Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Heard the expression at one company i worked at. Convinced that no one actually understood what it meant - I still don't :)

Actually very used to the Straw Man principle, we used it all the time………and it’s been around for donkey’s years. Imported from the US (obviously - although I heard it described as a ‘Straw Dog’ there sometimes) - it is just a brainstormed simple draft proposal intended to generate discussion of its disadvantages and to provoke new ideas……:)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The boss of my last job was easily one of the biggest bell cheese's I've ever met. He would constantly make nasty digs about people and then claim to be joking, when in actual fact he was nothing more than a horrible turdy spunk bubble of a ****.
I started looking for a new job after only two weeks there, one of the guys told me to get out as soon as I started, by the time I left, 3 months after joining, 5 of us had left, in a team of 10!
We all got together for a drink the other night and shared a few stories, I hadn't been told about this until the other night but, over Easter the manager brought everyone a crème egg, everyone except a young girl in the office. When she asked him why she hadn't been given one, he replied "well, you are the fattest one here, figured you had enough." Apparently not the first time he had made comments like that either, he was then heard telling her to be careful sitting down as she may snap the chair.
If I had heard it, I'd have happily lost my job by knocking the little wanker out. Thankfully we have all found new jobs and my current job is such a far cry from that toxic atmosphere. Everyone is respectful, happy and polite and my manager tells me on a daily basis how glad she is that she hired me as I'm doing a blinding job.
I don't usually wish ill of people, but I sincerely hope that he gets syphilis, very painful syphilis.

this sinks far far below the level of our every day bell cheese. just a narcissistic and lonely bully

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
potentially fife-changing research

Why would you want to do that?

It's a lovely place

fife.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I feel I have a leg in both camps, I'm Self Employed but also work as an Hourly Paid Lecturer at a University.

The amount of bollocks I get in my main job is negligble, the amount I get as a Lecturer is phenonemal.

However I have found out if I ignore it, it goes away. I'm not far off retirement and don't give a flying one in any case.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Heard the expression at one company i worked at. Convinced that no one actually understood what it meant - I still don't :)

My conclusion, and this is very much a guess, is it's a draft. i.e. a stick man and I have to put the clothes etc on it? In other words what the phrase really means is I'll do a little as possible and send it to you to do the hard graft.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In the style of the Zoom watercooler chat incident above, our company recently did a survey on how people were feeling about working from home (delighted) and how much they were missing social interaction with their colleagues (not at all). Despite the majority of people expressing zero interest in the idea, it was decided by some absolute lunatic that a weekly 45 minute Zoom quiz would be put in everyone's calendar, including the phrase 'All Hands', which already makes me want to set fire to the entire world, in a bid to 'get everyone involved' and make sure no one feels 'isolated' at home.

Happily for those of us with a brain, the first edition of this quiz was such a monumental disaster that the recurring Outlook calendar invite was withdrawn with no further comment. Highlights of the failed edition included the cretinous quiz master having the wrong answer for the very first question of the whole thing, someone else forgetting to mute themselves and asking his Alexa for the answer to most questions (which the rest of us could then hear and therefore copy the answer, with virtually everyone ending up with the same overall score) and a work-related question which revealed that one of the team is currently pregnant, but she didn't want anyone to know and had told the quiz master in secret the week before.

We have a quiz on the monthly team meeting - which is today - with a different quiz master each time. After a derisory bonus, there is a question about how much the scheme should have paid out if the Revenue and Profit were X and Y, a question about the Latin for Squirrel after one of the team manager regalled a story about how he had to come back from the pub and murder one that was half alive and trapped in his loft and a question about Tax codes to wind up a bloke whose been stiffed recently by HMRC.

Lets see how that all goes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I feel I have a leg in both camps, I'm Self Employed but also work as an Hourly Paid Lecturer at a University.

The amount of bollocks I get in my main job is negligble, the amount I get as a Lecturer is phenonemal.

However I have found out if I ignore it, it goes away. I'm not far off retirement and don't give a flying one in any case.

I read that as you have leg cramps, thinking what's that got to do with this thread, :lolol:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
The covid restrictions at our place have meant that only 'essential' workers have to attend site, others WFH.

Like many places, things like one way systems and other limitations were introduced including all lavatories being designated as unisex single occupancy instead of tradional 'Gents' and 'Ladies'.

The office administrator is a nice enough lady, a bit Mummsy. She's in charge of ensuring all the covid rules are followed - despite working from home (?)

She actually had to come into work earlier this week, to 'oversee the journey towards increased site attendance'. We've just had an e-mail asking us not to leave the seat up in the ladies loo.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The covid restrictions at our place have meant that only 'essential' workers have to attend site, others WFH.

Like many places, things like one way systems and other limitations were introduced including all lavatories being designated as unisex single occupancy instead of tradional 'Gents' and 'Ladies'.

The office administrator is a nice enough lady, a bit Mummsy. She's in charge of ensuring all the covid rules are followed - despite working from home (?)

She actually had to come into work earlier this week, to 'oversee the journey towards increased site attendance'. We've just had an e-mail asking us not to leave the seat up in the ladies loo.

She's an essential worker. :mad:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Maybe you could reply, and ask her not to put the seats down - as it makes it more of a hassle for us gents...!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Maybe you could reply, and ask her not to put the seats down - as it makes it more of a hassle for us gents...!

What hassle? Just leave it down.

I always figure if they can't be bothered to put it back up, they won't mind a bit of a splash here and there.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
this sinks far far below the level of our every day bell cheese. just a narcissistic and lonely bully

Totally agree. We are all convinced he has serious issues. His mood swings are so bipolar, he's a sociopath, definitely narcissistic and 100% a bully.
I never met his boyfriend, but apparently he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, amazed he puts up with this clown.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Totally agree. We are all convinced he has serious issues. His mood swings are so bipolar, he's a sociopath, definitely narcissistic and 100% a bully.
I never met his boyfriend, but apparently he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, amazed he puts up with this clown.

Sounds like an all round big dick

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I may be in a minority, but I use the phrase 'take ownership'. I quite like that one.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Actually very used to the Straw Man principle, we used it all the time………and it’s been around for donkey’s years. Imported from the US (obviously - although I heard it described as a ‘Straw Dog’ there sometimes) - it is just a brainstormed simple draft proposal intended to generate discussion of its disadvantages and to provoke new ideas……:)
Yes, I've worked in place where it's called that, and also firms where its called an Aunt Sally

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
So, I'm rapidly approaching 60 and have been in business for years, as you can imagine. I've run things up flag poles, reached out, embraced change, thought inside and outside the box and held way too many thoughts! But, today, on a call someone was tasked with sending me a draft of a project, a simple outline .... in the covering e-mail he said:

"I've sent you the attached straw man to get things going" ...... WTAF!

I went onto this thread for the first time in a few weeks and chuckled at the Straw Man comment. First report I read this morning for work was using the very same term. Not sure what it means as it wasn’t a draft report .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here