Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£50 to cancel your season ticket !!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My view as well however I am sure by signing up to direct debit you are also locked in a contract.

All the reasons why I pay in full with an interest-free credit card so I can dictate the terms I pay it off and avoid a financial penalty.

What happens if you cancelled half way through the season? Would you get a pro rata refund less the £50?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If there wasn't a penalty, some would sign up for a season, at a discounted monthly price, even if they knew they were going to cancel, say, at Xmas or Easter - or if we hit poor form.

There HAS to be a penalty. Everyone knows that, really. It's just that no-one wants to pay it. *shrugs*

I personally don't think it is. You committed yourself to a season ticket like many others and the club has budgeted for it. I agree with the poster in that you should have kept it and sold it on to friends etc until it expired.
I should pay £50 fee for a ticket that costs over £400 and one that costs around £50...good sense of fairness.

I take the point about reading t&cs

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm fully on the clubs side with this, you entered into a contract, the penalty for not completing the contract no matter the circumstances is a £50 charge

If there wasn't a penalty, some would sign up for a season, at a discounted monthly price, even if they knew they were going to cancel, say, at Xmas or Easter - or if we hit poor form.

There HAS to be a penalty. Everyone knows that, really. It's just that no-one wants to pay it. *shrugs*

Actually under contract law the club ( or any business ) can't charge a penalty. They are only allowed to charge what it would take to get them back to the position if you hadn't broken the contract, That said in this case it would be considerably more than £50 - it would be the whole cost of the season ticket. Still think £50 is a piss take though - especially on a kids ST.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Actually under contract law the club ( or any business ) can't charge a penalty. They are only allowed to charge what it would take to get them back to the position if you hadn't broken the contract, That said in this case it would be considerably more than £50 - it would be the whole cost of the season ticket. Still think £50 is a piss take though - especially on a kids ST.

Try cancelling your mobile phone or broadband contract and you will find that they would still charge the length of the contract. People have to understand that the enter into a contract and yes circumstances change, but this is a loan by the club and to honest I think you are very lucky to get away with paying only £50 and yet people still moan.
I think the club should change their stance and if you sign up then you pay the full amount even if you cancel midway through. Surely they must budget in the sale of season tickets at the start of the season.

Last edited:

Aug 4, 2011
If you just cancel it with the bank 2 things will happen- your credit rating will show a default as you have stopped paying a direct debit agreement and depending on other factors could effect you in different ways regarding finance and credit. Then the big problem... When you try and get another season ticket or direct debit with the club I would imagine you will be rejected on the grounds you failed to pay last time. That said I agree £50 is a bit excessive taking into consideration the situation but I would recommend you take it up with the club and I am sure they will come to a agreement.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The direct debit scheme is there to make it easier to for people to pay for a season ticket, not to allow people to change their mind.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
£50 seems reasonable to me. They have to re sell it now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Hold on a minute, are you saying you're sons season ticket costs £50 for the season you then cancelled it and you were charged a further £50? Why didn't you say, sorry changed my mind and kept the ticket never used it and save yourself a £50 charge?:doh:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
If you just cancel it with the bank 2 things will happen- your credit rating will show a default as you have stopped paying a direct debit agreement and depending on other factors could effect you in different ways regarding finance and credit. Then the big problem... When you try and get another season ticket or direct debit with the club I would imagine you will be rejected on the grounds you failed to pay last time. That said I agree £50 is a bit excessive taking into consideration the situation but I would recommend you take it up with the club and I am sure they will come to a agreement.

Unless the agreement you sign up to is a credit agreement backed by all the appropriate safe guards and acts of Parliament then it won't affect your credit record. I haven't seen the season ticket agreement but I doubt it's a credit agreement rather it will just be a contract.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Unless the agreement you sign up to is a credit agreement backed by all the appropriate safe guards and acts of Parliament then it won't affect your credit record. I haven't seen the season ticket agreement but I doubt it's a credit agreement rather it will just be a contract.

Sorry but you are wrong
Look at any direct debit contract and you will find something along the lines.
You can cancel a direct debit at any time. However, make sure you inform the person or company that receives the payment before you do, as you could incur fees or penalties for non-payment of a bill.

