Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D-Day book recommendations please

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Not read it yet, but I'm sure Anthony Beevor's book will be worthwhile. His books on Stalingrad and Berlin we're absolutely superb

Totally agree. Berlin is perhaps the best book I have ever read on the subject of WWII

I've been a regular viewer on here for a while-but when I saw this thread, felt the need to write my first post! I can recommend a book called 'The Devil's Own Luck' by Denis Edwards. Published by Pen & Sword and recently available on e-books too. It's the story of a 19year old sniper who was in the first glider to land at Pegasus Bridge just after midnight on 6th June. Against all orders he kept a diary of all the heroic events over the following weeks. After nearly 50 years of publisher rejections, he finally got his diary published in 1999.

How do I know this? I'm very proud to say that he was my late father, a keen Albion supporter through the late 60's to the early 90's,
and a regular at the Goldstone. I guess I'm biased, but think you'll find this a fascinating read!

Just finished reading it and basically "what she says" above! Have a read a few books over the summer coveringing the "big picture" of D-Day but this is by someone who was involved in one the best known operations of the war, the taking of Pegasis Bridge, and his diary takes us through Normandy and on into Germany and final victory. An excellent read.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I strongly recommend the Ben MacIntyre books. They're all about the spies and mechanics behind the D-Day landings, fascinating and very funny in parts.

Just read "Zig Zag" by him - if had been fiction it would have been thought far fetched, but this guy actually existed and surprisingly lived to a ripe old age despite his many "scrapes" and a life lived with a general disregard for the law. His "Double Cross" book is excellent, and on a similar theme Joshua Levine's "Operation Fortitude".

If you want someting covering the bigger picture then "Churchill's Wizards" - The British Genius For Deception 1914-45 is very readable. For a nation allegedly with a sense of fair play the British were very good at "not cheating fairly" as my old Grandad used to say.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Just read "Zig Zag" by him - if had been fiction it would have been thought far fetched, but this guy actually existed and surprisingly lived to a ripe old age despite his many "scrapes" and a life lived with a general disregard for the law. His "Double Cross" book is excellent, and on a similar theme Joshua Levine's "Operation Fortitude".

If you want someting covering the bigger picture then "Churchill's Wizards" - The British Genius For Deception 1914-45 is very readable. For a nation allegedly with a sense of fair play the British were very good at "not cheating fairly" as my old Grandad used to say.

Those are the two i've read. His new one about the Kim Philby affair is supposed to be very good, and his programme about it was excellent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here