Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Country Pubs

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The Star i still a nice old traditional English country pub, as you say, nice beer,food and beer garden.
Maybe I am biased, but we are blessed with some great country pubs in this area.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The first truly country pub I visited after coming to Sussex in 1979 was the 'The Star' in Old Heathfield. Haven't been there for a couple of years but always was outstandingly good for food and beer not to mention a fantastic garden.

I had dinner there a couple of weeks ago.
The food was excellent, as was the service, and the garden is still fantastic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's a couple if you're out and about :

-Royal Oak at Twineham. Proper old country pub (they don't even have an electric till) with great food, and a smashing garden to sit in. Some lovely offroad footpaths if you fancy a walk before or after too. Landlord is ace.

-Half Moon at Plumpton. Quite upmarket food but bloody lovely and great setting at the foot of the Downs. Lovely garden too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tried to eat at the J&J a few weeks ago, grumpy landlord said it would 'be a while'. We weren't wearing green clothes and carrying trekking poles or rucksacks, or arrived in Mercs...............

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
The Blue Ship in The Haven, nr Rudgwick. Beer drawn direct from barrels racked up behind the bar and served through a hatch, a real gem of a place. Food's good too.

I'm there next weekend, not been before so thanks for the heads up

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Was Sussex-based for a holiday for 4 weeks between mid-July & mid-August this year.
Whilst in the UK, we visited a country pub almost everyday - a lot of them in Sussex.

Here's my Top 5 for 2014.

Ginger Fox, Albourne - Excellent food, fantastic relaxed service, beautiful garden setting.
Horse Guards Inn, Tillington - Superb food , good service in a quirky garden setting.
Half Moon, Warninglid - Lovely food wth superb service. Try and score a table inside by the sunken glass Well.
Old Oak Inn, Arlington - Fantastic outdoor beer garden which also has a dinning terrace. Inside the pub is lovely too. Food is good, service a bit manic.
The Bull, Ditchling - Charm central inside this quaint pub. Grab a table near the bar, quality food & service.

This list certainly isn't definitive. Never got round to visiting my all time fave, The Griffin at Fletching
plus that Royal Oak at Twineham probably does one of the best Sunday roasts, can be hard to score a spot in the bar though.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The first truly country pub I visited after coming to Sussex in 1979 was the 'The Star' in Old Heathfield. Haven't been there for a couple of years but always was outstandingly good for food and beer not to mention a fantastic garden.

Refused to use it for the last 10 years when, having ordered a pint, was told the kitchen was closed and we couldn't have anything to eat. Then 2 of the landlady's regulars turned up; they were taken to the other bar and the kitchen was opened for them! My wife took me out kicking and screaming - I was lived.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Bull in Ditchling is probably the worst country pub I can think of

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Anchor at Barcombe has possibly the loveliest setting for a summer's evening, and quite possibly served up the worst pub meal I have had since moving to Sussex 25 years ago. The meal was right out of the 70s. Cheap frozen chips, scrawny, tasteless slices of ham and a couple of overcooked eggs with 'salad garnish'.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The Black Rabbit (Arundel).. a fav

The George and Dragon (Houghton)

Nice thread. I will have to visit a few of these pubs.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
One of my favourite pubs from my cricket days was the Brickmakers Arms at Ridgewood. Tea was taken in the pub followed by a lengthy post match session often with a lock in. Ridgewood were a great bunch of characters, including the legendary Guy Cogger. Always my favourite Sunday match of the season.

That was my local for about ten years, in fact I used to shoot with Guy's son Mark. (Cricket wise I continued to play for my old village Hartfield which used the very acceptable Anchor Inn as it's boozer of choice)

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
The Salehurst Halt, always a good choice of beers and excellent food. Often fully booked for food in the evenings.
The Half Moon at Cade Street. Good choice of beers and excellent food. Just up the road from the Star in Old Heathfield and better IMO. Fantastic views from the garden.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here