Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
At my work we have several shared computers with keyboards.
I'm getting sick and tired of certain colleagues who eat their food at the workstations, dropping crumbs into the keyboard.
As I work shift, I'm constantly cleaning them with anti bacterial wipes whilst inverting the said keyboards, emptying the crap that has fallen .
Have complained, but it avails to nothing :rant:

Do a send to all email, that should clear it up..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm getting sick and tired of certain colleagues who eat their food at the workstations, dropping crumbs into the keyboard.
As I work shift, I'm constantly cleaning them with anti bacterial wipes whilst inverting the said keyboards, emptying the crap that has fallen .

We hot-desk in our office, so virtually every desk is equipped with a screen, mouse and keyboard so we can rock up and plug a laptop in anywhere.

I agree some people seem to spray their food detritus over every available surface, and several are happy to leave food wrappers, empty Starbucks cups and suchlike on the desks. Try turning the keyboard upside down and giving it a few taps......you'll have enough food for lunch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

However, near-equal bellcheesery can be seen every morning now with a handful of people that must be absolutely paranoid about germs. There are a couple of staff on the bank of desks next to where I usually park that spend AGES wiping every available surface on their chosen desk for the day with antiseptic wipes.....even down to each of the cables......

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We hot-desk in our office, so virtually every desk is equipped with a screen, mouse and keyboard so we can rock up and plug a laptop in anywhere.

I agree some people seem to spray their food detritus over every available surface, and several are happy to leave food wrappers, empty Starbucks cups and suchlike on the desks. Try turning the keyboard upside down and giving it a few taps......you'll have enough food for lunch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

However, near-equal bellcheesery can be seen every morning now with a handful of people that must be absolutely paranoid about germs. There are a couple of staff on the bank of desks next to where I usually park that spend AGES wiping every available surface on their chosen desk for the day with antiseptic wipes.....even down to each of the cables......

Turning a shared office keyboard upside down is one of the most minging things you can do. Even worse if you get the end of a paper clip and rake it between the keys (I discovered this inadvertently once whilst trying to free a stuck key): the quantity of fluff and human hair that comes out is disgusting :nono: :sick:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Turning a shared office keyboard upside down is one of the most minging things you can do. Even worse if you get the end of a paper clip and rake it between the keys (I discovered this inadvertently once whilst trying to free a stuck key): the quantity of fluff and human hair that comes out is disgusting :nono: :sick:

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I do frequently turn the keyboard upside down to feed the starving of the world.
Seriously, I agree one can go over the top with cleaning, but ones personal hygiene has to get accounted for IMO.
There's no need to eat food near the computer, just drop it on the floor:wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do frequently turn the keyboard upside down to feed the starving of the world.
Seriously, I agree one can go over the top with cleaning, but ones personal hygiene has to get accounted for IMO.
There's no need to eat food near the computer, just drop it on the floor:wink:

On the same theme, one thing I have noticed that gets on my nerves is people who don't use napkins, and when they've finished their sack of crisps or whatever it is they are eating surreptitiously wipe their fingers on the fabric of their seat - just have a look at the state of office chairs in hot-desk environment......................disgusting !

God I love working from home :)

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
My sister was once working at a freelance desk at a national newspaper, using the requisite filth-laden keyboard. On day two, she mentioned that she thought she was getting an eye infection. One of the staff piped up, cheerily, 'That's strange - the freelance who used that desk last week got an eye infection, too!'

:nono:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
dirty-keyboard-11031434 (1).jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You must work in the public sector. At my last three workplaces, it was standard practice to eat at desks; it must be more than 20 years since I worked somewhere where eating out was a regular habit

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You must work in the public sector. At my last three workplaces, it was standard practice to eat at desks; it must be more than 20 years since I worked somewhere where eating out was a regular habit

It's a shared office with five workstations.
Believe me, I have to and do get out, otherwise you miss out on daylight (even though there are windows), to get vit d, becoming a mushroom is not a prospect of mine.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a shared office with five workstations.
Believe me, I have to and do get out, otherwise you miss out on daylight (even though there are windows), to get vit d, becoming a mushroom is not a prospect of mine.

At my last job, in winter I would arrive in the dark and leave in the dark. One of the reasons that I gave it up to work from home

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I would say at least 90% of people in my office have breakfast and lunch at their desk, plus of course a constant flow of snacks, cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc that is always lying around. Many have now taken to storing boxes of cereal in their lockers so sit at their desks in the morning ploughing through troughs of cornflakes (adding splashed milk to the dirty desk/keyboard equation). Not always sandwiches for lunch either - hot food is common, including from the Asian place downstairs or the Indian/Mexican wagons outside meaning the smell across the office can be quite notable at times.

We also have a 'healthy office' thing where several large baskets of fruit are delivered weekly and free for anyone to grab. Protocol here for some seems to be to jump up, grab half a dozen pieces then leave it on your desk for 2 weeks to rot before chucking it away when the smell gets too much and it starts putrefying over your stapler.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How I wish I could contribute more to this thread. I feel as though I could add greatly to it.

Unfortunately it won't happen until after I've retired or left my current role, as I fear it might prove a little too easy to identify individuals :lol:

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Whist working for Shropshire Council we had an e-mail from the boss banning us from mid-morning snacks as it was "unprofessional." This was despite the fact that our office was inaccessible to the general public and we had a tea trolley that went round all the departments in a five storey office. The e-mail ended with "a biscuit or a piece of fruit would be ok." I couldn't resist e-mailing my line manager, who had openly said she thought this was ridiculous, whether or not it was alright to bring in a 6ft pineapple.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A new guy started on my team yesterday. He's Jewish, which I obviously have no problem with (although I can't say I like the whole "kosher" thing). However, I came in this morning to discover he's put a large, framed picture of some Hebrew script on his desk. I'm not sure what to make of it. There's definitely some BC potential.

On the plus side, my boss actually sacked the useless Ukrainian guy on my team. He was one of these people who you'd explain something to and they'd nod along saying they understand, but you knew full well they hadn't and they would do the complete opposite to what they were supposed to do. My boss would also tell him not to continue working on something because there were more important tasks, but he'd just carry on anyway. It was like working with a child. I think this is the first time I've worked at a company where they get rid of deadweight :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here