Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL NFL 2014 Thread

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Oh dear what a choke by Manning. Game over when he could have scrambled for an easy first down but threw an incomplete pass instead and Colts scored on their next drive.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A much better weekend featuring some decent games. Championship predictions....

AFC - The Colts are ridiculously lucky to be here. They beat a lacklustre Bengals featuring pretty much none of their offensive weapons and limped over the line against a badly out of form Broncos team. Luck may well get some change out of the Patriots secondary but he will have to be superhuman to keep this one close. The Patriots on the other hand beat a Ravens side who gave it absolutely everything, coming from 14 points behind twice. Bellicheck loves this matchup and in the two most recent installments has blown the Colts away with a power running game, I expect that to happen again. PATS by 10.

NFC - Aaron Rodgers fitness will clearly be the talking point ahead of this one, obviously it helps the Pack if he is a little less restricted than he was this weekend. However, I'm not sure that even with a fully fit Rodgers, you really want to be taking to the air too much against this Seahawks secondary, who appear to be coming into their own as the season has gone on. Key to me is the running game, The 'Hawks have given up some big games this year to big time running backs and Eddy Lacy has proved himself capable. On the other side of the ball much will depend on whether the Packers poor run defence can stop Marshawn Lynch on the ground, otherwise they will be relying on turnovers. The 'Hawks look irresistable at just the right moment and I think they'll win this one easy. SEA by 7

It's also the big college match tonight. Think it's going to be a really good game.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well Dallas lost and they managed to do it in heartbreaking fashion too, so I am happy. Looking forward to the champ games next week should be a couple of crackers.

As for today I am all about the CFB National Championship game. A chance for Oregon to finally win the big one and banish the memory of that loss to Auburn. I can only applaud what Urban Meyer has done at tOSU though, running a successful offence with his 3rd string QB who has just performed superbly in the last two games. Ezekial Elliot also looks to be a hell of running back. No doubt that Ohio State can go toe to toe with the Duck offense, this could be a classic. Glad I am working from home tomorrow as this thing won't be over until around 4 or 5am. #GoDucks #WtD

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Oh dear what a choke by Manning.

Manning has been struggling since the second half of the season after the Rams game. In the post game press conference you couldn’t help feeling sorry for him as he struggled to be optimistic about his future. Maybe he was injured or perhaps he is getting slower, but at 38 time is not really on his side. I think it also rankles him that Eli has 2 SB MVPs against his one.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The Baltimore Ravens are the old Cleveland Browns. When they moved they changed the nickname. The city of Cleveland sued the former Browns owner for the rights to the nickname. So the old Cleveland Browns are the Baltimore Ravens. The Indianapolis Colts were the Baltimore Colts before they moved to Indianapolis in the 1980's. Then an expansion (brand new) team became the Cleveland Browns. So the Indianapolis Colts were the Baltimore Colts, the old Cleveland Browns are the Baltimore Ravens and there is a new Cleveland Browns with no players held over from the old Cleveland Browns (Ravens). The Los Angeles Rams moved to St Louis and became the St Louis Rams. The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and became the Los Angeles Raiders and then moved back to Oakland. The St Louis Cardinals were once the Chicago Cardinals in the 1960's and played some games on the same field as the Chicago Bears. Then the St Louis Cardinals (not to be confused with the St Louis Cardinals baseball team) moved to Phoenix and became at first the Phoenix Cardinals and then the Arizona Cardinals (this was just a name change). As was mentioned previously the Houston Oilers moved from Houston to Nashville and were the Tennessee Oilers for one year before they became the Tennessee Titans.

Am I missing any of the moves?

The Chargers were the L.A Chargers for one season before moving to San Diego.

The Kansas City chiefs were the Dallas Texans before relocating to Kansas.

New England were the Boston Patriots before moving to Foxborough in 1971.

The Jets Started out as the New York Titans.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
By rule he must hold on to it and have entire control when hitting the ground - the Calvin Johnson rule. It might stink as a rule but it was the correct call.

Last week's call in favour of the Cowboys was actually incorrect. So you can't complain too much.

And anything that pisses off that well known Dallas fan Chris Christie is good enough for me.

So as his elbow was down when he was touched and then dropped the ball much later was that not the end of the play? What about the blatant one earlier on where GB bounced it off the pitch and that was ruled as a catch?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So as his elbow was down when he was touched and then dropped the ball much later was that not the end of the play? What about the blatant one earlier on where GB bounced it off the pitch and that was ruled as a catch?

