Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v M'Boro Thread

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
On what basis? Assuming Reading do win, we're one point off the play offs in 7th. If you look at this league, I'm sure you don't believe we have the 7th highest budget. We've also had a lot of injuries (I know all clubs have them but we've had the most I've ever known in 25 years watching Albion).

Your view is that of an irrational fan who's only started watching since the Amex, which is very different to other rational posts I've seen of yours. You know it will come from some on here but you're not one of them. I really don't understand what Oscar's done to deserve your comments.

[MENTION=12020]Keeping The Dream Alive.[/MENTION]

I find it boring as well. But get some prospective. Three years ago we were at the Withdean. Now we have an outside chance of the PL. And that's despite all of the issues we've had this season. I feel the tactics have been negative, but has Oscar had a choice?? Our squad's strengths are our defence, so it makes sense to play to that.

Ah now we're getting into the nitty gritty. I believe I do have perspective. I'm chuffed that Brighton, little old Brighton, are top half Championship. Honestly it's brilliant. I've been going long enough to appreciate that. Yes we've had issues and we're still 7th - on the face of it that's great. But now look a little deeper. We're not scoring. We're not putting enough balls into the box. We're not using Ulloa properly. This comes down to the way we build up. I think it lacks purpose. Ulloa hasn't been as good this year because, previously the ball was worked into a position where centre backs were asked to make a decision. The ball used to go between the two CB's. Now the ball is played directly into Ulloa (often 100mph at his shins) or high - he immediately has two CBs on him and he's going to have to get very lucky to win that battle. Ulloa hasn't got bad overnight, but he's not being used to his full potential. That's my issue here. Not our league standing, not taking chances against lesser teams (it happens and it's frustrating) it's the football. It's the poor organisation, the rubbish set pieces. In football terms we're going backwards.

Just because you don't rate how the manager is organising the team doesn't mean you don't appreciate the challenges OG has faced. I do, I appreciate OG has had difficulties. I'm chuffed with the way he handles the press and doesn't moan about these things publicly. But I don't like the football, the tactics or the team selection. That's the way I see it and I stand by it.

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I'd have picked OG's exact same team. The only difference is that Calderon would have been my first sub, I'd have wanted him driving the team on.

I hope Lualua is used as an impact sub against Yeovil, his introduction often makes things happen.

fair shout, but for me I dont actually think Bruno had a bad game, not his best but none of them were at there best. He was in my opinion one that was trying to raise everyone. Midfield 2 for me lost that battle and that for me was a big reason why we didnt click

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Let's be blunt about this, it doesn't matter who we play. Some people are going to say, if they are bottom 6 they are fighting for their lives. If the are mid table, they can play without fear and to impress the manager, if they are going for the play offs they are a good side blar blar blar.....At the end of the day it's all about us, not the opposition or the ref or because someone had a steak pie instead of a chicken one. We play well against better oposition and poorly against weaker sides...That's mentality, nothing else and that comes from the dressing room. Under estimate your opponent at your peril,,,the long and short of it is we have screwed up badly....We can beat Burnley, Q.P.R and do the double over the Champions but we can't put away Blackpool, Barnsley and Millwall.....That's nothing to do with injuries or pre season, that a lack of focus and taking things for granted. Very unprofessional.

Rubbish. We play better against the better sides because they come out and attack us, whereas the poorer sides defend deep and we don't have the midfield prowess to break them down. If the players/management were unprofessional and unmotivated QPR, Leicester and Burnley would've murdered us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's be blunt about this, it doesn't matter who we play. Some people are going to say, if they are bottom 6 they are fighting for their lives. If the are mid table, they can play without fear and to impress the manager, if they are going for the play offs they are a good side blar blar blar.....At the end of the day it's all about us, not the opposition or the ref or because someone had a steak pie instead of a chicken one. We play well against better oposition and poorly against weaker sides...That's mentality, nothing else and that comes from the dressing room. Under estimate your opponent at your peril,,,the long and short of it is we have screwed up badly....We can beat Burnley, Q.P.R and do the double over the Champions but we can't put away Blackpool, Barnsley and Millwall.....That's nothing to do with injuries or pre season, that a lack of focus and taking things for granted. Very unprofessional.

It had to happen one day. A kevtherev post that I agree with.

Feb 14, 2010
The players have not shown themselves worthy to play in front of 28000 in the Championship. They are failing and until there is a mentality at Brighton that failure is not excusable then nothing will change. The best supported club that has won nothing since 1910 are Brighton. Failure, excuses, failure. This current side bottled it against a relegation threatened Blackpool at home and against a mid table Huddersfield. They had to rely on an already promoted side to break a dreadful run before that. No excuses, the players deserve all the stick they get.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
so manager. what would you have done different on Monday, spread your wisdom sir as I am really struggling to see how Mondays result has anything to do with Position of players and formation. However you dress it up that it was Oscars at fault, the players did not perform like they should of done and thats basically the end of it. if they had won 4-0 would you have said the same. Let me answer that for you keyboard warrior...NO.

Difficult to win 4-0 when you only have three shots on target. Not sure why having an opinion different to yours makes me a keyboard warrior but there you go. Anyway, if I was the manager Andrews would be back in Bolton and my message to the players would be to stop the pointless sideways passing across the back four and get forward quicker as a team (not hoofing). At Huddersfield and Barnsley and countless games this season we always seem to wait for the opposition to get back and organised instead of hitting them on the break. We have players with pace (Lingaard, Lua Lua, CMS) but waste it in my opinion.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Now you're being deliberately obtuse as well as petty, what is the need?

You know you're not in a minority as this place has shown the last few days. Plenty think Oscar isn't up to it.