This could even go onto your credit file and affect your credit rating if you don't pay a bill in a certain time frame.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Amazing how little responsibility people think they have around credit, money, finance etc. No wonder these pay day loan companies rake it in. Madness

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Sorry but you are wrong
Look at any direct debit contract and you will find something along the lines.
You can cancel a direct debit at any time. However, make sure you inform the person or company that receives the payment before you do, as you could incur fees or penalties for non-payment of a bill.

This could even go onto your credit file and affect your credit rating if you don't pay a bill in a certain time frame.

Being the operative word. And unless it's a credit agreement it can't. The DD contract covers both normal contracts and those that are credit agreements - it's a catch all statement. The ST contract may well be a credit agreement - I've not seen one - but if it is then the club have to adhere to all manner of FCA regulations and hold a credit license. They also have to offer a cooling off period after you've signed.

EDIT - a ST contract might well be a credit agreement as BHA hold a credit license according to the FCA. It will all depend on the wording.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's what we have signed up to if on DD scheme. It's pretty clear.

Direct Debit Terms & Conditions

1. The issue and use of a Smartcard Season Ticket is conditional upon the Ticket Holder’s payment of the Season Ticket Fee in cleared funds in advance or subject to the provisions of paragraph 2.

2. Where a Direct Debit Ticket Holder elects to pay by Season Ticket Monthly Payments, the Season Ticket Fee shall be due and payable in 12 equal instalments monthly in advance during the Season. The Direct Debit Ticket Holder is required to make such instalment payments in the first 2 months (i.e. in June and July) of the relevant Season and with effect from the third month (i.e. August) of that Season, on each occasion that the Club successfully debits the nominated Bank Account, the Direct Debit Ticket Holder will obtain the right to attend Matches for the period between the due date of the Club’s last received instalment payment and the date when the next instalment falls due, subject to the provisions of paragraph 4. Completion of a Direct Debit instruction shall be confirmation of the Direct Debit Ticket Holder (or the person making payment on behalf of the Direct Debit Ticket Holder) has elected to make payment by Direct Debit subject to these Terms and Conditions.

3. In the event that the payment of a Smartcard Season Ticket is by way of Direct Debit, the Direct Debit Ticket Holder must keep the Club informed of any changes to the bank account or payment card details provided when the Direct Debit was signed. If the Club attempts to use these details and a card or payment is declined: (i) the Direct Debit Ticket Holder's Smartcard shall be deactivated and the Stadium Access System will not permit the Direct Debit Ticket Holder entry to any Matches until the Club receives the relevant instalment payment(s) in full, or to purchase tickets on a match-by-match basis; and (ii) the Ticket Holder will be liable to pay a £10 administration charge, plus any resulting bank or other reasonable administrative charge or expense incurred or imposed by the Club.

4. If two or more Direct Debit payments have not been received by the Club for any reason, the Club may at its option: (i) suspend the use of the Direct Debit Ticket Holder’s Smartcard Season Ticket and all associated benefits (save for e-cash) for a period of time until all outstanding payments are paid in full; (ii) cancel of the Direct Debit Ticket Holder's Smartcard Season Ticket, following which the Ticket Holder's Smartcard Season Ticket shall be deactivated and the Stadium Access System will automatically deny the Ticket Holder entry to the Matches and recover any instalments due to the Club up to the date of such cancellation; and/or recover arrears or outstanding payments due to the Club from any e-cash alternative to that Ticket Holder. The Direct Debit Ticket Holder has a right of appeal against any such suspension and/or cancellation in accordance with paragraph 5.

5. If a Ticket Holder's Smartcard Season Ticket is suspended or cancelled in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 4, the Ticket Holder shall be entitled to appeal to the Club's management against the suspension or cancellation (as appropriate), within a period of twelve (12) months from the date of cancellation. Appeals should: (i) be in writing; (ii) be marked for the attention of "Ticket Office Manager"; and (iii) set out the reasons for the appeal and why the Ticket Holder believes their Smartcard Season Ticket should be reinstated. The Club shall respond to the appeal in writing setting out its decision. The Club’s decision shall be final.