He lost control as he hit the ground - allegedly - which means incomplete. For what its worth I think its a ridiculous rule as I don't see how can emerge with the ball standing up if you didn't have control, but it is what it is. I work with a Green Bay fan who are the most biased, passionate, nutjobs in the NFL and even he said GB were lucky.

But come on - Dallas shouldn't even have been there. Consensus over here is what goes around comes around (although granted I don't work in Dallas!).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Manning has been struggling since the second half of the season after the Rams game. In the post game press conference you couldn’t help feeling sorry for him as he struggled to be optimistic about his future. Maybe he was injured or perhaps he is getting slower, but at 38 time is not really on his side. I think it also rankles him that Eli has 2 SB MVPs against his one.

Also think the game has moved on.

The days when big guys just stood back and threw the ball are getting numbered. Modern QBs like Luck and Wilson are more mobile and defenses are still adapting to this. Brady and Roethlisburger are what's left of a dying breed. I for one, thought the Patriots were lucky on Saturday - those three fumbles could easily have gone the other way.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The Baltimore Ravens are the old Cleveland Browns. When they moved they changed the nickname. The city of Cleveland sued the former Browns owner for the rights to the nickname. So the old Cleveland Browns are the Baltimore Ravens. The Indianapolis Colts were the Baltimore Colts before they moved to Indianapolis in the 1980's. Then an expansion (brand new) team became the Cleveland Browns. So the Indianapolis Colts were the Baltimore Colts, the old Cleveland Browns are the Baltimore Ravens and there is a new Cleveland Browns with no players held over from the old Cleveland Browns (Ravens). The Los Angeles Rams moved to St Louis and became the St Louis Rams. The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and became the Los Angeles Raiders and then moved back to Oakland. The St Louis Cardinals were once the Chicago Cardinals in the 1960's and played some games on the same field as the Chicago Bears. Then the St Louis Cardinals (not to be confused with the St Louis Cardinals baseball team) moved to Phoenix and became at first the Phoenix Cardinals and then the Arizona Cardinals (this was just a name change). As was mentioned previously the Houston Oilers moved from Houston to Nashville and were the Tennessee Oilers for one year before they became the Tennessee Titans.

Anyone for bowls?

Jul 7, 2003

The St Louis Rams were previously the LA Rams - played in the City of Angels and the latterly in Anaheim before being moved out to St Louis. Historically the Ram started in Cleveland but that goes way back to the 1930's and 40's.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ohio State bossing this game. Very disappointed with the Ducks, sloppy play and the Buckeyes are inspired, Jones, Elliot and Bosa all playing superbly. Not sure I can see a turnaround here, hope I'm wrong. Go Ducks!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ohio State fully deserving of their win, outplayed Oregon from the second drive onwards. Urban Meyer is one of hell of a coach, Cardale Jones is the strongest QB I've ever seen and Ezekiel Elliot was (I hate to say it) a joy to watch as running back. Ducks simply not good enough. Will be interesting to see if the Ducks can bounce back next year.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Christmas falls two months early this year. Allow me to explain.

Having first come to my attention in the early days of Channel 4's coverage of the game, with a season which garnered just two wins in 1984, ('That's the team for me', I thought), the Buffalo Bills have always been my team. The International Series brought the possibility of actually seeing them in the flesh at least into vague focus. They won't come, I thought - they already lose games to Canada (no longer, thankfully), so they're not going to want to travel to the UK as well, even as a nominal away team.

Well they're coming. And I've just secured tickets for the game on October 25th. The credit card has just taken a major bashing - I don't think I'll be discussing the ticket prices with the current Mrs Herne Hill - but to say I'm looking forward to this is something of an understatement.

That is all.

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Christmas falls two months early this year. Allow me to explain.

Having first come to my attention in the early days of Channel 4's coverage of the game, with a season which garnered just two wins in 1984, ('That's the team for me', I thought), the Buffalo Bills have always been my team. The International Series brought the possibility of actually seeing them in the flesh at least into vague focus. They won't come, I thought - they already lose games to Canada (no longer, thankfully), so they're not going to want to travel to the UK as well, even as a nominal away team.

Well they're coming. And I've just secured tickets for the game on October 25th. The credit card has just taken a major bashing - I don't think I'll be discussing the ticket prices with the current Mrs Herne Hill - but to say I'm looking forward to this is something of an understatement.

That is all.

Will be worth every penny!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Anyone been to any of the Wembley games yet? I work right in the middle of London, so I'm always surrounded by the events going on beforehand, but haven't yet got to a game - I can't justify the kind of expense it represents to see two teams I don't follow. How have they been?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here