Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I have been working in big companies for long enough to be virtually fluent in corporate bellcheese bingo (or CBB for short). However, there's a new one that has been creeping in at work with annoying regularity - the use of sunset or sunsetting as a verb.

Sure, on the surface it is not the most annoying phrase that's kicking around the boardroom but I challenge you not to plot some sort of murderous rage when you hear someone say 'how's the sunsetting of X product going' for about the twentieth time this bloody week.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have been working in big companies for long enough to be virtually fluent in corporate bellcheese bingo (or CBB for short). However, there's a new one that has been creeping in at work with annoying regularity - the use of sunset or sunsetting as a verb.

Sure, on the surface it is not the most annoying phrase that's kicking around the boardroom but I challenge you not to plot some sort of murderous rage when you hear someone say 'how's the sunsetting of X product going' for about the twentieth time this bloody week.
We’re all complicit though, we need to call this bullshit out on the spot. Just tell said person they talk like an arse and to stop talking in such obfuscating language eg ‘I replied recently to someone who was asking for my help by ‘reaching out to me’...I stopped them and said I never help anyone ‘reaching out to me. But if they simply wanted to CONTACT me I’d be happy to help. Besides it’s also a good chance to ask them if they’re a member of the Four Tops (that old chestnut just to mock them a bit more)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A few days ago me and my two rota partners were invited to go on a training session being run as a skype meeting by a developer from India.
Aside from the fact that his rather thick, mumbly accent made him very difficult to understand, we quickly came to realise that this thing that he, and his team of 200 developers, had created was of absolutely no use whatsoever to us. Despite raising this he ploughed on regardless. When he came to ask if there were any questions, he seemed surprised there were none (I'd been reading NSC for most of the call)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Shortly after arriving in the office this morning I received emails from the irritating CJTC and the utterly useless intern, both saying they're working from home today. Result!

The CJTC is very strictly Jewish, meaning he refuses to work once the sun goes down on Friday, so obviously he finishes very early this time of year. I'm happy to respect his beliefs even though I don't really get it myself. It's funny though, he still leaves at 4pm in June when the sun goes down after 9pm. :shrug:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A term I've come across recently at work is "dogfooding". It had me thoroughly confused and means testing a solution ourselves, in daily use, before releasing it for others. Can't for the life of me see how that is related to dogfood.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
A term I've come across recently at work is "dogfooding". It had me thoroughly confused and means testing a solution ourselves, in daily use, before releasing it for others. Can't for the life of me see how that is related to dogfood.

It's from the term "eating your own dogfood" (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/eatyourowndogfood.asp). I've used that term before which may put me on the BC spectrum (and using the word "spectrum" probably also puts me on the spectrum) but I would never, ever use it as a verb. Was the person using it a consultant?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's from the term "eating your own dogfood" (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/eatyourowndogfood.asp). I've used that term before which may put me on the BC spectrum (and using the word "spectrum" probably also puts me on the spectrum) but I would never, ever use it as a verb. Was the person using it a consultant?

Who eats dogfood other than dogs? That's ridiculous. It wasn't a consultant either.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Sounds much like you are tasting the dog food yourself to see if it kills you before giving it to your dog. Do you like "beefy" dog food better?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Who eats dogfood other than dogs? That's ridiculous. It wasn't a consultant either.

This is what I've found on the origin: The editor of IEEE Software recounts that in the 1970s television advertisements for Alpo dog food, Lorne Greene pointed out that he fed Alpo to his own dogs. Another possible origin is the president of Kal Kan Pet Food, who was said to eat a can of his dog food at shareholders' meetings.

So, it makes a bit more sense with that context. But still not as a verb.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This is what I've found on the origin: The editor of IEEE Software recounts that in the 1970s television advertisements for Alpo dog food, Lorne Greene pointed out that he fed Alpo to his own dogs. Another possible origin is the president of Kal Kan Pet Food, who was said to eat a can of his dog food at shareholders' meetings.

So, it makes a bit more sense with that context. But still not as a verb.

Dogfooding. Otherwise known as "testing it ourselves".

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Dogfooding. Otherwise known as "testing it ourselves".

Not quite... For a software company "Eating your own dogfood" means actually using your own software day-to-day. You still need to test it works properly before you dump it onto a live system though!

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
I had this joyous conversation this morning;

Moron; The client went into store this morning to check the POS and was surprised to see there wasn't any, why didn't you site is as per the brief?

Me: They didn't send it out to me due to a shortage at the warehouse, I phoned them direct and they confirmed this.

Moron: Next time can you make sure you e-mail me as well to 'keep me up to date and in the loop'?

Me: I did, I got an out of office reply stating you were on holiday.

Moron: Oh, I haven't caught up on my e-mails yet, next time make sure you phone the client if the POS doesn't arrive and query where it is.

Me: FFS

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Shortly after arriving in the office this morning I received emails from the irritating CJTC and the utterly useless intern, both saying they're working from home today. Result!

The CJTC is very strictly Jewish, meaning he refuses to work once the sun goes down on Friday, so obviously he finishes very early this time of year. I'm happy to respect his beliefs even though I don't really get it myself. It's funny though, he still leaves at 4pm in June when the sun goes down after 9pm. :shrug:
At my previous company you didn't need to be religious to leave early on Friday, you just had to be a senior manager. Indeed most of them didn't work at all on a Friday............sorry, no they "worked from home".

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
At my previous company you didn't need to be religious to leave early on Friday, you just had to be a senior manager. Indeed most of them didn't work at all on a Friday............sorry, no they "worked from home".

Oooo, that takes me back. Early 90's I was working in Worthing and the feller that ran the office I was in (100 or so engineers) was known to one and all as a complete c..t; Let's call him Brian.

It had always been tradition that, as the work dropped off on Xmas Eve people were allowed to beetle off after lunch leaving a skeleton staff for emergencies. This year Brian put round a memo stating "no-one is to leave early on Christmas Eve and anyone found to be doing so will be disciplined."
About 2pm, Brian made his way through the office (unusual as he always came in the back door to avoid having anything to do with us scumbags) saying loudly "I'm off now, have a good Christmas". This was met by stunned silence from most of those present except for one feller who just shouted "C*NT!" (dunno who it was, I'm admitting nothing). Brian stopped and had an angry stare at us all before heading off home early.

I would still, 20+ years later, push him under a bus, the hypocrite.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
I have just received an email inviting me to " an immersion session ...... as part of the onboarding process"
I only joined the company quite recently , and this surprising aquatic/surf dimension to it has hitherto entirely passed me by.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I have just received an email inviting me to " an immersion session ...... as part of the onboarding process"
I only joined the company quite recently , and this surprising aquatic/surf dimension to it as hitherto entirely passed me by.

You can probably claim the tax back on your speedos :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here