Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Q&A with CMS and Calde - North West Sussex Seagulls

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
When the performance is as dire as it was say against Middlesbrough, they could have 200,000 in the stadium at the end and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. We'd still lose

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
As I say, don't shoot the messenger, I just relayed information - I did manage to speak to someone from the club last night too. They aren't happy with the early leavers situation either, and will for next season be looking into solutions which mean that even if we are 2-0 down with 10 minuets to go, more people want to stay.

That's what I got from last night.

It is gonna be a lock-in! Doors wedged closed by burly stewards until final whistle..you can only escape if proof that you have something better to be doing.. I shall take a photo of my pile of ironing as a contingency plan....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
so even if the players put in little effort, limp to defeat, someone with kids should stay to the very end and get home 2 hours later than if they left early?

Oh come on, you know that isn't what was meant. There will always be exceptions as to why some people will need to leave a few minutes from the end. People needing to be home by a certain time, especially after evening games where kids are involved etc.

It's those 'fans' who leave early because we are losing, or the football is pissing them off, that he was referring to.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Couple of points from last night.

Professional footballers get some pretty bad press, however CMS and Calde are two genuinely nice blokes. I really hope Calde gets another years contract (so does he) and that we see him at the club for a long time.

Both players stayed as long as was required to sign shirts, flags, programmes etc.

CMS, IMO, sounded a little frustrated. Not surprising when he's suffered such a serious injury, and been out for so long. I think the frustration though goes back a while, as he said he was bought in by Gus to play a certain way, but that never really materialised. He wasn't having a go at Gus at all, but remember he had the choice of us, west ham or Leicester at the time.

As others have said, comparisons were made between Gus and oscar, the role of Nathan Jones was raised, they both think the training ground will really help, rather than training at the uni, across to the Amex for an ice bath, or down to Withdean. They both mentioned the differences between the surfaces at the Amex to the uni. The only question they passed on was re Kemy.

As far as early leavers are concerned, they don't like it, but Calde said they 'respected' those that did.

Some funny comments re substitutions, and how Oscar only seems to make them at 70 minutes. Calde said he'd make sure he was standing in front of Oscar at 70 minutes. When asked if we should play two up front CMS was the diplomat saying it's up to the gaffer, whereas Calde said yes we should as he (Calde) could do a job up front!

CMS said he was ready to start a game, although he didn't know if he'd last the full 90.they both mentioned that not have reserve team games wasn't good for those coming back from injury. Barry Fry is exactly as you see him, always talking football and larger than life around the house.

AITC was very interesting too. I never knew how many courses they ran, and how many people they helped. It seems to be very well organised and professionally run.

All in all an good evening, well organised as usual by NWSS, and well done the club for sending up three interesting guests.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Couple of points from last night.

Professional footballers get some pretty bad press, however CMS and Calde are two genuinely nice blokes. I really hope Calde gets another years contract (so does he) and that we see him at the club for a long time.

Both players stayed as long as was required to sign shirts, flags, programmes etc.

CMS, IMO, sounded a little frustrated. Not surprising when he's suffered such a serious injury, and been out for so long. I think the frustration though goes back a while, as he said he was bought in by Gus to play a certain way, but that never really materialised. He wasn't having a go at Gus at all, but remember he had the choice of us, west ham or Leicester at the time.

As others have said, comparisons were made between Gus and oscar, the role of Nathan Jones was raised, they both think the training ground will really help, rather than training at the uni, across to the Amex for an ice bath, or down to Withdean. They both mentioned the differences between the surfaces at the Amex to the uni. The only question they passed on was re Kemy.

As far as early leavers are concerned, they don't like it, but Calde said they 'respected' those that did.

Some funny comments re substitutions, and how Oscar only seems to make them at 70 minutes. Calde said he'd make sure he was standing in front of Oscar at 70 minutes. When asked if we should play two up front CMS was the diplomat saying it's up to the gaffer, whereas Calde said yes we should as he (Calde) could do a job up front!

CMS said he was ready to start a game, although he didn't know if he'd last the full 90.they both mentioned that not have reserve team games wasn't good for those coming back from injury. Barry Fry is exactly as you see him, always talking football and larger than life around the house.

AITC was very interesting too. I never knew how many courses they ran, and how many people they helped. It seems to be very well organised and professionally run.

All in all an good evening, well organised as usual by NWSS, and well done the club for sending up three interesting guests.

Thank you

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Another thing - early leavers - the players understand it, but really really don't like it at all. This was especially noted v Middlesborough. Calde said you don't normally leave a film early, you stay until the end.
Both players agreed that the fans can make the difference and by people leaving early it really can hurt them and that even if we are losing you should stay until the end. They recognised that the people who stayed are the fans who have been with us for a long time, Calde even mentioned that these would be the fans from the Gillingham / Withdean days.
I had season tickets at both before the Amex , but I go early sometimes .The football some games is so so boring

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
You just have to accept that everyone is different people have other things in their lives they consider as important as a football match. It's not the 80s or 90s anymore, there's alot more leisure activities to choose from these days.

If it's total sh*t I've left 5/10 minutes early to go to the pub many times. Why I hear you ask? Football is about more than just the 90 minutes of football for me, it's the social side as well and always has been. I think anyone who sat on trains all day to watch us lose 3-0 at Hartlepool in Div 4 can probably say the same thing. I sat on a train all day to Barnsley once and then left at half time because the pub was more enjoyable. Ditto a couple of games at Gillingham.

Does that make other people a better fan than me? Certainly
Does that mean I enjoy getting pissed more than watching football? Sometimes
Do I give a sh*t what any of you think of me or my superfan credentials? Obviously not!
Am I content that I choose to do what I feel is right for my life at any given time? Absolutely
Am I selfish for putting my own needs before that of the players? No, because of what they are paid in wages and what I pay in ticket prices.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

one of the best comments i've ever read on nsc.
i sing loads and rarely miss a game, but sometimes leaving a few minutes early (which saves over 45 minutes) is up to me. i think i'm a decent fan but accept the die-hard heroes that stay to the end are better fans than me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
one of the best comments i've ever read on nsc.
i sing loads and rarely miss a game, but sometimes leaving a few minutes early (which saves over 45 minutes) is up to me. i think i'm a decent fan but accept the die-hard heroes that stay to the end are better fans than me.

which of course they aren't.....players (2 well respected ones) got asked a question ..gave an honest answer ..an suddenly it develops into a who's better fan/who leaves early debate ..yet again!...total nonsense

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Calde is such a nice guy he would respect someone who murdered his gran.

In all seriousness thanks all posting the comments from last night. Great to hear 'from the horses mouth' so to speak.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Calde is probably the most frustrated 'striker' in football. "I am like a beeg keed..."

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
I always stay until the end and clap the players off, but on Monday had to leave on 84 mins because I had to be somewhere.....

.....next time I'll take the flack from my girlfriend and be late, I got about three negative comments as I walked out of the North Stand. It was worse than crossing a picket line!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here