Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The establishment and historic child sex abuse

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm not sure that being a tenant of the Duchy of Cornwall (which is a status held by thousands of people in South West England) is the same thing as "having a property bought for you by Prince Charles".

not all bishops though are they especially one that has just skipped off a serious charge with a slapped wrist...............oops was that a pun

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm not sure that being a tenant of the Duchy of Cornwall (which is a status held by thousands of people in South West England) is the same thing as "having a property bought for you by Prince Charles".

I think the point is that after his forced resignation for sex offences he was given a house to live in by the Prince of Wales. That, added to a 'member of the Royal family' sending a letter of support is big.
This case was sat on for years until a policeman found the file & insisted on it being re-opened (these being more enlightened times judicially, certainly for such issues)

Last edited:

I think the point is that after his forced resignation for sex offences he was given a house to live in by the Prince of Wales. That, added to a 'member of the Royal family' sending a letter of support is big.
This case was sat on for years until a policeman found the file & insisted on it being re-opened (these being more enlightened times judicially, certainly for such issues)

Indeed. But the time is just right for public opinion to shift in the direction of sympathy towards perpetrators whose guilt is far from proved. One thing that will help that shift would be a series of inaccurate rumours being debunked.

I strongly suspect that the "member of the royal family" in the Ball case will turn out to be someone other than Prince Charles. That could add to the debunking efforts of Panorama earlier this week and, before we know what's happened, we find ourselves being invited to dismiss a lot of the allegations as unfounded. And guess what? A string of celebrity paedophiles get off the hook.

Misinformation is clever, is it not? "Let's have some more of it" will be the game plan of a few supporters of some current suspects.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Indeed. But the time is just right for public opinion to shift in the direction of sympathy towards perpetrators whose guilt is far from proved. One thing that will help that shift would be a series of inaccurate rumours being debunked.

I strongly suspect that the "member of the royal family" in the Ball case will turn out to be someone other that Prince Charles. That could add to the debunking efforts of Panorama earlier this week and, before we know what's happened, we find ourselves being invited to dismiss a lot of the allegations as unfounded. And guess what? A string of celebrity paedophiles get off the hook.

Misinformation is clever, is it not? "Let's have some more of it" will be the game plan of a few supporters of some current suspects.

well it won't be Andrew will it
don't really care who it is shielding a bar steward like that is despicable.

and far from proved ?

It's undoubtedly the case that Peter Ball impressed many people with his apparent saintliness. I know that for a fact, since he spent some of his time leading his religious community from a cottage in Firle. He and his monks were highly thought of locally and no-one suspected what was going on. I am sure there are plenty of people who were prepared to give him the "benefit of the doubt" and I dare say a few of them were writing letters of support to their saintly acquaintance throughout the whole saga.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

I strongly suspect that the "member of the royal family" in the Ball case will turn out to be someone other than Prince Charles. That could add to the debunking efforts of Panorama earlier this week and, before we know what's happened, we find ourselves being invited to dismiss a lot of the allegations as unfounded. And guess what? A string of celebrity paedophiles get off the hook.

Sadly, I think you're right. I suspect there's a concerted campaign going on. Although I don't think it's designed to protect the 'celebrity' paedophiles...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

The problem is that the police leak the names of these people, they do it in the hope more people will come forward. The downside is that when no people come forward and they do not have enough evidence or the allegation is false,the case is dropped. How long is it since Cliff Richards name has been out there?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You have to question the establishment press' (especially The Times and The Mail) current desire to throw the baby out with the bathwater based on one case. (Brittan)

Operation Midland is still active, there are also currently 39 referrals to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (the majority referred by the police themselves) regarding a succession of police cover ups pertaining to child sexual abuse involving establishment figures. In addition to Cyril Smith (Liberal), Peter Morrison (Conservative), who it is already confirmed were predatory paedophiles and should have been stopped whilst alive, we have Lord Janner (Labour) awaiting trial on 22 charges from 9 separate accusers. That's not to mention the now accepted allegations against deceased members of the secret services and diplomatic core.

It is vitally important that the police be allowed to continue their investigations, unimpeded. The current vitriol against Tom Watson (whose intervention has directly led to the conviction of 3 former members of the Paedophile Information Exchange, lest we forget) is at best political opportunism and at worst borne of a desire to halt ongoing investigations and reduce the confidence of survivors in coming forward with what could be vital testimony. It's interesting that Zac Goldsmith MP, the Conservative candidate for the next London mayoral election or Caroline Lucas have not been targeted in the same way, despite asking many of the same questions.

With regards to the late Lord Brittan in particular, allegations of child sexual abuse relating to him had been reported in various guises since the early 80's including but not solely in Private Eye. Perhaps if they had been investigated at the time, the suspicion that dogged his final days could have been avoided.

If we don't want our politicians to pass allegations of child sexual abuse to the authorities for investigation, what exactly is it we do want them to do?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tom-watson-mp/tom-watson-leon-brittan_b_8268818.html?1444393349

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is an interesting schism developing between elements of the CPS/ Police and the establishment press and Government.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...d-says-cps?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

Met police had ALREADY interviewed Brittan before Watson passed his letter to them.

And why are the press still conflating 'child abuse claims' which are still being investigated under Operation Midland and this allegation of the rape of 19 year old woman in the 60's. They HAVE to know that they are doing it. Correct me if I'm wrong but a 19 year old woman has never been viewed as a minor in the eyes of the law..... They are deliberately confusing the issue and you have to ask yourself why.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Harvey Proctor now getting on Zac Goldsmith's case. I can't think for the life of me why they aren't just prepared to let the investigation run it's course. The ONLY person who put Harvey Proctor's name in the public domain was Harvey Proctor.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...urged-to-withdraw-paedophile-ring-allegations

I see Brittan's brother is misrepresenting again.

"Sir Samuel Brittan, the brother of the late former home secretary, said it would be “helpful” if Goldsmith clarified his statements by confirming that Brittan was innocent of all charges."

Brittan is still under investigation by Operation Midland. The Met simply confirmed that there was no evidence to link him to the rape of a 19 year old woman in the 1960's.

The pressure being put on the people prepared to stick their necks out is sickening.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Harvey Proctor now getting on Zac Goldsmith's case. I can't think for the life of me why they aren't just prepared to let the investigation run it's course. The ONLY person who put Harvey Proctor's name in the public domain was Harvey Proctor.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...urged-to-withdraw-paedophile-ring-allegations

I see Brittan's brother is misrepresenting again.

"Sir Samuel Brittan, the brother of the late former home secretary, said it would be “helpful” if Goldsmith clarified his statements by confirming that Brittan was innocent of all charges."

Brittan is still under investigation by Operation Midland. The Met simply confirmed that there was no evidence to link him to the rape of a 19 year old woman in the 1960's.

The pressure being put on the people prepared to stick their necks out is sickening.

How would Goldsmith know that Brittan is/was innocent of all charges and , therefore, how could he confirm same?

Think you're right, there seems to be a campaign at a very high level to discredit the whole process in the hope that it comes to nothing. Just hope the kiwi judges sees through this.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
How would Goldsmith know that Brittan is/was innocent of all charges and , therefore, how could he confirm same?

Think you're right, there seems to be a campaign at a very high level to discredit the whole process in the hope that it comes to nothing. Just hope the kiwi judges sees through this.

while also making Tom Watson look as though he know nothing, although he has been stoic throughout and lets hope he sticks with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here