Yatesy sent Froome back to Wiggins, not sure II have seen that commitment this year. I'm not criticising just an observation on what I see. In reference to Froomes bike handling, I thought his skills were honed on the dirt tracks in Kenya. there s no Yates to back up Brailsford and this race is not on the track, Astana and Vino have made a very good calculation thus far.

When he came off the first time (the stage before he quit), his team were around him, I'm pretty sure he had 3 in front and a couple behind at the time. He got knocked off from by a wheel coming in from the side - nothing anyone could have done really. It was this first fall that led to his damaged wrist, later to be revelled as having been fractured. The next 2 falls the following day, it was wet and fast, he's got his hand in a splint, again not anything his team could have done. Not sure his bike handling skills are that much in question, just unlucky.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only thing missing from Astana is a sliver service butler.
The entire tour is being handed to them on a plate, even without a stellar ride on the cobbles.

Vino could have run this race on a mobile while lying on the beach sipping god knows what.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The only thing missing from Astana is a sliver service butler.
The entire tour is being handed to them on a plate, even without a stellar ride on the cobbles.

Vino could have run this race on a mobile while lying on the beach sipping god knows what.

They're not even that strong really but no other team has anything much compared.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 19, Stage 14: Grenoble - Risoul 177km

Distance: 177km

Category: High mountains

Highest point: 2,360m

stage_14_map_670.jpg

stage_14_profile_670.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ha ha ha that was brilliant, it looked like a 2 man break away, then both riders just stopped and one of them jumped in someone's camper van! I'm not even sure they've come back out yet - maybe having a cup of tea?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sod off then Netapp. Was hoping the peloton would let this break go for the day but Netapp have other ideas it seems.

Yep, you've guessed it, I have my favourite rider, Cyril Gautier, @ 100/1 today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ha ha ha that was brilliant, it looked like a 2 man break away, then both riders just stopped and one of them jumped in someone's camper van! I'm not even sure they've come back out yet - maybe having a cup of tea?

It was Arnaud Demare with a team mate to pace him back on once he's done. Seems it wasn't a family visit, á la Sean Yates when the race went through Forest Row all those years ago. Looks like the current French champion had to borrow a camper van loo for a number two, as he's being reported as having 'intestinal problems' now.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Good race. It is at this stage i am missing Contador and Froome as they would have made these mountain stages so much more and really given Nibili something to think about.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Great stage - two more days and those French lads can have another dig at Valverde, would love to see a podium with the young French guys their, Although TJ may hammer them all in the TT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here