Most people are not 'chuffed with the football we're playing'. I'd say they're satisfied with the way the season's gone given the circumstances, but are probably a tad disappointed with some of the football we've seen. There is an in between from thinking Oscar is out of his depth and thinking he's done a fantastic job. It grates when someone like you constantly perpetuates their opinion in a sindey manner, whichever side of the coin they are.

Absolutely not trying to be obtuse, or for that matter, snidey. While there are others on here with reservations about OG, I'd say they are still the minority. See my last post. My opinion isn't based on our league position, it's purely football reasons - and that is about opinions. I don't expect to change anyone's opinion, just voicing mine. Totally agree about there being an inbetween between thinking OG is out of his depth and thinking he's fantastic.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
fair shout, but for me I dont actually think Bruno had a bad game, not his best but none of them were at there best. He was in my opinion one that was trying to raise everyone. Midfield 2 for me lost that battle and that for me was a big reason why we didnt click
That probably looked like a slight on Bruno it wasn't meant to be. I just think we're lacking a bit of fire with the loss of Barnes and Crofts, Calderon hasn't the ability of Bruno but you just know that he'd die for the cause.

When things get tight, like they are now, you need people who'll battle it out.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Now you're being deliberately obtuse as well as petty, what is the need?

You know you're not in a minority as this place has shown the last few days. Plenty think Oscar isn't up to it.

Most people are not 'chuffed with the football we're playing'. I'd say they're satisfied with the way the season's gone given the circumstances, but are probably a tad disappointed with some of the football we've seen. There is an in between from thinking Oscar is out of his depth and thinking he's done a fantastic job. It grates when someone like you constantly perpetuates their opinion in a sindey manner, whichever side of the coin they are.

It's not Oscar that is the problem, it's the personnel. We have patched up a squad this season, have had loads of injuries, kids getting the experience, players on the old side or not quite cutting it with inconsistency and lack of quality.

With the cards Oscar has been dealt he couldn’t do any better.

Some may say that Oscar isn’t good enough and others may say the players aren’t good enough. I am on the side of the latter.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That probably looked like a slight on Bruno it wasn't meant to be. I just think we're lacking a bit of fire with the loss of Barnes and Crofts, Calderon hasn't the ability of Bruno but you just know that he'd die for the cause.

When things get tight, like they are now, you need people who'll battle it out.

Indeed. I'd say Bruno is the better player, but there are certainly fixtures which I'd call 'Calderon games' :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I hope OG has learnt from this season, I hope he has seen how positively the teams at the top of the table have set their sides up. He deserves a chance to build his own side and have a full pre-season to prepare for next year. But if this dross is served up again in the early part of next season I don't think he'll survive long.

I agree. Let him have more time.............. I mean we are not Man Utd, gentlemen, are we ?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Difficult to win 4-0 when you only have three shots on target. Not sure why having an opinion different to yours makes me a keyboard warrior but there you go. Anyway, if I was the manager Andrews would be back in Bolton and my message to the players would be to stop the pointless sideways passing across the back four and get forward quicker as a team (not hoofing). At Huddersfield and Barnsley and countless games this season we always seem to wait for the opposition to get back and organised instead of hitting them on the break. We have players with pace (Lingaard, Lua Lua, CMS) but waste it in my opinion.

ive never used the phase keyboard warrior before. Probably wrong in this instance. Apologies.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It's not Oscar that is the problem, it's the personnel. We have patched up a squad this season, have had loads of injuries, kids getting the experience, players on the old side or not quite cutting it with inconsistency and lack of quality.

With the cards Oscar has been dealt he couldn’t do any better.

Some may say that Oscar isn’t good enough and others may say the players aren’t good enough. I am on the side of the latter.

Very much this. I actually feel let down by the players, fight and passion is not a strong quality in this squad in my opinion.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
5pm Sat could all we different again. Our next game is easier than Reading's...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't think you are alone. I'm not whinging about being 6th or 7th - I think that's ok - but about the way we go about it. It is boring and I don't look forward to watching the Albion like I used to. I have renewed my season ticket but another season of this and I will have to re-think. Oh and 47th year of watching Brighton so no JCL. I don't know if it's all OG's fault but it's dull whichever you cut it. Budget, injuries, whatever.

Can't say I'm in my 47th year - only my 18th year (I'm 27).

Some will put most of the blame on the players, some will put most of the blame on the manager. I'm the latter.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
5pm Sat could all we different again. Our next game is easier than Reading's...

On paper - yes. But our recent ability to beat lower sides in the league is a big issue. There is every chance Donny could do us a favour though, but it isnt just Reading to keep an eye on.

Beat Yeovil, and things MIGHT be better come 5PM Saturday.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Nice you think you know me well enough to know what an agenda I have :lolol:. I have no agenda, I am just very disappointed with our style of play this season. Yesterday was disappointing, we can agree on that , but weren't the games against Millwall, Sheff W, Watford, Barnsley, Hudderfield, Watford, Ipswich or Boro just as bad??? Even some of the 1 0 wins were dreadful to watch. And I really do believe that when we play with 2 defensive midfielders as we have done most of the season, causing us to have to play a more defensive style of football, of course our defensive stats are going to look good. It is virtually irrelevant if we are not winning games, especially against poor teams.

I hope OG has learnt from this season, I hope he has seen how positively the teams at the top of the table have set their sides up. He deserves a chance to build his own side and have a full pre-season to prepare for next year. But if this dross is served up again in the early part of next season I don't think he'll survive long.

We can agree that OG deserves a chance to build. He needs to be given the resources to invest in the summer.

I focused on Blackpool because it was said we had a mostly fit squad then. I think we've massively missed Orlandi's creativity all season and Crofts drive since January (although Stephens is starting to grow into that role). You can't replace those players easily when you're working to balance the books.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here