NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rooney.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep 'Zidane' never ever did anything crazy is a massively big game!

Zidane won the world cup, scored in the final, and was arguably the best player in the world.

What's Rooney done that makes you think Zidane was a good player to compare him to? Rooney is ALWAYS ordinary at big game level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Try actually reading the thread, I did not compare Zidane to Rooney, Zidane was brought up by someone else

I did.

One person said he didn't remember Zidane crumpling in big games unlike Rooney, and you replied sarcastically siting the ONE time that he did.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I did.

One person said he didn't remember Zidane crumpling in big games unlike Rooney, and you replied sarcastically siting the ONE time that he did.

Zidane was brought into the conversation as an example of player who never 'crumpled' at the 'big game' that is clearly not true and the point I was making. I never compared Rooney with Zidane I just thought it was a strange choice of person when you are making that particular point, Herr Tubthumper even agreed with that by saying 'fair point'.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Its quite telling that Rooney can't get into the England team in his preferred position. How many of these superstar footballers, earning at least £100k+ can't get a game for their country in their best position? It's not exactly a position we have a lot of depth in either.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Every major competition Rooney has not delivered, i fear this one will be the same. Rooney is nowhere near the class of Zidane, not in the same league.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Even if he was as good as many of our pundits like to think it would be nice to think Roy had the balls to drop a great player because the team worked better without him. Think Jimmy Greaves in 1966 (OK initially lost starting spot due to injury).
We still don't have the players to really play a possession game so will need the players to do a lot of running and pressing (with the odd attempt at slowing the game down and having a breather). I am expecting 2 highly indifferent performances the first two games and then something ballsy in selection for the third game when we are pretty much out of it. Maybe 4231, Henderson Wilshire, Sterling Barkley Llallana, Lambert.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Certainly seems to have lost that spark that marked his earlier career. Not sure I would be able to keep my enthusiasm up when getting 300k per week however I played.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"The big man is back in town"

I think I can put the start of my dislike down to this World Cup quote.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
His goal record speaks for him though. While he may not be THE best player in the world he does much more than score goals. He only needs 2 goals to catch Owen and if he scores 3 becomes Englands's 4th highest scorer behind Charlton, Lineker and Greaves. Not bad for a fat useless bald slow * insert your own insult now.
Thing is with Rooney he could be the best player in an England shirt and a lot of fans would still say he is past his best, not world class, waste of space ect. You have to have a lots of Balls not to start Rooney with the knowledge he will always give his all, likely to score and is very often one of our best players even when not on form.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013

very informative and interesting
and he does have some real competition for the playmaking position
sterling (played very well at top of diamond for Liverpool)
lallana Barkley and oxlade
maybe his best role in the World Cup is sub for Sturridge
it is going to be a14 player game in the conditions
but I do not think there is any chance he will be dropped from
the starting 11

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Amen to that, easy target.

He would still b nailed on in my 11 to start.
And should be given the armband after the World Cup

I don't think he should be dropped, but how many of those international goals have been against decent sides?

Sturridge reminds me so much of Defoe in that he would rather take on a difficult shot than pass to an open team mate

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't think he should be dropped, but how many of those international goals have been against decent sides?

Sturridge reminds me so much of Defoe in that he would rather take on a difficult shot than pass to an open team mate

28 goals in 47 WC Qualifying, Europen Qualifying and European Finals. That says it all for me.

Sadly he has never been fit at the World Cups

When i see Rooney play for England its Like watching Leo play for us. We just dont create enough chances for him, In my opinion its a miracle his goal tally is as good as it is.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Which England player/s are world class?

Depends what you define as 'world class' I guess, a few years ago we had a few, prime Ashley Cole & John Terry were world class for me, I still think Gerrard is too although perhaps not as good for England. Right now though I guess there's not many seen as we have a lot of young players in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here