Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gigs retirement - who are the other true greats?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
George Best
Bobby Moore
Bobby Charlton
Kevin Keegan
Gordon Banks
Kenny Dalglish
Gareth Bale
John Charles
Gary Lineker
Pat Jennings
Denis Law
Jimmy Johnstone

Would Ryan Gigs really get above any of these?

If we're going to be pedantic then why is Gareth Bale on your list when Paul Gascoigne isn't?

The greatest English player I've ever seen but wouldn't qualify for this list due to the longevity proviso.

Bale can't qualify for the same reason, yet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If we're going to be pedantic then why is Gareth Bale on your list when Paul Gascoigne isn't?

The greatest English player I've ever seen but wouldn't qualify for this list due to the longevity proviso.

Bale can't qualify for the same reason, yet.

To be honest, I didn't leave out Gascoigne for any reason. Just forgot!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Now that Giggs has retired, who is the current footballer (still playing) with most consecutive Premier League seasons?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No, I just have eyes and a half decent memory.

Seaman was an excellent keeper but not as good as Shilton, Clemence and certainly not Banks. Jennings and Southall were up there though and there probably wasn't anyone in their class until Schmeichel came along.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Five (5) Ballon D'Ors worth 1 SPOTY?

ok mate. :jester:

Oh and what about Stanley Mathews.

No idea why bale is there though.

Sir Stanley must be in there. Agree on Bale, too soon to include. out of interest who out of that list are the 5 golden balls?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Seaman was an excellent keeper but not as good as Shilton, Clemence and certainly not Banks. Jennings and Southall were up there though and there probably wasn't anyone in their class until Schmeichel came along.

Now Southall better than Shilts - that's a good argument to have. Two incredible kippers who at their peak must have been 1 and2 in the world. but which way round?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
While an absolute gent, I don't think Stanley Mattthews was really that good - at least not from the footage that exists. The Hungarians soon worked out he only had about two tricks.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Now Southall better than Shilts - that's a good argument to have. Two incredible kippers who at their peak must have been 1 and2 in the world. but which way round?

Probably just Shilts for me. Jesus I can remember him in the 1969 cup final when Neil Young got the winner for Man City.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
For me (and it's all just opinion and conjecture obviously) Shilton was a great keeper but was found out at the highest level and I'll never forgive him for his awful performance in the 1990 shoot out.

Same could be said of Seaman (Ronaldinho /etc) perhaps but I still rate him as better overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here