Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Political Correctness Gone Mad"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
For me, it's not political correctness because she is expressing a personal opinion rather than desiring a change in how society as a whole refers to or behaves towards a certain section of that society. As I see it, the very core of political correctness in the eyes of those who like to invoke it is that is something that is foisted on others rather than a personal opinion expressed on an individual level. I could be wrong though .

Ah this threads another cheap attempt by the left to portray PC as just being about manners and the whiners being the people who moan you cant call blacks niggers any more. If it was that simple there would be little debate. but if you cut through the leftwing subtafuge, straw man arguments and ad hominem arguments you can get the form of PC that most people object to.

Its the type that originates from the frankfurt school and is more extreme left than centre, to put it in points.

1. holding different people to different standards. The way the left gets worked up about bigotry aimed at muslims, but when islamic bigotry arises then form the left at best silence decends, at worst point 2.

2. The quick revesion to bludgeon terminology, the phobias the isms, the deniers etc.

All rubber stamped by our idiot moderators who would be quick to remove a far right rant about pakis poofs etc, but do nothing when no marks start hurling racism or homophobia allegations about(setting aside their libelous nature)

Then in the ultimate of slapstick irony they guffaw how debates desend into binfests, not being able to grasp that its the same thing as someone stirring it up by calling people niggers or poofs. Is just come from the different end of the political spectrum.

PCGM? blame Hitony and co.:annoyed::)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ah this threads another cheap attempt by the left to portray PC as just being about manners and the whiners being the people who moan you cant call blacks niggers any more.

Yes you can, and I'll happily drive you to Moss Side and let you do it.

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
not really. it may have been once, when all political correctness was about were getting rid of such language and casual offense. but PC have moved on to cover areas beyond simple language, into the realms of policy and diktats that tell you can cant do something in case it might offend someone, even if there is no inherent offense.

how about when you are behind the times on what is and isnt acceptable? i have used the term recently myself when a college described someone as "half caste". they were puzzled what the problem was, they hadn't got the memo its not a "correct" term any more. they are Asian, which illustrates the point rather well.

Political correctness was some pathetic individual from Liverpool last night desperately assuring us that Eric Morecambe and Ernie wise were not in a homosexual relationship just because they used to share a bed in some of their most famous sketches. Pathetic. End of. The BBC - end of - soon please.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
"Oooh I can't wait to watch Jim'll Fix It on Saturday Night, then rush down to renew my TV licence and get a Rolf Harris colouring book"...what?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I see 'PCGM' as 'people taking offence on behalf of other people, without waiting to see whether the other people actually are offended or not'. Like those people who thought black people would be offended by the existence of the Robertson's golliwog.
The other side of it is people not understanding that just because some black people call each other "nigga", it's not generally acceptable (outside a UKIP meeting at least) for the rest of us to call them it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Haha! You of all people making jokes about mental illness on a thread about political correctness. Is that what you would call post-modern irony?

This really is the next big fertile ground for political correctness. Incidentally it should be Political Correctness Gone Irrational PCGI. To use the word mad in this context is offensive to those who suffer from a broad spectrum of serious mental health issues. This trivialises a serious debilitating and sometimes life threatening condition.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This really is the next big fertile ground for political correctness. Incidentally it should be Political Correctness Gone Irrational PCGI. To use the word mad in this context is offensive to those who suffer from a broad spectrum of serious mental health issues. This trivialises a serious debilitating and sometimes life threatening condition.

So it's " of King George" is it (Or was it?)

I can't see a band really doing well under that label either :The Serious Debilitating and Sometimes Life Threatening Condition.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Years ago me and Mrs SS went to an ex-friend's child's christening. The parents both worked in local government and were both massive on PC. For example, when singing nursery rhymes to their little one, key words would be changed to ensure PC. For example:
"Baa-baa black sheep" became "Baa-baa nice sheep" and "one for the little boy who lived down the lane" became "one for the little child who lived down the lane" - there were many, many others, but you get the gist.

Anyway, I was talking to the husband in the kitchen after the service and he mentioned he'd had a flood in the garden with "water spewing out of the man-hole cover". He then realised he'd broken the PC rule [referring to something in the masculine] and stuttered out the most ridiculous recovery: "err, umm, person-hole cover".

I had to laugh and put him at ease by reassuring him he was right first time calling it a man-hole cover as it was very unlikely a woman would ever go down there!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Years ago me and Mrs SS went to an ex-friend's child's christening. The parents both worked in local government and were both massive on PC. For example, when singing nursery rhymes to their little one, key words would be changed to ensure PC. For example:
"Baa-baa black sheep" became "Baa-baa nice sheep" and "one for the little boy who lived down the lane" became "one for the little child who lived down the lane" - there were many, many others, but you get the gist.

Anyway, I was talking to the husband in the kitchen after the service and he mentioned he'd had a flood in the garden with "water spewing out of the man-hole cover". He then realised he'd broken the PC rule [referring to something in the masculine] and stuttered out the most ridiculous recovery: "err, umm, person-hole cover".

I had to laugh and put him at ease by reassuring him he was right first time calling it a man-hole cover as it was very unlikely a woman would ever go down there!

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly piece where talks about the whole person hole cover thing. He said something like this:

"Until women express an overwhelming desire to crawl into a whole full of other people's shit I'll stick with man-hole cover thanks" Hahah!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How does PC work in countries who speak languages where they assign gender to objects? Le chien, la chat.... or do the French not worry about such things?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

I had a "full and frank exchange of views" with a vertically, geometrically, intellectually and facially challenged female gendered person[1] once for my use of the word "chairman" to describe a chairman at a union conference. My defence was that he was a man.

[1] short, fat, stupid, ugly woman

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Are you sure this is not an urban myth?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There was fact-checking research done by some academics, possibly the Glasgow Media Group, into the tabloid stories about political correctness / loony left in the 1980s. They found there was very little in the way of truth in them. Most were outright fabrications. Interestingly , what they did find was that many people started to adopt new practices because of what was reported e.g. Nursery workers changing the words to baa-baa black sheep because of misleading reporting they'd read in a tabloid.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst on the subject of research I came upon this today. PHYSICAL exertion and lack of sleep are to blame for Britain’s racism epidemic, according to a new study.

Medical researchers tested 200 people and found that those who had less than six hours sleep, or had been carrying heavy bags, were 80 per cent more likely to despise someone because of their ethnicity.

Dr Julian Cook said: “For example, Nigel Farage would not believe all Romanians are thieves if he just spent an extra 90 minutes a day sitting or lying down.”

Dr Cook also revealed that racism peaks during late spring and summer as antihistamines cause some hay fever sufferers to become drowsy and filled with ethnic hatred.

He added: “I would not be remotely surprised if Nigel Farage was allergic to pollen.”

The researchers found that physical tiredness releases a ‘brain chemical’ which creates a rush of hormones, resulting in horrible interviews, bizarre social media postings and angry leaflets being handed out in shopping centres.

Last year, documents revealed the Ku Klux Klan was founded as a birdwatching society but became racist after the members stayed up all night taking about geese.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely Felix! One of the greatest films of all time IMO, especially Catholic High School Girls in Trouble, which I won't show the clip from for obvious reasons.

The choirboys was damn funny as well, about Boston cops, about that time..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here