Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Xbox advice sought

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Mine isn't, it's excellent. Quiet as a dead mouse, stays cool, does what it's supposed to, and will get better an MS update the software.

lucky :(

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
We already have an N64 from my Yoof (he loves F1 on that) and a Wii but he is absolutely desperate to play Minecraft on a console- he watches Stampy Youtube vids quite a lot!

I will keep an eye out - please feel free to post if you see an offer.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Am I likely to find anything in a charity shop???

no, but game will have lots of used ones for sale usually in a 'bundle', so you'll get extra games etc and you get a years warranty with a used console from them too i think

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
What was wrong with yours? I bought 3, sold 2 (long story) and none have had problems.

the console itself is fine i guess, fifa 14 is full of glitches, i cant get to grips with the controller. The bumper buttons are a pain in the arse! I dunno, its just when you wait for something for this long its always gonna be a dissapointment i guess. As far as i'm concerened the N64 was the best console in the world ever and the new ones dont seem able to capture the same sense of joy or game immersion. I'm getting very close to putting down to age :(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the console itself is fine i guess, fifa 14 is full of glitches, i cant get to grips with the controller. The bumper buttons are a pain in the arse! I dunno, its just when you wait for something for this long its always gonna be a dissapointment i guess.
I take it you had other consoles when they came out? There are always teething issue. The bumper buttons are a weird one - I've never felt a problem with them in use, but when looking at them specifically, they're odd. I think you need to use them differently - with the middle of your finger, not the tip. I presume the problem with FIFA 14 is an EA one, not specific to the Xbox? There are plenty of bugs with BF4, but I still like it.

As far as i'm concerened the N64 was the best console in the world ever and the new ones dont seem able to capture the same sense of joy or game immersion.
lol. How old were you? Everything was much simpler back then. The amount of code for one of those games was tiny compared to now, there weren't the online issues to worry about, and there wasn't the competition to race to market. Neither the X1 or PS4 wanted to be 6 months behind the other, so they rushed out with bugs etc. For those that don't want the bugs, you simply have to wait a year before buying.

Party chat is buggy, I have to switch off and on again sometimes etc. It's not the finished article yet. But look at what the 360 was like when it came out, and what it's like now (software, not hardware). So I've no doubt the X1 software will improve a lot over the years. What I like is that I can use it for games, tv, youtube etc, without it sounding like it's about to take off. I've yet to use the bluray/dvd drive either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looking at the reviews online the PS4 still seems to be ahead of the XBox1. My son's 360 died a few months ago, are there any drawbacks switching to Sony for the new gen?

I'm still loving my Wii U, it may prove to be Nintendo's Dreamcast but the first party games are streets ahead of the competition, Mario Kart 8 is worth buying the hardware by itself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looking at the reviews online the PS4 still seems to be ahead of the XBox1. My son's 360 died a few months ago, are there any drawbacks switching to Sony for the new gen?
The main reasons to choose one brand over the other are: what your mates use, and if there are exclusive titles on one platform you're after. After that, there's functionality to look at. A few titles have higher resolution on the PS4, but you need to sit close to a big screen to notice. A separate box could be available for the PS4 allowing you to play games in another room. The Xbox is quieter and has vibration in the controller triggers (useful for driving games). I don't agree that the PS4 is ahead of the X1.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The main reasons to choose one brand over the other are: what your mates use, and if there are exclusive titles on one platform you're after. After that, there's functionality to look at. A few titles have higher resolution on the PS4, but you need to sit close to a big screen to notice. A separate box could be available for the PS4 allowing you to play games in another room. The Xbox is quieter and has vibration in the controller triggers (useful for driving games). I don't agree that the PS4 is ahead of the X1.

Thanks.

My lad is also a conspiracy theorist and claims Microsoft are monitoring you when playing as you have to be constantly online. Is this true too?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My lad is also a conspiracy theorist and claims Microsoft are monitoring you when playing as you have to be constantly online. Is this true too?
lol. 100% no. You have a camera and microphone on your phone - are they recording you 24/7 too?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
trigaar: i was 14 when the 64 came out i think. i miss it sooooo :( i have had consoles from new and aware of thebug issues, easier. to fixnow with patches and updates rather than recalls, but this just means they're more willing to put them outto marketwith moreflaws in, as you say in order to not be behind.

my issue with fifa 14 is indeed an EA. its stupid as well. When playing a 3 player local match, if one player changes their control settings, it changes all the players. Very annoying in mygroup of mates, as half of ususefifa controls and the otherhalf usethe old PES ones. So its bloody annoying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here