Swim in the Sea

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
And catch a mouth full of solid Frenchmans dinner !!!! Mmmmmm mmmmmm !!! :sick:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
This thread piqued my interest as I'll be spending my summer hols in Brighton and will probably take a dip at some point.

I was interested to see that most of the south's blue flag beaches are around Portsmouth and North Kent, with Littlehampton being the only Sussex beach with a blue flag award.

This has got me wondering now as to the cleanliness of Brighton beach.

http://www.blueflag.org/menu/awarded-sites/2013/northern-hemisphere/england

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This thread piqued my interest as I'll be spending my summer hols in Brighton and will probably take a dip at some point.

I was interested to see that most of the south's blue flag beaches are around Portsmouth and North Kent, with Littlehampton being the only Sussex beach with a blue flag award.

Blue Flags are only as good as the time when the measurement is/are taken. Best to make your own judgement should you wish. It is in the day or two after heavy rain storms when overflows spill out to sea that are to be avoided
Calm & sunny days pre swimming are best preferably early evening high tide after the hot pebbles have warmed the leading edge

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Talk to people who swim in the sea year round and many would tell you that Spring/Summer is the least enjoyable. The more you swim in cold water the more you enjoy it (and trust me, I hate the cold a lot more than the next man). Cycling the miles home from a freezing cold sea swim I fly along like I'm on rocket fuel (the endorphin high). Cycling home from Hove beach yesterday was more of a mundane ride. Roll on December.

Respect Cheeky, respect.

Had it been any colder there is no way I could have stayed in longer than a quick dip under the water. I will take it on trust the more you swim in cold water - the more you enjoy it!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The Blue Flag award is quite an expensive undertaking I believe with various criteria to meet. Its a good status to have, but the absence of a Blue Flag rating is not the absence of excellent water quality, its can just be the absence of not going for the Blue Flag status.

The Marine Conservation Society has recommended beaches with a rating of excellent water quality which both Hove and Brighton achieve, and they test most of the beaches in the UK.

http://www.goodbeachguide.co.uk/how-we-recommend-beaches

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Warmer? I had a paddle on Saturday and it was far colder than I was expecting. Despite the temp. being 2oC above average for the time of year.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I expect Brighton and Hove will get their blue flags back this year; it was just the crap weather last spring that saw them lose the status.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Does this thread confirm that the long-standing belief that no local would ever swim in the sea is now and truly dead?

Who had that belief? Really the first I've heard of it. If it was alive do consider it dead. I'm Brighton born and bred - been swimming in the sea since I was three.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Blue Flags are only as good as the time when the measurement is/are taken. Best to make your own judgement should you wish. It is in the day or two after heavy rain storms when overflows spill out to sea that are to be avoided
Calm & sunny days pre swimming are best preferably early evening high tide after the hot pebbles have warmed the leading edge

Just been in & by a good margin was the warmest swim in England in my lifetime. Never before could I stand, waist deep having a chat beforehand for 20 mins
Marvellous

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
More sea swims already this year than in the last two summers put together. Very pleasant indeed. Take the plunge if you haven't already, or don't normally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here