6. Unless the Direct Debit Ticket Holder has indicated otherwise when purchasing its Smartcard Season Ticket, the Direct Debit Ticket Holder paying for their Smartcard Season Ticket by way of Direct Debit agrees to automatically renew his/her Smartcard Season Ticket for subsequent Seasons until the Direct Debit Ticket Holder gives notice in writing to the Club terminate such arrangement in accordance with paragraph 7.

7. The Club shall notify the Ticket Holder of any changes to the Season Ticket Monthly Payments for the following Season not later than two (2) weeks following the date of publication of any change in the Season Ticket Fee for that Season. If the Direct Debit Ticket Holder wishes to cancel the renewal of the Smartcard Season Ticket, the Direct Debit Ticket Holder shall give notice in writing to the Club as soon as possible after the Club announces the revised monthly direct debit amounts (and in any event within one (1) month following the date of notice of the revised Season Ticket Monthly Payments for the following Season by the Club under this paragraph 35), so that the Club may cancel the Season Ticket. In the event that payment is taken by direct debit from a Direct Debit Ticket Holder prior to the date of the Club receiving notice from the Direct Debit Ticket Holder that they wish to cancel the automatic renewal of their Smartcard Season Ticket under this paragraph 35, then provided the Club receives such written notice from the Direct Debit Ticket Holder within one (1) month from the date of notification by the Club of the revised Season Ticket Monthly Payments then the Club will provide a refund of any such direct debit monies received from the Direct Debit Ticket Holder. If no such notice is received by the Club, the Club shall be authorised to continue to take Direct Debit payments for the payment of the Season Ticket Monthly Payments for the new Season and the Direct Debit Ticket Holder’s Smartcard will be activated for the new Season on receipt of the first Season Ticket Monthly Payment of the new Season and any cancellation that that Direct Debit Ticket Holder wishes to make of the Smartcard Season Ticket shall be under paragraph 8.

8. Smartcard Season Tickets are non-refundable and any refund shall be entirely at the discretion of the Club and will be considered only in exceptional circumstances. Refund values will be calculated on a pro-rata basis based on the number of Matches remaining in the Season and may be subject to a cancellation fee to cover the administration costs incurred by the Club in processing such a refund. The current cancellation fee is £50. Any refunded monies due will be paid as Club e-cash. For Direct Debit Ticket Holders wishing to cancel Season Ticket Smartcards after the deadline of 13 March 2014 but before 1 August 2014 the following fees apply

£10 cancellation fee for cancellation between 14 March 2014 and 14 April 2014, with any refund balance paid to club e-cash.
£50 cancellation fee for cancellation between 15 April 2014 and 1 August 2014, with any refund balance paid to club e-cash.
From 2 August onwards Direct Debit Ticket Holders are committed to pay the full value of the season ticket through monthly direct debits and refunds will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.

9. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions gives any guarantee that a Ticket Holder will be entitled to renew their Season Ticket or purchase a Season Ticket in any subsequent Season.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Unless there's other paperwork that accompanies that agreement it isn't a credit agreement and so can't affect your credit record if you cancel the DD. It's simply a contract.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless there's other paperwork that accompanies that agreement it isn't a credit agreement and so can't affect your credit record if you cancel the DD. It's simply a contract.

Agreed. The only way it could affect your credit is I think if the club pursued you in the courts for breaching the contract (basically chasing you for the unpaid amount of the ST) and obtained judgement against you resulting in a CCJ being registered. Highly unlikely they'd do that, particularly if circumstances are explained to them because of the costs involved.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Agreed. The only way it could affect your credit is I think if the club pursued you in the courts for breaching the contract (basically chasing you for the unpaid amount of the ST) and obtained judgement against you resulting in a CCJ being registered. Highly unlikely they'd do that, particularly if circumstances are explained to them because of the costs involved.

Spot on. Add in that if the club won in court you would have 28 days to pay to avoid CCJ.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here