These are the chains
Nothing can break.

There'll always be an England
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hand shandies. Didn't we invent the five knuckle shuffle? I tell you one thing - whoever did invent the hand shandy, well I'd like to shake his hand!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Much prefer the word love. E.g. I love British music.

Always find people who have a lot of pride some of the worst.

I tend to agree with this. Love and enthusiasm are much better. In the same way that proud people can be the worst, I find people who have a lot of love and enthusiasm for something brilliant.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Led the industrial revolution of the 18th and 19th century.
Abolished slavery.
We have the mother of all parliaments.
We generally stand up for what is right
We tend not to throw ourselves at the ground when touched on a football pitch
We like to win the correct way rather than at all costs.
We found the enigma code machine, not the Americans.
Dambusters
We have some of the best film technicians in the world
We don't have any wild life that would like to make us their lunch.
David Attenborough
The BBC
The FA Cup

This, apart from the Enigma thingy.
I particularly prefer living in countries where youre not on the wildlifes menu board.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Women who shave under their arms…

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What does that actually mean? Most middle class people I meet, seem quite pleased with themselves.

Oh, they're pleased with themselves, it's their national identity that a certain type love to tell you they are embarrassed about or that being English means being generally crappier than any and every other country.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Britain, and England have things to be proud of, and things to be not so proud of....same as every country... but, to be honest...ive never come across these 'self loathing' middle class people....its a good sound bite for some right wingers (not directed at you, but these people are the people who seem to use the expression, often)...but, apart from hearing them go on about that...I just have never actually seen any credible evidence of it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Britain, and England have things to be proud of, and things to be not so proud of....same as every country... but, to be honest...ive never come across these 'self loathing' middle class people....its a good sound bite for some right wingers (not directed at you, but these people are the people who seem to use the expression, often)...but, apart from hearing them go on about that...I just have never actually seen any credible evidence of it.

Post #13 is a good place to start. Even now when English people are at the forefront of almost every field of human endeavour, someone can't find a SINGLE reason to be proud of his own countrymen or nation.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Post #13 is a good place to start. Even now when English people are at the forefront of almost every field of human endeavour, someone can't find a SINGLE reason to be proud of his own countrymen or nation.

Doesnt sound that bad actually...does it?...seems an honest answer... maybe younger people have seen noithing lately to be proud of..if he is younger of course....still...but how do you know he is 'middle class'?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Doesnt sound that bad actually...does it?...seems an honest answer... maybe younger people have seen noithing lately to be proud of..if he is younger of course....still...but how do you know he is 'middle class'?

It's a lazy stereotype. A bit like saying that being English embarrasses you.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Nothing to be honest. Why? Just look at what this country has become. And as [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] put. personally I am embarrassed to be English/British.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst not perfect the judiciary service/act is up there I think. It is easy to knock it but try comparing it to other countries.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Fair to say that we helped to take it global but my understanding was that slavery was rife in Africa long before we came along. Warring tribes would make slaves of those they defeated.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are. If, as I am guessing, you are referring the remake of Reggie Perrin then I would agree but the poster was, I believe, referring to the original with the late Leonard Rossiter. Apologies if you are in fact referring to the original and if you are, then it is just a difference of opinion.

Read in a rush, apologies.

Can I add 'tolerance' to the list?

I'm in my 40s and I assumed he was talking about Rossiter, who I found deeply unfunny.

I guess tastes are different and some people might find him and the series amusing.

But to lump it in with the likes of Hancock, Fawlty Towers and Dads Army is doing those all time classic programmes a disservice imo

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
g5sdKFr.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here