Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have kept Gully's Girls?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I miss Gully's Girls, but not as much as the defective sprinkler that would stay up for a few seconds more than the rest.

It provided some much needed trauma in the pre-match ritual. Will it go down? Phew!

Same. Tense moments. Followed by that little final bloop of water just before it finally went to ground like its peers.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I'd like to see Gullys Drag Queens dancing to Danny La Rue singing "On Mother Kelly's Doorstep".

Afterwards we can all scream for a policeman.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Of course we should. I have no idea why it was scrapped, but if we had girls wanting to do it, and enjoying doing it, then why not have that bit of colour to the pre-match.

If the reason is honestly that rubbish posted above about people possibly "perving", then FFS when will we stop bringing everything down to the lowest common denominator in society. Let's all stop doing EVERYTHING shall we just in case someone around us is doing or thinking something they shouldn't.

I agree with Gritt23 again. Maybe it's a West Stand Upper Gullys Girls appreciation group thing!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
it was best that you got rid of them. They would never have been up to the same standard of the Crystals.

No. But then the Crystals are a professional dance group who were together long before Palace decided to get involved and rebrand them for their own purposes. Who no doubt have very strict recruitment criteria (no fat chicks please!).

Ours were just a bunch of local girls who (I assume) trained a couple of times per week after work, who recruited on the basis of enthusiasm rather than physical appearance, and who I imagine would never have claimed to be the greatest performers in the world anyway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do think the GGs were slightly inappropriately aged, personally. Either make them younger and then there's no worries and it's all good clean wholesome fun for the kids, or make them all over 20 and then it's alright for LADS to be LADS for the BANTS etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No. But then the Crystals are a professional dance group who were together long before Palace decided to get involved and rebrand them for their own purposes. Who no doubt have very strict recruitment criteria (no fat chicks please!).

Ours were just a bunch of local girls who (I assume) trained a couple of times per week after work, who recruited on the basis of enthusiasm rather than physical appearance, and who I imagine would never have claimed to be the greatest performers in the world anyway.

Did they have "great personalities" as well? :lolol:

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Yes because they were a part of the match day experience like Fanzone and were enjoyed by many of the younger fans etc Those that didn't want to watch their routine could stay in the concourse with Pint/Pie and watch the TV screens but they showed the face of brilliant work done by Albion in the Community. The club is poorer without them and their enthusiasm I'd say.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I do think the GGs were slightly inappropriately aged, personally. Either make them younger and then there's no worries and it's all good clean wholesome fun for the kids, or make them all over 20 and then it's alright for LADS to be LADS for the BANTS etc.

I really don't see how making them younger would be a good idea, and I'm sure it was said that most of them were over 18 anyway?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really don't see how making them younger would be a good idea, and I'm sure it was said that most of them were over 18 anyway?

Well if they're younger then it obviously just something fun and innocent for the kids. They were aged between 16-20, with some older than 20 but some certainly looking 16 or younger. Not really appropriate.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I thought that was the best thing about Gully's Girls - they seemed an inclusive bunch of girls who just enjoyed what they did. I thought it provided a homemade touch in an increasingly professional era.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well if they're younger then it obviously just something fun and innocent for the kids. They were aged between 16-20, with some older than 20 but some certainly looking 16 or younger. Not really appropriate.

None of them looked younger than 16. Maybe when it started but by the time it was stopped? No way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If they were all 14, then you wouldn't have had all the dubious incidents / relationships between the girls and members of the playing staff, which were surely the real reason for giving them the boot.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I thought that was the best thing about Gully's Girls - they seemed an inclusive bunch of girls who just enjoyed what they did. I thought it provided a homemade touch in an increasingly professional era.

Bingo, my niece was a gully girl and she really enjoyed it. When considering they didn't get paid for game days I think they did a fine job.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bingo, my niece was a gully girl and she really enjoyed it. When considering they didn't get paid for game days I think they did a fine job.

Of course - and it was not that hard a concept to grasp really. And one of the best things about it was they looked like they really enjoyed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here