Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Camilla devastated by brother's death" is not news.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
That was a headline on the front page of today's Times.

The fact that she is devastated is NOT news.

If she had NOT been devastated it would have been news.

The fact that her brother died is news.

Everyone expects her to be devastated so that is not an acceptable headline. Thought the Times would do better.

Pedantic? Moi?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not pedantic at all, it shows what passes for news nowadays even from papers that regards themselves as a journal of the worlds events.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else have to look up who the 'Duchess of Cornwall' actually is in real life? Jeez! No wonder they want independence!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Could not agree more. It was also the third item on the BBC news site last night.

Very sorry he's dead of course but in terms of its impact, relevance or salience to the rest of us - a non-story.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But it's more headline newsworthy than some football manager at a poxy northern football club getting the sack because they haven't won anything this year.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Could not agree more. It was also the third item on the BBC news site last night.

Very sorry he's dead of course but in terms of its impact, relevance or salience to the rest of us - a non-story.

No- the original complaint was that the reaction to a sibling's death of "devastation" is not newsworthy, regardless of whether the death itself is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pedantic? Moi?

No. Definitely not pedantic. Petty maybe, in all probability wrong but nothing pedantic about your post. Wife of future king of this country loses brother in freak accident. Yeah, of course it's news. It won't be the headline for long and there definitely won't be wall to wall coverage but it's news nonetheless.

I understand it doesn't interest you but I'm not sure why you get so worked up about it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No. Definitely not pedantic. Petty maybe, in all probability wrong but nothing pedantic about your post. Wife of future king of this country loses brother in freak accident. Yeah, of course it's news. It won't be the headline for long and there definitely won't be wall to wall coverage but it's news nonetheless.

I understand it doesn't interest you but I'm not sure why you get so worked up about it.

If you read my post again you will note that I am NOT saying that it is not news. Of course it's news. What I am saying is that the fact she is "devastated" is not news.

Apology will be accepted.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
No- the original complaint was that the reaction to a sibling's death of "devastation" is not newsworthy, regardless of whether the death itself is.

Sorry - you're quite right - I didn't read the OP properly. Must do better.

Though in my defence, the headline about her being "devastated"is an attempt to add a spurious newsiness to an event which is not news, no matter how sad for those around him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you read my post again you will note that I am NOT saying that it is not news. Of course it's news. What I am saying is that the fact she is "devastated" is not news.

Apology will be accepted.

Apology not given, matey. My point stands - that headline is just a part of what the story is about. Consort to heir loses brother in freak accident.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That was a headline on the front page of today's Times.

The fact that she is devastated is NOT news.

If she had NOT been devastated it would have been news.

The fact that her brother died is news.

Everyone expects her to be devastated so that is not an acceptable headline. Thought the Times would do better.

Pedantic? Moi?

It's a story. He was close to royals.

In fairness, the headline does the job of telling you that Camilla's brother is dead AND that she's devastated.

The name Mark Shand wouldn't mean much.

I suppose "Camilla's brother dies in freak accident" would have been more attention-grabbing - but it wouldn't be very Times-like.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yes, very pedantic. You know full well that the story isn't about her being devastated per se, but about the untimely death of her relative. It's like any other story about the death of...well, anyone. Headlines will often go along the lines of "So-and-so left devastated after death of Blah".

Tell you what's ironic, making a thread about such an inocuous topic on a BHAFC supporters' forum.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here