Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Another bell-cheese (or should that be bell-paneer) customer last night:
cust: we cannot connect to our device
me: I've checked it. your interface is set wrong. If I change it from 10gig to 1gig it comes up.
cust: our technician has changed the cable
me : no. your interface is set wrong. you need to set it to 10gig
cust : kindly send a technician
me : right. I have set it to 1gig. In 2 hours I will set it back to 10gig
<a hour passes>
cust : we can see our device now.
me : I know. I have set it back to 10gig, please modify your settings to get it working correctly.
cust : It has gone down again. kindly set it as it was before
<sets it back to 1gig>
cust : this is still faulty, we can only pass 1gig.
me : AAAAAARRGGGHHHHHHH !!!!

Poster; I'm with the customer, wtf are going on about?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’m with you....”your interface is set wrong” ????

A Speed / Duplex mismatch. It's why 90% of IT shit doesn't work properly. Talking Bens Grandad through it would take approximately 3 weeks 2 days and 5 hours.

In simple terms its the way everyone sings and claps too quickly to the music during GOSBTS causing it to go horribly wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
me: I've checked it. your interface is set wrong. If I change it from 10gig to 1gig it comes up.
<a hour passes>
me : I know. I have set it back to 10gig, please modify your settings to get it working correctly.
<sets it back to 1gig>

No wonder the customer wanted you to send a technician. Or at least someone who could translate gibberish into english :lol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A Speed / Duplex mismatch. It's why 90% of IT shit doesn't work properly. Talking Bens Grandad through it would take approximately 3 weeks 2 days and 5 hours.

In simple terms its the way everyone sings and claps too quickly to the music during GOSBTS causing it to go horribly wrong.

Too many eels in my hovercraft, maybe?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
<a hour passes>
<sets it back to 1gig>

I’m with the customer on this one. You don’t work for Virgin Media by any chance do you? :lolol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I’m with the customer on this one. You don’t work for Virgin Media by any chance do you? :lolol:

The customer ordered a 10 gig service because they want to pass up to 10 gig of data. Common sense would tell you that if you've set your kit to 1 gig, it isn't going to pass 10 gig.
This isn't consumer broadband.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The customer ordered a 10 gig service because they want to pass up to 10 gig of data. Common sense would tell you that if you've set your kit to 1 gig, it isn't going to pass 10 gig.
This isn't consumer broadband.
To be fair, I read it 2 or 3 times before getting what you were on about and I am in networking. It's just your wording could have been a bit better which I am sure was different when talking directly to them.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Does anyone elses company have the dreaded 'huddle boards'?
Where every day every team (we have about 20) have to get up in front of their own team board and talk through the succeses and issues of the day, followed by a huddle review with questions like 'was everyone standing and paying attention (No), did everyone contribute (No).
Complete waste of 15 minutes for everyone concerned.

As someone who likes as little interaction with fellow team members as possible it's particularly painful when having to go through the daily issues (same as yesterday), and plans for the coming day (same as yesterday).

Please say its not just my company? Actually I was visiting my father in law in hospital last week and saw they had huddle boards as well!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Where every day every team (we have about 20) have to get up in front of their own team board and talk through the succeses and issues of the day, followed by a huddle review with questions like 'was everyone standing and paying attention (No), did everyone contribute (No).

As someone who likes as little interaction with fellow team members as possible it's particularly painful when having to go through the daily issues (same as yesterday), and plans for the coming day (same as yesterday).

Please say its not just my company? Actually I was visiting my father in law in hospital last week and saw they had huddle boards as well!

'Comm Cells' (cell being the operative word) at my place.
Pointless ****. Sounds eerily similar to your daily experience.

Too much sense to do it weekly or as a need creates and call it something radical like, oh I don't know, a...meeting?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Wow so glad I work from home, if this is starting to on in offices. It sounds like my worse nightmare.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Even our our place doesn’t do that. FFS.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

That sounds like a ****ing nightmare. I’d leave if I were you. No way I could put up with that shite.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here