Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Probably mentioned this person before.

One of my colleagues works 20 hours a week. As such, they do not accrue nearly as many holiday hours as the rest of us do. So let's say they only get 80hours, while the rest of us get double that. Which is reasonable, no?

Over the space of four or five weeks, they managed to use ALL of their allowance. Bear in mind that it takes the rest of us nearly a year to take that much holiday.

I'd say that it added to our workload but they're neither use nor ornament so we only missed them insofar as we didn't see them for that period of time.

When they got back to work, we'd just been paid and immediately they made a beeline for the manager claiming to have been severely underpaid and that they were having a problem booking more holiday. So we went through their rota with them and reminded them that at our company, if you take annual leave you only get paid for your basic contracted hours only to be met with the fact that, as it was summer, they assumed they'd be getting paid for potential overtime hours as well (what?). Not believing we had to tell them this, and not being able to dumb it down further, we pointed out that you will only be paid overtime if you work overtime.

Eventually they refused to stop complaining that people get paid more so the deputy manager stopped explaining and shouted "you decided that you'd book your entire annual leave allowance at once, haven't been here for five weeks and you have left holes that your colleagues have had to fill, so don't be so stupid".

We thought that's the last we'd hear of this matter, but every time we see them now they tell about how it's completely unfair and that management are bullying them. As I've said before, working without them wouldn't seem like a sweat because they add nothing, but the relentless stupidity is taking it's toll. We we've told our supervisor to deal with it (which was met with 'that's for me to do' and no action) and our managers genuinely seem to be oblivious despite seeing it every day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

One of my colleagues works 20 hours a week. As such, they do not accrue nearly as many holiday hours as the rest of us do. So let's say they only get 80hours, while the rest of us get double that. Which is reasonable, no?

Over the space of four or five weeks, they managed to use ALL of their allowance. Bear in mind that it takes the rest of us nearly a year to take that much holiday.

I'd say that it added to our workload but they're neither use nor ornament so we only missed them insofar as we didn't see them for that period of time.

When they got back to work, we'd just been paid and immediately they made a beeline for the manager claiming to have been severely underpaid and that they were having a problem booking more holiday. So we went through their rota with them and reminded them that at our company, if you take annual leave you only get paid for your basic contracted hours only to be met with the fact that, as it was summer, they assumed they'd be getting paid for potential overtime hours as well (what?). Not believing we had to tell them this, and not being able to dumb it down further, we pointed out that you will only be paid overtime if you work overtime.

Eventually they refused to stop complaining that people get paid more so the deputy manager stopped explaining and shouted "you decided that you'd book your entire annual leave allowance at once, haven't been here for five weeks and you have left holes that your colleagues have had to fill, so don't be so stupid".

We thought that's the last we'd hear of this matter, but every time we see them now they tell about how it's completely unfair and that management are bullying them. As I've said before, working without them wouldn't seem like a sweat because they add nothing, but the relentless stupidity is taking it's toll. We we've told our supervisor to deal with it (which was met with 'that's for me to do' and no action) and our managers genuinely seem to be oblivious despite seeing it every day.

Wow. Just wow.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Also:

New hires who are incompetent and otherwise couldn't give a shit but don't get sacked
When the people near the top send out unimportant or inappropriate emails, which fill up your inbox, then the sender tries to recall them and you get a new message detailing the content of the recalled email, plus the fact that it was recalled.

On their first day the introductory email says "they'll take the company forward". Then all of your decent coworkers leave because this person has made ridiculous controversial new rules.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

my god i'm glad i don't have to deal with that kind of bollox...i honestly wouldn't be able to keep my trap shut.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We've had a proper workplace FLOUNCE today, unlike anything I've ever witnessed. A few months ago we recruited for an apprentice to come and join a newly set up department, WITH THE POTENTIAL to manage things if business in that area takes off. Since day one, this chap has been going around telling everyone, and introducing himself to clients and visitors, as the manager.

Most people have been casually sniggering about this for weeks, but without saying anything directly to him, as it's been pretty harmless. Today, an email goes around from the Group Finance Director outlining budget allocation for next year's spending pots per deparment. The figure for the new department was directed to the guy who actually has responsibility for it rather than the apprentice (who was included on the email chain). His bold move was to reply-all to the email thread and basically correct the GFD saying that as he was managing the new department, the budget should have been discussed with him in the first instance. You could almost hear a collective intake of breath from everyone in the building when this little missive dropped into our inboxes.

The GFD replied, putting him well in his place and reminding everyone that he was an apprentice, still on his probation and certainly not in any position of management or authority. I was actually cringing in my chair, thinking how I'd feel if I'd been on the end of this.

