Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy St George's Day

It's a big deal where I am. St Jordi day. Men give women a rose, women give men a book.
The Catalans seem to celebrate it more than the English.

Excuse my ignorance but are some of our "Spanish" players actually Catalan?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You just want to tw4t him don't you.

I noticed that the 'No' vote in Scotland was holding up nicely until he opened his gob at a rally at the Olympic Park in London. Dave, just shut up mate!

I really am embarrassed by this latest outpouring. This is almost as embarrassing as when he was in China and bit after someone minor criticised the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasn't going to do anything. It's just another Wednesday isn't it.

Never known St. George's day to ever be celebrated. It's just not something we English do. The Irish do it well and I enjoy joining in with them when they do so, and I like a good Haggis on Burns night. Scots and Irish seem to have a history of celebrating these days, which is fun.

Can't say I'll really be tucking into Yorkshire Pudding and downing pints of Bombadier. I'm not anti-celebrating our roots at all. Just can't get excited about something that is forced.

Forced is a good word. The mass celebration of St George is relatively recent and does seem somewhat manufactured. Why cant England stick to proper traditions like dancing around the may pole on May day? That seems more appropriate than some nonsense on a date few can actualy remember.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Irish will celebrate anything. As will the Australians with their ridiculous Australia Day bollocks. It's because they are hugely insecure nations.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a big deal where I am. St Jordi day. Men give women a rose, women give men a book.

That sounds ****ing mental. A book? Woop, let the party begin!!!!! You guys know how to live it up.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Forced is a good word. The mass celebration of St George is relatively recent and does seem somewhat manufactured. Why cant England stick to proper traditions like dancing around the may pole on May day? That seems more appropriate than some nonsense on a date few can actualy remember.

Says the man who advocates celebrating the very recently manufactured Europe day - and I bet that absolutely no-one here except you can name the day without googling it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Says the man who advocates celebrating the very recently manufactured Europe day - and I bet that absolutely no-one here except you can name the day without googling it.

By it's very nature, EU Day has to be recent. Give it time and I'm sure you will all be alfresco coffee drinking and eating pastries with me as we celebrate the joys and benefits of European cohesion and integration. I think we will have to leave a few "suspended" coffees for the Greeks though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22267613

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I love May Day! That to me is England. I'm more than happy to wave my flags at that one; proudly defend men's right to wave handkerchiefs in the air and wear bells round their ankles - and St George gets to slay the dragon there. England at its best.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I work with a Catalan and she bought in a dozen roses for everyone in the office yesterday. Lovely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I work with a Catalan and she bought in a dozen roses for everyone in the office yesterday. Lovely.

What book did you give her?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love May Day! That to me is England. I'm more than happy to wave my flags at that one; proudly defend men's right to wave handkerchiefs in the air and wear bells round their ankles - and St George gets to slay the dragon there. England at its best.

Agree with this. England should further promote this day instead of diluting it with a silly manufactured St George's Day.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
:thumbsup:
Jouster Justine Pearson, of The Knights of the Damned Jousting team, and her horse Des commemorate St George's Day standing on Thomas Telford's famous iron bridge, April 23, 2014, in Ironbridge, United Kingdom. Many people across England are celebrating England's patron saint.
x0tuoj.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here