Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moyes gone!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ferguson supplied the knife when he left 12 months ago knowing he had left the worst utd team for decades as he knew RVP couldn't carry the team to another title this year

This is all conjecture though - you could have said that last year when United won the league at a canter with a squad full of bang average players (by their standards). Smalling, Evans, Jones, Cleverly, Fletcher etc. None of these players has any business winning the league title, never mind easily, yet Ferguson managed it somehow.

I don't think Moyes was up to the rebuilding job personally, but he would have needed more than 1 season to do that in any case, because many of the players he inherited aren't good enough to play at that level, except in the situation where the manager was the greatest manager the UK has probably ever produced.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the high earners start grizzling now. Rooney for example, has stomped off demanding a ridiculously OTT contract, twice now. He for one OWES it to Man Utd to help get them back into Europe. I bet he doesn't.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Stupid decision imo. I know people are saying the position with United is different to 1986 but the team still required significant rebuilding. I guess the majot problem for Moyes this season was Fellaini working out about as well as Veron and Forlan did but I still think he should have been given more time. From a personal point of view, I guess I can only hope that United's downward trend continues under Giggs and then the next manager :thumbsup:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I bet poyet will try out for the job when he gets sacked for gross misconduct from sunderland after being suspended for 2 weeks because he said they had hit the roof...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Heard some old fool waffling on about the financials of Man Utd on five live this lunchtime. Where do they drag these people up from :whistle:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Moyes' downfall was his two awful transfer windows, especially the summer one. The botched attempts to buy Fellaini and Baines on the cheap, then overpaying for Fellaini and not getting Baines, wasting time chasing Fabregas while Arsenal secured Ozil. Mata was a good signing but he needed more steel in midfield and defence and failed to buy this in over the winter.

It remains to be seen how scarred he'll be by this experience. The most likely job is Newcastle - they'd kill for a decade of security the like of which he delivered at Everton. If he didn't fancy the Prem I could also see the Celtic job happening if Lennon gets a Prem job later on this year - they'll need someone decent to keep Rangers at bay when they return to the SPL in 2015/16, but then Malky Mackay will also be in the frame for that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If Arsenal win the FA cup then they will equal the silverware won by Moyes with Man Utd.

Since when has the charity shield (or community shield/cup or whatever it is now) been the equivalent of the FA Cup?

Agree, but the expectations 3 seasons in were huge, and still Fergie had not delivered. They stuck by him though. Good job for them that they did.

On the contrary, the new manager does not have the pressure of following Sir Alex, is taking over at a time when they are at a 25-year low so should find it relatively easy to improve them, still has a number of good players to work with, will be in charge of the biggest club in the country and, most importantly, will have £150m to spend this summer. It's a DREAM job that any of the world's top managers will be desperate to land, with the exception of those already employed by the other elite clubs.

It would be extremely unlikely that even Ferguson would be given the time now that he had when he first got the job. There was no champions league or the premier league millions to lose then!

Of course, we could all be ignoring the fact that Moyes was the fall guy all along. Maybe they knew the problems that faced anyone taking over from Ferguson (and maybe most of the top names didn't want the job on that basis) so got in a cheap interim so that long term big name would be following in the footsteps of Moyes rather than the legacy of Ferguson's reign. Just a thought!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Since when has the charity shield (or community shield/cup or whatever it is now) been the equivalent of the FA Cup?

It would be extremely unlikely that even Ferguson would be given the time now that he had when he first got the job. There was no champions league or the premier league millions to lose then!

Of course, we could all be ignoring the fact that Moyes was the fall guy all along. Maybe they knew the problems that faced anyone taking over from Ferguson (and maybe most of the top names didn't want the job on that basis) so got in a cheap interim so that long term big name would be following in the footsteps of Moyes rather than the legacy of Ferguson's reign. Just a thought!

I would not be surprised at all if that last thought you had wasn't somewhere in the back of the minds of those concerned.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
He should have got more time.

"It's an unusual club Manchester United, it really is," said Ferguson at the Red Devils' end-of-season awards dinner.

"If you look at the behaviour of some clubs, sacking managers left, right and centre.

"I'm not naming any one club - it's the whole bloody lot of them.

"We as a club show patience, show trust, show loyalty and it's rewarded.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Great theory. If that was your plan, you'd definitely give the 'cheap interim' a SIX YEAR contract.

Definitely.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Great theory. If that was your plan, you'd definitely give the 'cheap interim' a SIX YEAR contract.

Definitely.

There was always the get out by not qualifying for CL Football which was always a good probability. If, by some fluke, Moyes' team qualified they would have been patting themselves on the back and it would be business as usual.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Definitely.

If the pay off is one years money regardless, if they fail to qualify for the CL, it's completely irrelevent how long the contract is. I suspect they wanted Moyes to work out but they can't ignore that it hasn't, so may as well act now.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Can definitely see Moyes in the running for the Spurs job now.

I actually like him as a manager, and I think wherever he goes next he will vindicate himself. I think anyone would have had a tough time going into OT after Fergie.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Definitely.

But the rumours are that that was conditional on CL otherwise he just gets a year. So if that is correct they have covered the bases if he fails but have tied him in if he is successful!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But the rumours are that that was conditional on CL otherwise he just gets a year. So if that is correct they have covered the bases if he fails but have tied him in if he is successful!

What was conditional? The compensation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here