The apprentice packed up his things instantly, told everyone that he'd be undermined from day one, misled about the role he was undertaking and generally how unfair the whole world was.

Textbook flounce.

That is brilliant, the reply all was a magnificent touch there too. Got to love an employee with delusions of grandeur being slapped down by senior management.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
We've had a proper workplace FLOUNCE today, unlike anything I've ever witnessed. ......

Textbook flounce.

Actually what you've described is really poor management. His manager should have taken him to one side as soon as he was aware of his behaviour and explained the exact situation. They've allowed his misunderstanding/ delusion to grow and have in effect set him up for this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Actually what you've described is really poor management. His manager should have taken him to one side as soon as he was aware of his behaviour and explained the exact situation. They've allowed his misunderstanding/ delusion to grow and have in effect set him up for this.
You're correct....but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as funny

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A GRADUATE has just started working for me. You know, the ones who think in 2 years time they will be CEO because they did a bit of bizniz study at Poly.

I'm not sure if bursting his balloon of ambition will be one of happiness or abject misery. I'll keep you all posted.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
We have a shower room ****. Incapable of opening shower door, grabbing towel, drying off the worst in the cubicle, drying feet and stepping into changing bit.

Instead..leaves water everywhere, puts shoes on and walks over it, leaving muddy puddles for the next person. **** knows what state these people's houses are like. ****.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I'm surprised this employee hasn't brought a formal grievance against the manager as clearly being shouted at and being called stupid is unacceptable and in the PC HR world is likely to be viewed as bullying.

The fact that the employee was under the impression that they would get paid more, indicates that the induction programme for new employees is not pitched at the right level to ensure that this is fully understand by the employee shortly after they start.

As a minimum the manager needs to build bridges with this employee to stop the perception of bullying becoming ingrained, otherwise a constructive dismal claim may well be becoming your way.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

He did, and his manager's manager. Again, and again, and again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm surprised this employee hasn't brought a formal grievance against the manager as clearly being shouted at and being called stupid is unacceptable and in the PC HR world is likely to be viewed as bullying.

The fact that the employee was under the impression that they would get paid more, indicates that the induction programme for new employees is not pitched at the right level to ensure that this is fully understand by the employee shortly after they start.

As a minimum the manager needs to build bridges with this employee to stop the perception of bullying becoming ingrained, otherwise a constructive dismal claim may well be becoming your way.

What a load of old nonce. This employee is clearly a complete IMBECILE. Anyone who needs to be sat down and explained that you don't get paid overtime when you haven't worked it, probably also struggles with the daily concept of dressing themselves in the morning.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What a load of old nonce. This employee is clearly a complete IMBECILE. Anyone who needs to be sat down and explained that you don't get paid overtime when you haven't worked it, probably also struggles with the daily concept of dressing themselves in the morning.

Maybe but they should not be shouted at, or called stupid in front of other employees.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011

with respect, even though they usually work 20 hours a week so should be familiar with the work, we regularly (in fact, daily) have to tell/show them:

-how to do their job (uses the don't work here as much card)
-not to leave half drunk cups of water around the workplace, if they are to bring some in it has to be in a container (they have a tendancy to leave cups of it next to sockets, computers, in public areas and tends not to see a problem with this)
-to be present on the sales floor at all times when working alone (an expensive load of stock got stolen the other day beause they turned their back, they then blamed the manager until we proved the manager wasn't present on CCTV)
-to get to work before their shift starts to be ready to work when it starts (feels entitled to start 15 mins late because she should be able to eat/drink/get ready but doesn't want to do it on her time)

By no means would I ever talk to them like manager did, because it's not my job. If I was a manager, than yes, I would. It's not on me to deal with it but despite repeated and thorough explaining how the job works, we shouldn't have to just tolerate it.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
The colleague in question told me forthwith when I asked how management were bullying them. It was a one-to-one conversation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe but they should not be shouted at, or called stupid in front of other employees.

Sounds like this was just the latest incident in a prolific period of persistant BELLCHEESERY though. The fact that the offending bellcheese was still arguing the toss after having had it explained several times over made her fair game IMO.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Ahem...
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4109

"Guaranteed and normal non-guaranteed overtime should be considered when calculating a worker's statutory holiday pay entitlement"

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
on a bit of a tangent but how come they were able to take all their leave in one go so early in the year? I'm probably missing something but where I have worked you normally can't take more leave than you have accrued?

Common sense can be applied to the above, but if I went to my boss and said I wanted to take all my annual leave this early on I think I'd have it declined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here